Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
After seeing Jarvis's post about his first gas pump 12 years ago, it got me thinking about a thread for members to show the item that got them started in this hobby.

I will start it off, here is my very first gas pump.

thepumpdump 720.jpg

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I lost the pic mad but it was a rough quaker state sign. The best thing is the short story IMO. A friend of mine lives on a large property. He showed us the "outline" of it and I came across the quaker state sign under some leaves. It had 2-3 rust holes in it, but the gloss was great! He said leave it. Than about a year later, I remembered it and asked to see if I could have it. He said" If you can find it, you can have it" So I found it. At the time I was not collecting it. I wish I would have kept it!! I sold it to a local collector on craigslsit for $70 cry
That is what started me in this hobby!!

Thanks
Noah

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
My sickness didnt start till around 2000 like Johns. We bought a old farm house in the country & I wanted to make the attic a rec room. So I bought a couple small tire rack signs then this BF Goodrich Farm Tire sign & soon after that was the Standard Oil Dealer sign. So the madness started from there! This pic shows them hanging in my workshop in the basement. Needless to say the attic is for storage now & not a rec room LoL.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My brother who, collected in middle and high school, was always getting cool gas and oil stuff for Christmas from my father who is an antique dealer. Well after Christmas in 1999 after my brother once again got more cool stuff and I nothing in that catagory decided I was going to start collecting myself. I turned of course to E-bay knowing no where else to go at the time and bought this globe. I found out later from watching this site, I believe I bought it from oldgas member Mr Wadhams. Since then lots more from Ebay, shows, auctions, ect. I still have this globe and collect Sinclair although that is another story.

sinclairdino1.JPG

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

This is the first pump I ever bought and restored. I use to collect fire memorabilia and thought it would be neat to have a fire chief pump. I don't collect fire stuff anymore and have sold most of it to fund the gas pump sickness.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The 1st item I bought was not a petro item but make me jump into the petroliana as I collect petroliana, americana and soda pop item

it was a seeburg wallbox, I bought it after coming back from san francisco, I went to the lorris dinner and there were wallbox on every table and that makes me starting to collect 3 years ago ( starting with 1 wallbox and now I have 7 differents )

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The actual piece was really a Gilbert & Barker T-176 I used to help with at a mechanic's shop in the 1950's . They sold Amoco gasoline . To be more specific, they only sold the Leaded regular American in the "Butterscotch Yellow pump. Between this , and a huge collection of Gasoline issued road maps , I got started around 1957 or so . Yes, I said 1957. Listen, I was collecting a lot more as I worked at several different service stations in part time jobs as I got older . I'd save some of the Promtional items that caught my eye . While I never could afford a real visable , I did restorations of those who could own them, still do .

Here's a model of a Gilbert And barker I did back in 2000 as a Rainbow oil which I found out was a part of Standard/ Amoco oils family in the West :

Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Around 1963 or '64, I picked up this little beauty.... My Dad wanted it for his Collection. Even though, I was pretty young; I must have been a little more persuasive...LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I got started this year with a few Texaco pump plates, then my first pump which was bought in June and has since been restored into a custom build to match my car. Since this ones been finished, I've grown into a few other brands and I'm now in the midst of restoring several more pumps for my own display.

Before (as found in Montana June 2012)

During (my first pump restoration)

Completion (just waiting on some custom globes and ad glass)

Last edited by GasCan; Tue Nov 06 2012 02:39 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mobil can on the right is the one bought first about 4months ago.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry I don't have any before pictures.
This is the first pump I bought unrestored from Bob L, back in the mid 90's.

HARLEY PUMP (3) Resized.jpg
Last edited by LC 336; Tue Nov 06 2012 03:02 PM.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My dad kept a few North Star and Shell items from the gas station after it was sold in 1970 and we moved into a house. We lived in the station for 15 years. First photo shows the few cans that he kept plus a few larger tins that I bought at my first antique show sometime in the mid 1980s. Second photo is the same corner and shows just a small section of the rapidly expanding chronic incurable disease 'petrolitis'. Cheers, Don.

photo1.jpg photo2.jpg
Last edited by coopersplace; Tue Nov 06 2012 03:16 PM.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
LC is it the gas pump or the girl in the poster?

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This was the first gas pump I bought (2004). I restored it and sold it for a profit. I have tried on several occasions to buy it back...but it's not for sale. I didn't start collecting until late 2005.

Ben 766 BA-A2.jpg Ben 766 BA-A1.jpg

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
1978 1st pump was a HAYES 15gal Senior. Just a frame used as a corner post for a pig pen in Okla. Took me 4hrs in 100+ heat/humidity to replace post & w/ 2 diagonals to please the farmer. Took another 5-7 yrs to find all the missing parts. Next day I was able to buy a complete painted RUSH H in a small antique shop in Gotebo, Okla [Kyle Moore's Uncle Bruce Davis had it there on consignment. W/ a Bell Regular Capco Globe].

HAYES 15gal Senior.jpg
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved