Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
maybe the buyer is happy and knows what he bought? I was watching a television show the other night, it was showcasing a collection of cars. the owner was proud of his 1,000,000 dollar collection. the walls behind the cars were littered with reproduction signs. I've come to the realization that people with money just don't care about same things that I do.

I still don't think it's right the sign wasn't marked appropriately. if the buyer is UN happy hopefully he can get his money back.

I stand on reproductions and fantasy items hasn't changed

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wish people were not so greedy for $$$. Go out and get a job and earn your keep like most of us

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Junior25 facts are facts. Fact: Colin made this sign and profited from the sale of it. Fact: Colin didn't mark it properly and didn't do his part to protect future potential buyers. He has been in the hobby long enough to know better. Fact: This sign is going to continue to be a problem.

What if's are; what if's. We have all heard...What if your aunt had gonads would she be your uncle? Well you get my drift....

I think this situation is a good example of why we "ALL" have to be very vigilant in protecting our reputations as well as this hobby. Too late to do anything now as far as this sign is concerned. It would be a real shame if we just sat here pointing fingers at each other and missed out on the opportunity to acknowledge what really needs to be done.

Great suggestions have already been thrown out; on what should be done in the future. Let's be mature and not let the drama divide us and another opportunity to take action pass us by. Let's act like the concerned collector's that we are; and collectively move forward with plan.

The plan is simple....let's learn from this. This situation clearly illustrates the need for all items to be dated. Whether it is decal, or a vintage housing that is being repurposed. Hand held engarver's are cheap...future items should get engarved on the back (not inside as sign would have to be apart to be read).

Gentlemen, we have the power to make a difference and protect future generations from this. And, we owe that to this great hobby. But, we have to decide now and take the iniative now to do what needs to be done.

By belittling each other, name calling, finger pointing, jumping to conclusions, being belligerent.....is not going to make this situation go away. But rather, all that bickering will only, prevent us from doing what we need to do. If we know what the problem is then we also know what we need to do to make a difference. That choice is an individual choice and it can only begin with you (me).

Enough said by me!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Does T-way not regularly date this type of work?

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow...The downstream effect of this cool little sign jacking somone for a grand is amazing. I like the idea of marking the decal with a small something.

Before I never would have thought something like this would happen but this post has enlightened me.

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ouch....

Dave, well said....

The Membership here on Oldgas have commented and discussed unmarked items for more years than I have been a Member...

This post, IMO, is a "sledge hammer to the forehead" for everyone in the Hobby... We have talked over and over "what might happen" in the future.... Here we see the results of such an item... Not 3 years, 5 years, 10 years "down the road"... Immediately and within a few different hands... It changed from a great looking Fantasy item.... To an Original Viable Collector's Rare Find....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As said here many times, IF YOU MAKE IT, MARK IT.
Once it leaves YOUR possession you have NO CONTROL of how it will be represented.

On ebay, I understand that if you buy something then find out it's a Fake/Repop & MARK IT, seller does Not have to Honor a Return as item is being returned in an Altered condition.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Aug 31 2012 01:18 PM.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
How many other place in todays economy can you see that kind of return on investment? The main motivation of people making fantasy/ fake items is to make money. They could care less on the future of this hobby...period. Making and selling these items is easy money. Many of us have the integrity to not do such a thing even with our vast knowledge. We will never stop the people that produce the junk...education is the most valuable thing you can have in this hobby. Know what you are buying and dont be so fast to hand over the cash. Look on ebay...1/3 of the items listed are either fake or fantasy. The people will always make this stuff because everyday a new collector comes into the hobby and they are waiting for them to buy this *****. Its a business. Fake items are all over today. Its the buyers job to know what they are buying.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ya, it is too bad that in this hugely popular hobby that some people are still looking to make some big $$$ on known fakes.The maker of that piece used to post here quite a lot.Makes you wonder what other sketchy items he runs through his auction business? You'll lose a lot of customers doing that.Once bitten twice shy!

Bullitt1 #352585 Fri Aug 31 2012 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have bought several things from Colin !always well represented,and original. Am a little surprised by this,and would like to hear his side of it.also t-way always dates his stuff as far as I know. Yeah,it sucks that this happened,but I also agree a buyer should educate himself.there are two sides to every story. Defiinatly got problems with the eBay seller!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Bullitt1 #352588 Fri Aug 31 2012 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WE have discussed this MANY MANY Times in the past. There is no way to permanently mark an item w/o destroying the face/display side of any item that some FOOL/FRAUDSTER can't cover, fill, grind, hide or remove all traces.

I'm sure that 1970mach Never thought of selling this item when it was made or thought that having a Vinyl adhesive adv glass was enough of a dead give away it wouldn't have to be Dated.

Bullitt1 #352590 Fri Aug 31 2012 04:58 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I know a few other auction houses that some collectors will not buy from because of this same exact thing. Once there is a piece like this sold it makes you start questioning other items at the auction and makes you hestitate to bid, even on items that you are pretty sure are legit. That little bit of doubt can really affect the market value of an original piece.

junior25 #352599 Fri Aug 31 2012 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: junior25
To help Colin's defense,I attended his auction back in the spring when he sold this item.Colin clearly stated before selling the item that it was not an original sign but simply a fantasy piece.Whoever bought this at his auction I'm sure is the one to point fingers at.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...bottom line is, he shouldn't have sold it...or, he could have stuck the worn-out Monarch glass back in, before selling it, and smashed the fake glass...problem solved!

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Just curious if anybody contacted the buyer to get their input?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved