Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#360348 Wed Oct 03 2012 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I bought this lite a few years ago thinking it was an Erie 44 Pylon-Lite. I still think that it is an Erie 44 but something has me a bit puzzled. I am finally working on the Erie 748 that I had planned to use the lite on and started looking close at all my parts to start painting and sorting for the build. The base of the lite is about 12" in diameter. However, the top of a 748 is only 10" wide between the doors. If you mount the Pylon-Lite on this pump, the base will overlap the door about an inch on each side. Is this right?
Jack's book shows a 748 with this light on it so I assumed that it was a correct combination. Anybody know what I am up against here or if this is indeed an Erie 44 lite? It measures 60" tall to the bonnet base and the bonnet is 20" in diameter. It is a red porcelain bonnet, not white like most of the literature shows. Thanks for any input on this...Gary

Erie 44.jpg
Last edited by Rabbitman; Wed Oct 03 2012 04:11 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Erie 44 1948 Pylon-Lite.
Mine is in storage, so I can't meas. Will try to remember next time I'm there.
Do as a farmer or station operator would, make it fit.

Erie 44 stationlighter.jpg
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Dick. I had found that pic of yours when I searched older posts and the base on mine looks a little different. Mine is round and looks a little different at the top, too. I wonder if this one is a different model or just not an Erie. I can make it fit, but if it is the wrong lite for the pump, I would rather not use it......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
1st I've seen like yours.
Yours might've been made by an accessory company [ie; Not Revere, but like company] as a Similar version.
It would fit right in w/ my Collection of Station Lighters, IF you decide to sell.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Leave it to me to find something weird! I'll do a little more research and see if I can figure out exactly what it is. I just cant't imagine that Erie would've contracted a company to make something that wouldn't fit right....but stranger things have happened. Will keep you in mind if I ever decide to get rid of it.
There might be a different Erie pump that is is made for and I could try to find that pump. Like I said, It may not even be an Erie at all...

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
My Erie looks just like the picture Dick posted. It is a cast piece at the bottom, and center of the rods close to the top. I can get an exact measure on the base, but mine has a dropped circle that fits directly into the pump top, while the corners and outer circle support it from the top. Looking at the finial and other parts really gives the appearance of a product made by a lighting company.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Flatland,

That makes me think this one is definitely something different. The base on this one has four holes that don't really line up with the top of the pump anywhere. Also, the Erie literature that I have all says they had a white top. I don't think this one is home made, but I bet it isn't an Erie 44 either..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's a pic w/o the bonnet.
I'd like to see a picture of yours looking up under Bonnet.

ERIE Pylon Lite.jpg
Last edited by Dick Bennett; Wed Oct 03 2012 06:38 PM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are more pics of the whole thing. It is just made differently altogether. At first glance it looks about the same, which is why I bought it. I had seen Erie 44's before but never really looked this close at one...

Erie 44-2.jpg Erie 44-3.jpg Erie 44-4.jpg Erie 44-1.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ALL Pump Co. S.L.'s I have are made for the Mogul Bulb 300W [lg base bulbs]. Yours appears to be the Standard size bulb base.
I STILL like it.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Back last fall we were trying to figure out what this light I have actually was as far as manufacturer, application, etc. I clearly isn't an Erie 44, but today I ran on to this pole light on feebay that has the same exact top. The listing just says it's a pole light. Anybody have any more ideas what the pole light in the listing is than they did on my pylonlite? Either my light was made by the same company as this pole light or it is a hybrid that someone has used the same shade on.....

listing #111046795377

pole light top.JPG Erie 44.jpg
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
That shade on eBay doesn't look the same. You have a later model Erie.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think its the same shade and its just that the picture was taken at a different angle! Sometimes the same shade was used in different applications, just like the Tok 36B stationlighter shade was also used as a pylon light with a yoke in some applications.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Kevin look at the outer curve. And then the top curve starts sooner. And the finial is def different. Different maker.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Clinton, if you go to ebay and look at some of the other pictures, I think it is the same shade. The one I posted does look a little off on the curve of the top but there is another one that doesn't look so different. Mine looks like it had the color stripe around the base even, it's just mostly worn off so I can't tell the color very well.The only difference I can see is the finial, it isn't exactly the same, but I would think there was a good chance they put a bunch of different ones on those shades depending on vendors, etc. If mine is a later model Erie, what does it fit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved