Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#360222 - Wed Oct 03 2012 01:11 AM Company of choice for Pump Restoration
henlovestoys Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA

I am just curious

What is your take on what is the most popular company people have decided to restore their pumps after & continue doing so?

Gilmore? Polly?,

Thanks,

Henrik

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#360224 - Wed Oct 03 2012 01:34 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: henlovestoys]
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
IMO, Texaco.... I think I've seen 10-20 Texaco to 1 Polly...

Closer to 30-40 Texaco to 1 Gilmore....

#360225 - Wed Oct 03 2012 02:11 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: Bob Richards]
henlovestoys Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
Bob,

Thanks for the heads up! I totally forgot about TEXACO ...

Of course, a great choice!

BTW, when I checked & saw a REPLY, I had a feeling it was either you or "db". smile

#360228 - Wed Oct 03 2012 02:29 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: henlovestoys]
Dave's Garage Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Abbotsford, British Columbia, ...
Most sold and fasting selling pumps for me are Shell and Texaco.

#360234 - Wed Oct 03 2012 05:15 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: Dave's Garage]
gasmansgp Online   content
Veteran Member

Loc: Severn, Maryland USA

#360243 - Wed Oct 03 2012 07:08 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: gasmansgp]
Let er' Buck Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Greeley Colorado
I would have to agree, Texaco is the predominant pump I see and out of my collection there are 3 done as Texaco.

#360245 - Wed Oct 03 2012 07:12 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: Let er' Buck]
Savinsam Online   content
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: northwestern Pa.
In my area it's Texaco first & then Mobil. People like red.

#360261 - Wed Oct 03 2012 08:43 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: Savinsam]
Mike M. Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Western, WI.
Texaco without question here. Some Mobil but people love the red/white pumps.

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.

#360272 - Wed Oct 03 2012 09:32 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: Mike M.]
Old Iron Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: New Mexico
Around here it seems to have been Texaco first followed by maybe a tie between Mobil and Sinclair in the recent past.Maybe it's because we seem to turn up some nice Bennetts that look good in green and white.

#360274 - Wed Oct 03 2012 09:55 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: Old Iron]
Loyd Pierce Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mt. Juliet, Tenn.
They call it resale red- or for sure sale red. Texaco

#360278 - Wed Oct 03 2012 10:25 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: Loyd Pierce]
DWSheffer Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Hillsdale, Michigan
It's probably one of the reasons a lot of pumps left the factory red was it went with a lot of brands and all you would have to do is decal or pump plate it and add your globe/ad glass and the pump was ready.
Darin

#360294 - Wed Oct 03 2012 12:09 PM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: DWSheffer]
bppierce Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Round Rock, Texas
When I was restoring to resell in an antique store there was no question it was Texaco.
I think the non-collecting public who want one for their man cave or driveway want a brand they can still identify with, and of course Texaco fits the bill. Plus, although very common, the Fire Chief pump plate is large and very attractive. Lastly, resale red didn't get it's name for nothing.

#360317 - Wed Oct 03 2012 02:26 PM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: bppierce]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
Most all equipment having anything to do w/ Explosive/Flammable liquids are painted RED, Fire Extinguishers for putting out fires.
Just like Most Fire Trucks.

#360471 - Thu Oct 04 2012 12:56 AM Re: Company of choice for Pump Restoration [Re: Dick Bennett]
Jack Sim Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
The first pump I ever sold at a swap meet (Iowa Gas in 1988) was a restored Wayne 60 display pump. It was just red and white, no decals or signs. Sold it for $1000 and that was a lot of money for a pump in 1988.

When I took restored ECOs to the fall Carlisle/Hershey meets, most of them were a combination of red and white. I had 4" decals the buyer could put on the meter and red and white would go great for Texaco, Mobil or Standard. Help sell alot of meters.

Jack Sim

Edited by Jack Sim (Thu Oct 04 2012 12:59 AM)

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved