Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#368947 Fri Nov 09 2012 08:54 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi everyone! I wanted to post a bit of caution for items that will be for sale in an upcoming auction. Of course, like ANY other auction it’s always “buyer beware” and the buyer needs to make sure they do their “due diligence” before purchasing items. I know this is often difficult to do when you or a friend can’t be present where the items are being sold. Therefore this post is only to help those individuals who might be purchasing from a distance in making a bid decision. This post is not to discredit the auction company or their listing practices and is not my intention here (sorry, need to be clear so we’re on the same page). I recently had an opportunity to see many of these items in person to check condition, authenticity, etc. There are also some quality items at this auction, but I would like to shed some light on items that are not what they seem:

1)Large Husky pails – obvious fakes (stickers)
2)Prairie Cities Buffalo pail – paint has been touched up extensively
3)William Penn black pail – Fantasy piece, not original
4)Sliptivity Can – fake - someone scanned and printed stickers for the 4 sides
5)Royalite pail - paint has been touched up extensively

http://www.mcsherryauction.com/sales/12CollectibleNov10.html

Hope you can find this information usefull.

Last edited by canadianoilguy; Fri Nov 09 2012 09:33 AM.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think such useful information would be welcome here , course that's my personal opinion. Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks, I appreciate your efforts. We must all do our part to protect each others investment and the integrity of the hobby.

To turn our back on each other or a blind eye to reproductions or fantasy pieces would be the wrong thing to do.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Chris, I was just looking at the auction pictures this afternoon and my head said there is something wrong with some of the 5 gallon pails, especially the William Penn. Dang though, that Sliptivity did look too good to be true. It would have been worth a few bucks in that great condition. If nobody questions it at the auction it still may go for ridiculous money. Thanks for the heads up. Cheers, Don.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Stuart McSherry stated to me that the Buffalo Can is heavily modified with painting and decal work and said it's pure fantasy. I also recognize a few other pieces in the auction that come from a guy in Saskatchewan that retouches , repaints and alters cans and signs.

Just a word of caution on some of the pieces.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hopefully it's not as crazy as the auction that was in Saskatoon last month. The prices were totally stupid on older, not so great restorations on common pumps, repro lens' and coke machines, not to mention the Model A cars went for huge prices as well. It only takes a coupla stubborn,uneducated people with deep pockets to jack the prices up at an auction.
Ken.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved