Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I have removed a post that violated some of the membership rules.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Did you removed my post also ?

Originally Posted By: blacktee
Did you removed my post also ?

Yes, it quoted the post that I removed....I must say though, you were spot on with your comment.

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Thu Nov 15 2012 07:38 AM.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Mr. Bettin has a great deal of experience in buying and selling signs. He is certainly not intelligence-deprived as a younger member said in a very blunt way in a post that has been removed.

For the record, Mr. Bettin lost his membership privileges here 2 years ago.

Last edited by Oldgas; Thu Nov 15 2012 09:25 AM. Reason: corrected date

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is funny that the owner is questioning the authenticy of the sign after they have taken it to a dealer that claims it is the real deal. The owner asked me in a Pm if it was real and I gave my honest opinion which i suspected it to be a repop as does Richard.. They suspected it was to begin with. Looks like they know it is fake now and magically want it to be real. Just my two cents.

Last edited by mcguffeyd1; Thu Nov 15 2012 08:25 AM.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: Oldgas
Mr. Bettin has a great deal of experience in buying and selling signs. He is certainly not intelligence-deprived as a younger member said in a very blunt way in a post that has been removed.

For the record, Mr. Bettin lost his membership privileges here 7 years ago.

???

That's right Jim, Thanks

Last edited by blacktee; Thu Nov 15 2012 09:32 AM.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: mcguffeyd1
It is funny that the owner is questioning the authenticy of the sign after they have taken it to a dealer that claims it is the real deal. The owner asked me in a Pm if it was real and I gave my honest opinion which i suspected it to be a repop as does Richard and Dave. They suspected it was to begin with. Looks like they know it is fake now and magically want it to be real. Just my two cents.

Again just another fine "Newbie" comment on here. I believe this woman has gone above and beyond trying to be honest with everyone. Might you be another one of her low ball offers when she came to this site (a few weeks ago) asking for our help? This site has gone so far down hill with all the new members posting BS in the last year.

Doug

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Mick, your comments are very well put. The info on the other forum by Ron B. is very interesting read, especially the most recent, saying this sign was made in the 1990's. Way back, when this sign would have been in use, oil companies had standards and sure would not have let an error like this slip by. I don't know Ron from Adam, having never met him, I do however get both gas mags and see Ron doing a lot of articles, visits a lot of collectors and sees and handles more signs in a day than most people handle in a month. I believe he is out there helping the hobby more than a lot of people and sure would go along with his thinking if he feels a sign is wrong.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For the record I sent this person multiple messages trying to verify if the sign is real or not. I sent her different links to multiple variation then told her I am not sure 100%. It told her to ask $2200 if she thought it was real and then made her an excellent offer if she believed it was a fake. I let her make the choice! I am not the type of person to try and get something for nothing. I only offered her anything because I can't afford a real deal at the moment and I still don't think it is one. FYI I offered her the going rate of a repop on eBay. So here is the "Newbie" that isn't running this site downhill. I am the "Newbie" that does research before hand that way I don't have to regret it later. Nuf said.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
For the record I sent this person multiple messages trying to verify if the sign is real or not. I sent her different links to multiple variation then told her I am not sure 100%. It told her to ask $2200 if she thought it was real and then made her an excellent offer if she believed it was a fake. I let her make the choice! I am not the type of person to try and get something for nothing. I only offered her anything because I can't afford a real deal at the moment and I still don't think it is one. FYI I offered her the going rate of a repop on eBay. So here is the "Newbie" that isn't running this site downhill. I am the "Newbie" that does research before hand that way I don't have to regret it later. Nuf said.

IMO you are running down the site when you talk (negative) about a women (you never met or know) who is stuck with a room(s) full of junk to the rest of the world. Hundreds of signs, bottles, cans etc..And you could do a better job getting rid of everything, (not having a clue as to what was left to her). Don't run the woman down plain & simple with negative comments questioning her intregity (sp). You didn't buy (get) the sign move the hell on with it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is funny that the owner is questioning the authenticy of the sign after they have taken it to a dealer that claims it is the real deal. The owner asked me in a Pm if it was real and I gave my honest opinion which i suspected it to be a repop as does Richard.. They suspected it was to begin with. Looks like they know it is fake now and magically want it to be real. Just my two cents.

