Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
depends on how you mount the mounting screws.. cool

RANDY
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
All you need is instructions or a template to lay that sign out, with the brackets being the way there are.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: mcguffeyd1
DB, but doesnt the comment from porcelain-neon make sense? The sign would be level. If he is level we should just make it a running red horse and chop off the wings!!!

Sure if you put screws in a sq, but if you put them in as a Diamond then what happens?

A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Ours is a 3'. I can check again tomorrow, but I'm 99% sure it's a 3 footer. I hope it's real too, my dad took it to a dealer not too long before he passed, who verified it's authenticity! He would be not too happy if it's a repro!!!

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Thanks for posting that link Mick...While I've never claimed to be an expert in anything, I do take exception to the expert who posted on Cheese's site, of which I am not a member, that a bunch of us "band-wagoners" jumped on the "it's genuine" wagon not knowing what we were talking about. I, as well as everyone else who posted more than likely, have been told for years that originals have the mounting brackets and that is the easiest way to tell an original. If the item is a reproduction, than obviously it's the first of this type that many of us have seen.
That's what these sites are for, to share information and educate others in the hobby so we do not make mistakes. If this sign is a new reproduction discovery, then why wouldn't the poster on the pitstop share that information directly with members on this site as well? Obviously Bettin is a not a contributing member of Old Gas, but the post he made on Cheese's site would have been a great visual for all of us to see on this site as well.
I guess it what this boils down to for me personally is I'm on this site because I love the hobby and I'm here to learn so I don't get burned. I very well could have on the sign in question, to which there is still no absolute answer of authenticity. To quote Bettin, " If I've learned anything over the years of collecting oil and gas stuff, it's that I don't know everything about the hobby and the only people that worry me are the ones who deal in absolutes and think they do know everything." I agree whole-heartidly with that statement as I'm sure many others do reading this thread. Again, I am here to learn, share, and make my hobby a good one. If I'm wrong, ill-informed, etc. tell or show me why!
Another quote, "However, it would be helpful if the "experts" posting on this oldgas thread at the time, would make sure their information is correct - or don't post at all. Lately, there have been to many postings that just are not accurate, and it's unfortunate for the newbies." If there are so many inaccurate posts on this site, please contribute to help make your business/hobby better for everyone. smile
Thanks for listening,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm not convinced that this is not an original sign.

I've read bettin's post. All I can say is that he is full of himself. I quote what he stated "the only people that worry me are the ones who deal in absolutes and think they do know everything." What a hypocrite. After having read his post that statement describes him and his post.

I lend no credibility to any proof that supposedly came from someone wishing to remain anonymous. It's self serving and of little relevance without a person putting their name and credibility to it.

I don't like the tone of bettin's post. That information could have been posted in a friendly, informative manner and with an open minded approach. When a person comes out swinging like that...I just can't help but question their motives.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: advertologist
Real McCoy.. cool

I stick with: the "Real McCoy"
the other side hasn't proved otherwise (sheesepitstop)

Bettin says 2' owner now says 3'
is there a motive here:
Randy,

Usually you don't post stuff unless it's accurate, but noticed your information is wrong on the 2' flat pegasus horse.

Here's a link to a posting I just put on cheese's site about it, titled

"A New Type of Fake (??) Pegasus on Ebay" :

http://cheesepitstop.com/viewtopic.php?t=10983

Ron

Ron Bettin

Bettin Family Investments

145 South Hickory Street

Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

RANDY
P
P
I've owned one just like it within the last 3 years, and returned it to the seller (definitly a stand-up guy!!) for a refund. After showing it to 4 of the most experienced sign collectors/dealers I know, they all agreed it was NOT an original sign, and I concurred.

I bought it sight-unseen, but on inspection it just didn't look right. The condition was considerably better than the one shown here, but the metal was much thinner than I expected, and there was very little shelving in the porcelain. The seller consulted with me by phone before he purchased it and I agreed to buy it from him, based on pictures he provided. The moral of the story is it's much easier to make an informed decision about authenticity if you can hold it in your hand before buying. I don't knowingly buy reproductions, and this is a sign I would not/did not add to my collection, for whatever that's worth.

Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& it's only gonna get worse as the counterfeiters get better [globes, cans, signs, everything, etc.]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ron may be lots of things, but a moron hes not. I 've had a small issue with him on an anonymous purchase on ebay and wouldnt deal with him again, but that doesnt mean he is not a very knowledgeable dealer. One thing he definitely is ,is a sign guy. Even though I like to consider myself a "Sign Guy") I'm pretty sure he knows more about signs and what is out there then most of us-not all- -(certainly me) about signs. He used to post on oldgas and contribute quite a bit but got teed off and hit the road. Just because you may not agree with a person doesnt make them wrong or discount their experience. As far as being self serving, There have been many, many authentic horses on ebay that Ron B hasnt pointed out questionable things about. I dont think he has an ax to grind with the seller ,thats for sure. I havent chimed in on this thread because all those rack marks. I've never seen one with all those rack marks so I am skeptical but not sure one way or the other. I was leaning towards original, but now that Ron made his case I feel he may be right. My feet are firmly planted in midair. When in doubt I try to pass. Not that I would have been a player on this sign either. Ron says those "recently found" Shell air signs (Last 5 years) are fake too. I'm still not convinced -but stay off them anyways. He may be right on those too.

Last edited by JimT; Thu Nov 15 2012 03:54 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I posted the link only to try and help shed some light on the authenticity of the sign.as JimT said," a moron he is not" some may have issues with ron,but again that's not why I posted it.i also thought the sign was original ,until I saw the pics and explanation.all of the other signs have the brackets at an angle,if this Peggy was mounted in the correct position,one would have to slide it onto the hangers at an angle,in order for them to lock in place,not straight down as all of the others I have seen.maybe not a major point,but certainly something to think about.even the three footer talked about had the angled brackets. And cookie cutters,the brackets are level,when the horse is in the correct head up position. Jmo and eddy,I think you should know whom you are referring to when calling them a name like that.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
It sure looks real but I'm going with fake & this is my reasoning why.
Like Randy said, the mounting screws could be positioned so that the horse is mounted at the right angle. But then the tabs would not be vertical & they should be. My .02.
I agree with Mick that Eddy should know who he's talking about before name calling like that. Better yet no name calling at all!

Cliff

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I though fake as soon as I saw the over done rack marks on the back. Reminds me of the fake Mack Bulldogs with rack marks and mounting brackets. I would have to agree with Ron.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Thank you Richard for chiming in and giving your points on the sign. For me personally, since Richard specializes in Mobil as do I, whatever his feelings are on a Mobil item I will share until I could be shown otherwise. Richard has been collecting for a few years more than myself! wink
I do know that Bettin is very knowledgeable dealer with many years in the hobby, but I do feel it was the tone of the post on the other site that has rubbed many the wrong way. It is a good post with many valid points, and that's why I'm glad Mick brought it to our attention. As I stated, I too am here to learn so I don't get burned on such an expensive sign in the future. Like DB said, this hobby is not going to get any easier as the years go on to spot outright fakes and repros.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved