Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#356301 Sun Sep 16 2012 08:40 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Picked up this parking meter set up yesterday. Even has the concrete on the bottom of the pole!

I have the three keys for the meters. The problem is the Fine-O-Meter box has no key for the round door. How do I open it? Maybe have to drill it out?....but would like to see the inside of the door first, could anyone post a picture of the inside of a door?

Also...any idea on what the tube mounted on the pole below the head is for?

Thanks...
Jim

park3.jpg park2.jpg park1.jpg park4.jpg

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just a wild guess on the tube. I'm definitely not a parking meter guy. Maybe for a flag for holidays?

JimT #356351 Mon Sep 17 2012 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That hole in the middle of the door looks similar to a lock cylinder housing. I would start there with a close inspection followed by "tinkering". Someone may have already drilled the cylinder out ?
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
It does not appear that the lock has been drilled out. There is not much to see inside the little lock hole. Half the hole goes deeper.

I know there are (or was) parking meter guys on OG and if someone has one of these that is open.....seeing the lock mechanism and/or the key would give me a clue on how it works.

Jim

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
A small key is a bigger challenge then the cement that was holding it down. smile

I too believe that is a flag holder,to show it was a holiday and not need to pay the meters,and/or they were along a parade route.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe that it is a pay box but with a flag pole attachment. I have only had Curb Cops and am unfamiliar with it. There is a fellow on Ebay that specializes in Parking Meters.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Howdy Jim,
I'll do my best to get you some pictures of what the inside of that lock looks like. They were made pretty beefy.

My guess is flag pole holder too. For those days long ago when God and the flag were honored in our country.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bruzer75
For those days long ago when God and the flag were honored in our country.
Mike

AMEN !

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: bruzer75
Howdy Jim,
I'll do my best to get you some pictures of what the inside of that lock looks like. They were made pretty beefy.

My guess is flag pole holder too. For those days long ago when God and the flag were honored in our country.
Mike

Thank You! I'd like to get it open to restore it and don't really want to damage the looks of the box. I've never seen a setup like it. Must need a unique key to open it otherwise.

The flag pole holder makes perfect sense...it looks like a factory made piece. This unit came from a small town in Northern Wisconsin.

Jim

Jim
these are made by duncan I believe,at least mine is.
you could try a local locksmith who might have a key for it
or try finding out who on ebay knows about these as they may have a key also.
I was able to get mine apart but have not been able to pick it open. If I can pick it open I might be able to make a key for it. It is a double sided key.
I will try to add a photo of the lock. I believe you can buy a replacement for it if you go the drill it out route.

lock.jpg lock1.jpg lock2.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That key slot appears to be a Bell key. They were used on parking meters, slot machines, etc. Most locksmiths cannot cut a key for this lock. It has grooves milled in the sides of the key. I believe that you can probably replace it with a another cylinder lock which you might have to work on. I did know of an antique locksmith,John Guisti, but was told that he passed away some time ago. He could key anything and worked for the FBI I heard.I will check around.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is an exploded view of the lock, the key and the locking mechanism from the backside of the vault door. Once the lock has been removed the guts can be lightly hammered out of the lock housing. The only thing holding them in is the anti-drill metal washer you see in between the key and the lock. Hope it makes sense.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Almost forgot. Try turning the lock with a flat blade screw driver that fits into the hole. Sometimes previous owners have already gutted the lock and a screw driver opens them up.

Parking Fine Box Lock 001.jpg
Last edited by bruzer75; Mon Sep 17 2012 10:41 PM. Reason: Try a screw driver first
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yep...Bell Key.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks much Mike!...the picture is exactly what I needed. Now I know how I can go about drilling it out. I will look around some for a key first....but I'm sure they are nearly non-existant.

Jim

K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
That box is a fine box when you would get a ticket you would drop the amount owed for the fine

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved