Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#363555 Tue Oct 16 2012 05:22 PM
TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
I have always been a strong advocate of US made products. From the boots I wear to the car I drive everything I buy has to be made in America by Americans. About one month ago I decided I needed a nice shelf to put some of my displays on. I took a drive down to Home Cheapo and started to gather materials. I bought a piece of pine and some pre-made shelf brackets. Not thinking a wood shelf bracket would be made in China, I purchased them without looking. When I got home and looked them over I said "It has gotten to the point where this is crazy" Back to home depot I went to return the shelf brackets. I could not bring myself to use this bracket while I proudly display pieces of American history...Maybe Im crazy I dont Know LOL. Instead of making the brackets, I thought it would be the right choice to support a local business in these tough economic times. I found a local craftsmen who spent lots of time with me coming up with ideas to build a nice shelf. After looking for over 1 hr I picked a slab of wood that I thought would look great. Next time you go to purchase something...look at the product...see where its made...and think where this country would be if WE still made the majority of consumer goods. Well Here is a picture of the finished product. I think it turned out great.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
st.rod #363568 Tue Oct 16 2012 06:00 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Amen! I wish more people felt this way. Most of the problems would go away!
WH/

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'm taking economics in class now, and the professor is from India and can't vote anyway so he has no party. The reason we make products in china is not only to boost our economy, but to boost the world economy. We are bettering ourselves by bettering the developing countries of the world. Outsourcing these jobs to developing countries boosts our economy because of efficiency and scarce resources. The United States specializes in innovations and new technology, producing those goods and services that give us the most utility per resource. We could be producing these brackets, but how would that help us advance as an economy? Producing those items in the united states has a much greater opportunity cost, therefore we outsource and import. Many people see things that are "made in china", as china reaping the profits of all these sales. That's just not the case. Many of the companies now producing in china started out in the states. Through Foreign Direct Investment, they expanded to produce in china or other developing economies. The money doesn't stay in china, it comes back to the United States and allows us to use those resources we would have use on better things. Not only does it help us produce better goods, but it allows the consumers in America to maximize their utility with the resources they have(money). It benefits everyone for countries around the world to specialize in those goods which they produce more efficiently and cost efficient than other countries. Even if the United States can produce everything more efficiently, it's still not beneficial for us to produce it all. It all goes back to scare resources and specialization and growing the economies of our country and the world.
I probably dragged this out more than anyone would like to read, but IMO its all important and true.

TBA Feature Host
OP Offline
TBA Feature Host
Not really and this is not a political thread. China steals American Ideas. Dont beleive what they teach you in school...its not always the right thing. Companies go to china for profit plain and simple....not because its the right thing or this best thing for our global economy. The only investment china has in this country is in our debt..

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
You said companies go to china for profit. That's what my statement was about. American companies go to china to make profit, which they bring back to America. The innovations come from the United States. China tries to steal American ideas, but have you ever seen a fake iPhone, fake coach purse, fake cologne? It's all junk! We in America have the resources to perfect these ideas, and those that don't make the stuff we could be making with those resources with a greater opportunity cost. This should not be turned into a political thread.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
57 love the shelf it looks great and I'm glad you got it from America.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I watch every label for US made products and will continue to do so and will encourage others to do the same!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
I love my CHEVY today and have enjoyed every car I've EVER owned...ALL American made since the day I got my license! Well said 57Tbirdkid...I am so with you.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
American companies have stuff made in China to Maximize THEIR Profit Margin [where labor & materials are cheaper] & sell US the junk that has to be Replaced more often than if it were produced here.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That Chevy, Ford, or Dodge you drive probably has more Chinese plastic in it than American steel.

That "profit" that comes back to America goes 1 of 2 places, either back to China to make more money, or offshore investments. It doesn't make it's way in the economy to help anyone. That iPhone that was "designed in Cupertino, Ca." Was build with parts from Taiwan and Indian and assembled in Japan. America is falling in on itself with a vengeance.

I applaud people who buy American made, as I try to, but its hard to find and ever harder to afford the basics. Clothing, household items, etc.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Drink Royal Crown, not Kool-Aid. Royal Crown, How would you say its working out for us so far? We used to design and manufacture machines that made the machines that made the products that we exported. What Dick said is 100% true. The economy before the recent crash was false for years. A large portion of the people that were working were building ware houses or working at Walmarts and such. Now most of the construction is Federally funded. Manufacturing was the backbone of this country. Greed exported it. I'll shut up before I start to go off. Its probablly a good thing I just peck at the keyboard I'll try not to get too worked up. lol

Last edited by JimT; Wed Oct 17 2012 01:53 AM.
JimT #363645 Tue Oct 16 2012 08:00 PM
Online Cool
Several political statements have been removed. Political statements are not allowed.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #363650 Tue Oct 16 2012 08:13 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I live in the USA, I buy USA products. I do not owe anyone in China anything. People from the USA that move their factories to any foreign country are not patriots.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Students carrying a Coach Purse! LOL

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'd be willing to bet 75% or more of the coach or Louis Vuitton bags I see on campus are fakes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved