Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
A recent post sparked my interest to start a new category of "company of the month postings" As Disscussed with Jim, I will host a new company every month relating to the Tire, Battery, and Accesory part of the gas and oil hobby. For those of you who are not familiar with this showcase please feel free to post pictures relating to the compnay or any other company history you may come across. The feature company this month is Exide batteries.

Company History From Exide:

The Electric Storage Battery Company
The evolution of what is now Exide Technologies began with creation of The Electric Storage Battery Company, founded in 1888 by W.W. Gibbs. As vice president of the United Gas Improvement Company, a Philadelphia gas lighting firm, Gibbs recognized that electricity had great potential as a source for lighting, and as such, posed a threat to gas. Gibbs formed the Electric Storage Battery Company to create a dependable mechanism for storing power so electric lighting companies could provide services to their customers if and when it was necessary.
Realizing that a better storage battery was a necessary first step, Gibbs purchased the ideas and patents of French inventor, Clement Payen, to transform good ideas about storage batteries (then widely referred to as "Pickled Amperes") into thoroughly reliable commercial products. With the development of the storage battery, or the "Chloride Accumulator," the Electric Storage Battery Company brought the electric lighting industry to a new level.
The "Chloride Accumulator"
In 1890, the Electric Storage Battery Company installed the first practical storage battery at the Germantown Electric Lighting Company in Philadelphia. The battery furnished the lighting current, while a dynamo charged the battery. Soon after, the battery company received a request for 13,000 cells to power six new electric streetcars for the Lehigh Avenue Railway Company in Philadelphia. These streetcars became the first self-propelled vehicles to challenge the supremacy of the horse. Throughout the 1890s, the demand for storage batteries increased, forcing the Electric Storage Battery Company to move to larger facilities.
The possibilities for storage batteries continued to grow. The Pullman Company used Chloride Accumulators to light a few of its luxury railroad cars, and small batteries were sold to operate electric fans, sewing machines and phonographs. In 1898, batteries powered the first submarine in the U.S. Just before the turn of the century, Electric Storage Battery 2
Company batteries were used as power sources in electric locomotives, streetcars, passenger cars, surface boats and telephone exchanges, and for the nation's first automatic switching and signaling systems for railroads.
As the new century dawned, electric taxicabs first appeared in many large cities. They became so popular that The Electric Storage Battery Company developed a product of greater capacity and less weight especially for the "Ply-for-hire" trade. This new battery, introduced in 1900, was the first to bear the trade name "Exide," short for "Excellent Oxide."
The introduction of the electric carriage as a private passenger vehicle, primarily for town travel, heralded batteries as a means of replacing horsepower. The second development stemmed from a common health problem caused by cars at the time: motorists' broken arms. As a driver hand cranked his engine, the crank often swung back violently, injuring the driver's arm. Efforts to eliminate dangerous engine cranking led to the development of battery-started vehicles. The 1912, Cadillac became the first battery-started car with an internal combustion engine, produced under cooperative development between The Electric Storage Battery Company and Charles F. Kettering. The Exide battery also supplied power for lighting and ignition in this model. The functions of starting, lighting and ignition are the origin of today's battery industry term SLI, referring to automotive batteries.]

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Fri Sep 14 2012 03:35 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
From Ebay; a photo of a 1916 Saxon Automobile pamphlet relating to Automotive Starting and Lighting Systems... From Exide Batteries/The Electric Storage Battery Company...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I've owned this sign for many years

011.JPG
from Butler, PA.

TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Big thanks to "57tbirdkid" Keith for volunteering to take on hosting the TBA, Tire Battery and Accessory, of the Month feature. This is a little different from the oil company of the month that we have done in the past. But there should be lots of signs, info and other memorabilia out there in the TBA category.

Let's support this new feature with your pictures and comments. smile

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here are 2 that I have. Still need to be cleaned.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
First I would like to say a BIG thanks to 57tbirdkid for doing this new monthly post, I enjoy learning about the companies that formed and supported America's passion for the automobile. Here are some photos and ads from the past.

4537794444_61a019a8f3_b.jpg 1912-Ironclad-Exide-Battery.jpg d6ce_1_sbl.jpg Exide Batteries 1929.jpg

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
More.

Exide Battery Ad 2.jpg Exide_Ads-216fz09z.jpg exidefireman.jpg
Last edited by 1937 GMC; Fri Sep 14 2012 07:14 PM.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
What a great idea for knowledge. Have always always loved the EXIDE battery signs but never really new the history. Only own one exide sign and now i like it even more.
Thanks 57tbirdkid.

Gene

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Picked this one up the other day. Unusual color combination,Blue and Yellow never seen before for Exide. Tried to load picture but couldn't get to work.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just a couple of other neat Exide advertising pieces: a light-up clock and a round thermometer. The thermometer is Canadian one made in Weston, Ontario and with a dial going down to minus 50. No markings on the clock face and I haven't taken it apart yet to clean it and see if anything is on the motor but possibly Canadian as well. I like a lot of the TBA stuff. Cheers, Don.

IMG_0263-1.jpg IMG_0264-1.jpg
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
hopefully pic came thru

100_3012.jpg
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved