Print Thread
#36595 Tue Feb 07 2006 12:24 PM
B
BLange Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
How would you go about contacting people about a sign they have? Like this one I found today. I'm not big into signs, but I no Neon signs are collectable. It's on a dealership and still being used. Do you just leave it alone, or do you ask. The worst thing they can say is no right. I'm not good at this part of the hobby, asking "is this for sale"

Found this today too. Same thing, do I ask. If you look at this building from the front it say's Garage in the brick. Is this a Fleckenstein globe holder, if not any one no the maker and value?

I guess I gave away the town it's in.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BLange (edited 02-07-2006).]

Always looking for SKELLY items.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#36596 Tue Feb 07 2006 01:01 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Brian it never hurts to ask. You are correct that they can only say "no". Express your interest in it as a collector ONLY. Tell them how much you admire it and how good it would look in your collection. "Feel them out" during the conversation and see if you have a chance at it. If they will consider selling it, they will probably ask "how much you willing to give". You need to do some resaerch and see what these signs sell for and make them a decent offer if they don't already have a price in mind. It would probably be your responsibility to remove and replace the sign, so factor in that cost. So, research the sign and then go ask about it. If they say "no", give them your name, business card, phone number, etc and tell them "whenever and if...". Good luck.

Oh yea, if you have a beautiful, voluptious, wife/girlfriend, bring her along!!! LOL

#36597 Tue Feb 07 2006 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It never hurts to have a pretty girl along with you. Sometimes, my Daughter fails to see the humor in it. LOL.

As far as that globe holder, it's slightly different than the one in the pump guide. Thats not to say that they didn't have different models. Even if it isn't, it still looks like a cool piece.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#36598 Tue Feb 07 2006 04:59 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Brian- I think if you did some checking you'd find that Firestone sign would cost more to get than it would be worth.
Is there a local sign shop that could handle the removal? Can you afford $100. an hour [or more] for that? Since the neon is all broke it has to be replaced along with the transformers. I would think that unless someone offered to replace it at no cost to them they would just leave it there. It is advertising for them as long as its readable. [working or not]
Stop in express an interest, leave a card and keep an eye on it. If gets taken down then start getting persistant.

ROD [Mich.]
#36599 Tue Feb 07 2006 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First, I'll say that it doesn't hurt to ask -- as everyone has said. You'd be surprised at how friendly (and sometimes, rarely, how unfriendly) people can be. You might end up having a good long and enjoyable conversation.

Second, I think the sign would definitely be worth paying to have taken down. That's a pretty cool, and a pretty high dollar, sign. All depends on what you want to spend.

Third, you might get asked how much you're willing to pay. Have in mind before you go what your answer will be. Most important -- always be immediately willing and able to pay what you offer. Otherwise you'll never be taken seriously by them again. And be prepared for them to want twice your initial offer.

Fourth, the globe holder is just that, in my opinion. It's of the right length, location, etc to be one. It could very likely be a Flekenstein model without the lower light, which may well have been offered. Or it could be some off-brand. In any case, it's something that would be very nice to have. It's also something you'd have a darn good chance of getting, especially if you offer to replace it with "the fixture of their choice" or put a plate over the hole and properly cap the wires.

Best of luck,
Wes

#36600 Tue Feb 07 2006 09:58 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Just offer 125K for all the signage!

Bet they will call you!!

#36601 Wed Feb 08 2006 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Brian- go talk to them- take along a couple pics of your collection- Ask if anyone there collects- do they have anything else- who else has been asking about the sign etc- many times you wont get what you were looking at but it leads to some other signs etc-- do they know of any other old signs in the area etc?? try it- it works- thanks don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#36602 Thu Feb 09 2006 05:57 PM
B
BLange Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
First off, thanks for all the reply's and emails. I got talking to one of my friends here in Cedar Rapids, and he say's he knows the owner of the building that has the globe holder. So I can more than likely get it if it can be gotten. And ask about other things that were left behind, by the old garage.

The sign is a different animal, I'm going to try and talk to someone this weekend. I have a friend that works for a sign co. that will take it down and put a new one up (if they want one), so that part not a problem. But what is that sign worth? I would more that likely restore it, if I could get it.

I should have taken a picture of the front of the building, it has the individual letters in neon, and still in working order.

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved