Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#360911 Fri Oct 05 2012 09:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

These have been discussed a few times on here.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Oldgas doesn't have the resources to post every P.O.S. item that is listed on ebay.
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=138279

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
What? Did he think the upside down pics would make it look more real? smile

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #360940 Sat Oct 06 2012 07:08 AM
R
R
The old barn he found this in near his home must have been owned by Cline's Country Antiques, Mount Pleasant NC 28124. They do have an old barn and it is full of rusted signs made last week in China. He picked a sign from the pile that was different than the rest, it was printed upside down.

Steven C. #360943 Sat Oct 06 2012 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: SC62
What? Did he think the upside down pics would make it look more real? smile

WHY MUH GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODNESS YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh , pass the Grits too.................

Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #361454 Mon Oct 08 2012 08:20 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
DB. Not sure what your comment means. But alrighty!

Eddy Smith
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm thinking it means enough with the scouring eBay to post every item you see as a possible fake. There's enough internet police around that we don't need to comment on every fake piece on eBay. It gets old fast...especially when someone's constantly posting about the same thing all the time.

Same holds true on people who constantly ask for value on something in the value thread.

GasCan #361878 Wed Oct 10 2012 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: GasCan
I'm thinking it means enough with the scouring eBay to post every item you see as a possible fake. There's enough internet police around that we don't need to comment on every fake piece on eBay. It gets old fast...especially when someone's constantly posting about the same thing all the time.

Same holds true on people who constantly ask for value on something in the value thread.

I really don't agree here as I find it very useful to see pictures of known replicas and fantasy items, even if they are a repeat of a past thread. I'm on ebay constantly but I certainly don't see every item, and I find it VERY useful when someone posts a known counterfeit.
I feel I'm constantly learning and this is just one of the benefits of belonging to this site that the general public does not have. It was very obvious at the big Minnesota sale when people in attendance were paying hundreds for counterfeit signs that they had no knowledge about! Education is KEY to all aspects of life and I hope members will continue to post the counterfeits EVERY time they spot one, even if it is a repeat for some of you.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #361907 Wed Oct 10 2012 09:47 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH

I really don't agree here as I find it very useful to see pictures of known replicas and fantasy items, even if they are a repeat of a past thread. I'm on ebay constantly but I certainly don't see every item, and I find it VERY useful when someone posts a known counterfeit.
I feel I'm constantly learning and this is just one of the benefits of belonging to this site that the general public does not have. It was very obvious at the big Minnesota sale when people in attendance were paying hundreds for counterfeit signs that they had no knowledge about! Education is KEY to all aspects of life and I hope members will continue to post the counterfeits EVERY time they spot one, even if it is a repeat for some of you.

No offense to GasCan, but nicely said Kevin!!

Last edited by SC62; Wed Oct 10 2012 09:48 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #362034 Wed Oct 10 2012 09:03 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I typically agree with most information given by Graeme and DB, but how someone can say that too much information is bad, I cannot understand or agree with. I'm not sure who the "internet police" are, but I hope they keep on policing, because obviously it isn't working.

Yes, I think it would be ridiculous to post an item if it was just posted 5 minutes ago, but if it is a day or two days difference, it is easy to miss. Maybe if we came up with a more complex database it would make less sense to post repeats.

As far as people constantly asking values on the value threat, I don't see a problem with it as long as it is done in moderation, just like on here.

I don't get why so many of us are against sharing information. I don't care how many times I am asked the same question, I'll gladly repeat myself if it is helping out my fellow man, collector, etc.

Eddy Smith
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Eddy, for the New Collector who have a limited time in the Hobby... Yes, these "notices" are well worth the effort...

Once you have a decade or more in the Hobby. One will see if you are still as enamored with seeing the same "old posts" over and over; As you are now?...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Bob, I'm not necessarily "enamored" with them, but I do see the benefit, and I appreciate being able to contribute some of the little bit knowledge I have to the hobby.

I understand for some more experienced collectors, such as yourself, it probably doesn't do much good though. I don't see how its necessarily bad.

Eddy Smith
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Interesting discussion.I too get tired of looking at the same old repop stuff over and over,but then I remind myself that perhaps newcomers to gas and oil stuff will benefit from a simple warning.From my experience,many of the newcomers are really very experienced car guys just getting into petro stuff and come to oldgas as a source of reliable information.

With that thought in mind,I'm curious as to what some of them might think.

Old Iron #362282 Fri Oct 12 2012 09:24 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Good idea to post items like this. Nice to see someone flagging something for others to see and learn from rather than all the 'how much can I git for this' posts. There are repops and then there are repops. I would say this is a good candidate for the repo album or known repos categories. Regards.

Leverhead #362470 Fri Oct 12 2012 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Last year Jim Potts aka OLDGAS Moderator set up the
Unmarked Reproduction and Fantasy Photo Album
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=21&page=1
ONLY 17 Items have been posted!
Copy the Image to your file folder then do a direct upload [Do Not use an Image Hosting site as after 1 year from last viewing it most likely will be deleted by Hosting Site].

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved