Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#36771 Thu Jul 14 2005 04:56 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Hey, this is great reading!! A lot of different opinions and very good legal commentary. We all should know the basics of tort law to handle disputes or, better yet, avoid them.

I'd like to point out that an individual may have the law on their side in these "copyright" or "privacy" disputes. However, legal remedies are very difficult and expensive to pursue. First, you have to identify and locate the offender (try finding a dishonest eBayer). Then, there may be substantial legal fees and court costs. Next, the outcome in court is always uncertain. Finally, it may be next to impossible to collect on any judgment rendered by the court. Been there, done that.

So, you have to ask yourself if all the effort is worth the time, money and aggravation. Ask anyone who's been in similar legal proceedings.

Just my two cents...

Paul

[This message has been edited by Pablo (edited 07-14-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Pablo (edited 07-14-2005).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#36772 Thu Jul 14 2005 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Seth:

Short answer - yes, you can go after them for using one of your photos.

I would suggest a 'cease and desist' letter/e-mail from your laywer. As mentioned (and I'm sure that you know already) laywer fees can get expensive. You can get 'reasonable fees' paid for by the defendant if you win - but you will have to front the initial monies.

No - you can't go after them for using the Texaco logo in the photo. If they 'produce' a Texaco product - then Texaco can go after them. Or if they produce the same item that Texaco authorized you to produce, you can both go after them.

If they buy a dozen of your globes and resell them - that's free trade. But they shouldn't use the image from your catalog to do it.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

#36773 Thu Jul 14 2005 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Does this mean that a couple of people should settle out of court for an image that was COPIED [and posted on this site] to repoduce a globe to sell ? Wether they recieved a profit or items [to sell later]?

IF, I copy an image for personal use and don't make mulitples of to sell, I can be sued ?
db

#36774 Thu Jul 14 2005 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lets forget all the legalese and just enjoy the book- has many pictures that many of us would otherwise never see- discussion has most likely helped sell a pile of books- thanks don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#36775 Thu Jul 14 2005 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Don. Its time to move on and have some fun.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#36776 Thu Jul 14 2005 08:02 PM
I agree with Don and Bob. Let's get back to having fun and sharing the better parts of our hobby.

It doesn't look like I'll be getting the Amistadi sign book to sell through Oldgas for some time. I recommend ordering through PCM Publishing .

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved