Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just checked again. It looks like it could be the same one but cleaned up.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I looked through a number of his listings and they were all reserve not met, doesn't matter what you start at in that case....$9 or $900 opening is all the same with reserve. He does have great signs, and it is certainly his option on how to sell them. I just find it funny how quickly after listing many of them get bid up so high?? I have also seen cases where signs are bid up to JUST under the reserve so the next bid meets reserve and often buys it. That's not right in my book.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Amistadi 101 schools in session.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You know what kills me....it's when a guy goes and lists a couple dozen signs, and the industry related forums go abuzz concerning the listings of an individual. What I dislike is when people start insinuating that the seller is shill bidding to bump the price, or when some people start to question the sellers integrity when perhaps they don't even know the seller personally?

Yes the seller is Rich Amistadi, yes he has the nice stuff, and yes he has the rare stuff, but knowing that...you should also know he has the buyers and doesn't need to play with the bids. He sells stuff all the time, and if you really want to know what it's worth, just pick up the phone and call him. Chances are he'll tell you exactly what he wants for a particular piece, and if you want to step up to the plate and own it, then I guess it's worth what one is willing to pay.

I like his signs, but I dislike it when people that might not even know him start making cheap shots. Show me the book you've written? Show me the 20 wicked signs you want to sell at one time via eBay and we'll see how the other shoe fits. Enough with the cheap shots already...if you wanna own it, buy it. If you don't want to own it, then leave the cheap shots out of the post.

There are enough buyers out there with interest that this and many others in his auctions will sell. He has the nice stuff, and he'll find the buyers. Simple as that.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't skip class. Pay close attention.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Maybe you haven't been around the game long enough

Last edited by Wes Hague; Wed Sep 05 2012 11:02 AM.

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I give up. Some of threads are starting to sound like a bunch of old women that just look for something to bitch about.

I'm out.

Last edited by GasCan; Wed Sep 05 2012 10:27 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That Harley sign on the cast iron sign hanger looks real fishy. I would stay clear of that one for sure!!!

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
Don't skip class. Pay close attention.
EXACTLY ! LOL

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Maybe I said too much? If so, I apologize. I often hear on this forum how we are to help the new guys out and teach them - look out for each other. Guess that's what I was trying to do - without REALLY spelling it out in black and white. I'm no expert, and haven't written any books - but I do have 20+ years experience in this hobby and I'd like to think I've learned a thing or two. I've dealt with this individual in the past, and I choose not to now. I also have several friends in this arena who have learned the same lessons and made the same choice. You, of course, are free to do otherwise. Yes, he has outstanding signs, and yes, some of them do sell. Just seems to me and a few other seasoned collectors who have posted on this topic that the means to the end are somewhat in question, to put it kindly. It doesn't matter to me that he sets reserves and doesn't reveal them (many do this and I see nothing wrong with it). As you say "He has the nice stuff, and he'll find the buyers," I was just trying to help out some fellow collectors here by making sure their eyes were wide open to the whole process - or "the rest of the story".....

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Back to the guessing...rare sign but it's big. I think it a 6500 sign that will not meet reserve at 9k

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice sign with killer graphics. Rarity of sign supercedes size issues. Being a reserve auction, all it takes is one serious bidder.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Where was this company based out of? Pathfinder not amistadi. Were they from the northeast?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Southern Calif.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
To me,one of the best things about Oldgas is that it presents a forum where members with actual experience in certain situations can post a gentle warning without "really spelling it out in black and white".

I think this thread is very tame relative to those seen in the past and to what some of us could post if we really wanted to post "dirty laundry"that we have witnessed and/or experienced.I know could in both cases.

As I see it,some of the guys are simply saying to take care.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved