Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#356264 Sun Sep 16 2012 06:23 PM
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
I'd like give a big thanks to "thermactor" Wes for hosting the Found Along the Way feature for years. FATW is one of my favorites and probably yours too. He's done an outstanding job. It's time to give him a break and have another member to take over.

"oldnfuelish" Mick has volunteered to be the new host. Let's support this feature to keep it going steady into the future. We'd like to have it focused on old gas stations, gas pumps still in the wild, repair garages and a few old car/truck dealerships. Pics of new or old "hobby" backyard stations are welcome too.

Go for it, Mick! And thanks for stepping up.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks jim.
FATW,has long been one of my favorites on oldgas.i love driving the back roads,and finding old stations from an era gone by,and I was always ready and waiting for Wes to start the new monthly post.Well.. gas prices have gone up,and maybe I don't get out on those drives as much,but I am always still looking.And, you never know.. Finding that old station may lead to some signs,pumps or globes.And with today's camera phones,it makes it easy to snap a shot of that old piece of gasoline history.
Tonight I only have a couple pics to start,but later in the week,I am going to go on my pc( which I hardly ever use anymore) and find some pics of my favorite stations .And that's what I'm going to ask you to do also.Doesnt matter if they were posted years ago,I am sure there are many new guys here who haven't seen them. I only hope I can do this as well as Wes did.

So here are just a couple from our recent Wisconsin trip

A very nicely kept 66 cottage station

Nice canopy station out in the middle of nowhere.
So post em if you got em,and let's keep this ball a Rollin! Mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Beautiful brick craftsmanship on that cottage station. Wow!

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The old Shell Station here in Janesville, Mn, it went out of business about 12 years ago. It is now a lawn mower and small engine repair shop.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This old station is about 15 miles down the road from me.

And this is painted on the side of a building in the same town as the Conoco Station, the building Houses a Car Collection.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On a recent road trip, I took these photographs of an abandoned Gulf gas station in Blue River, BC.

Blue River, BC abandoned Gulf Station2.jpg Blue River, BC abandoned Gulf Station1.jpg

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

An old Sunoco neon sitting on top of this Valero station at Schoolcraft & Greenfield in the Detroit area.

Dave

M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Old gas station right next to my office here in downtown Davenport, Ia. The building sat vacant and dilapidated for years. The city offered to renovate it and it is now going to be a coffee shop.

Mac

IMAGE_074.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm glad to see FATW come back into it's own again.Many thanks to Wes for his past dedication.As a matter of fact,he had to post pics of an old station here in ABQ,then and now,that I submitted because I didn't know how.Now,many thanks to Mick for hosting it.

What I like the most about it is how we can see different styles of construction and station use across the country.Here in NM we have lots of flat roof designs,stations that also served as the local post office in remote areas and stations as a part of a motel complex that may not be too common in other parts of the country.

I'll see what I can do with it;especially with interesting murals like Jason posted.Best of luck Mick!!

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Here are few things I saw on the road while on a recent motorcycle ride. Just wanted to share them, the building with the spinner clock & rocker was just amazing. Everything you could imagine was in there. The building across the road caught my attention, thought it was a flea market so I stopped. Turns out it was just an old mans hangout. Once I got to talking to him he said let me show you my other building, needless to say my jaw dropped when we walked in. Nothing was for sale, but he said come back anytime. Gave me his # & said call first make sure I'm here.

Tennessee 024.JPG Tennessee 026.JPG Tennessee 027.JPG Tennessee 032.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's a nice brick building.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
cool pictures- thanks for sharing.. cool

RANDY
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
These two are just north of Monterey, CA

Old Texaco

Last edited by strnge; Wed Sep 19 2012 09:15 AM.

Mike
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Pump in a restaurant in Placerville, Ca

Pump next to house in San Carlos, Ca

Mike
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S