I agree with Doug that this was an unprofessional and uncalled for post...and I find it equally disturbing that you are failing to acknowledge that.

Why would you make that post especially knowing her situation? Furthermore her father was member of this site.

It's simple..think about what you are posting and how it may impact upon others. It doesn't hurt to be kind and considerate!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not running her down. This topic was started due to the fact of questioning the sign not her. Giving people information about an item is helping them get rid of the item. I like the woman, she was very nice and polite to me and i was the same to her. I just dont like when people change the story on a item. Also if you THINK it is a bunch of junk you shouldnt be commenting on this topic anyways. This site is made for informative topics not beating people down. I gave her an honest opinion with facts behind it. I could care less about if i got the sign or not. I would rather it be appreciated by the new owner. If it is real or not is the question at hand, not if one person is running a site down. Many people think differently about the sign and if it is real. That is what makes the collecting world go round. Dealing with people and making bonds is more important than an item.

So lets please get this post back on topic.

The best thing i can think of is to put out a new topic with a poll and let that be that.
thanks
Dan

Last edited by mcguffeyd1; Thu Nov 15 2012 09:51 AM.

A
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
A
Just to be clear, I have not changed the story on this item. Look at my post on Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/140884371232?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649, it does not mention size anywhere. I still need to go to my mom's and measure for sure, I'm thinking it's probably around 40" from front hoof to back hoof, if you look at the pictures, it's against the landing of my staircase, which measures about 40" across and it's a little longer than that. Mr Bettin said it was 2', I am saying he never asked, he just made the post saying it's 2', which is not true.
The reason we questioned it originally is because we had a local guy come over who drooled all over it and then said he thinks it's fake and offered a lowball amount. I put it on here knowing it's possible my dad could have made a mistake when he verified it's authenticity. I had 7 unanimous people, who I could consider to know what they're talking about, say it's real. I was then PM'ing Dan after he contacted me about a can. He gave me some great info and then said he thinks it's possibly a repro and offered to buy it, which is the situation we were just coming out of. Please know that for every 10 people with good intentions, we have at least 1 vulture looking to snag a deal from someone who does not have a lot of knowledge on this topic. If I were trying to be dishonest or pull something over, I certainly wouldn't come to a site like this a direct people to my dad's items, they would know in a heartbeat!!!
The bottom line for me is this: my dad deemed it to be real, he kept it and hung it. He had over 25+ years of collecting under his belt, and he only collected the best. Every person on here, I consider to be knowledgable and can back up their opinion with material to show why. It's just that there's so much material that goes both ways, it's enough to make my head spin.
I'll get proper measurements today and post them. If there's one thing I have learned in my short 2 months at this, it's that every detail matters. What makes a 2' fake might be what makes a 3' real. Hopefully when I get some good pictures, we can get a more clear idea. Again, thank you guys so much for your opinions and help, this has been quite a lively conversation!! smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thank you Alyssa for your words. They mean a lot on this controversial topic. I really do hope the best for you and your family. They are in my prayers at this time of hardship. Best of luck with the auction and hope this topic dies down on the negativity.

Dan

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well my apologies that this "younger member" stood up for the integrity of some of the most knowledgable and reasonable members. Me being young doesn't have anything to do with what was posted sirs.

I have seen some of the guys on here point out stuff that the fellas on CSI couldn't find in a good hour of prime time TV.

Y'all say Mr. Bettin is an iintelligent collector.

However the facts are:

-He pretty well bashed this entire site
-He apparently acted in a way that caused him to lose privileges.

Proof is in the pudding I reckon.

To get back on topic.

Alyssa. I would consult with some of these more knowledgable collectors individually. Dick, Randy (advertologist), Dave, and Pegasus.

That's not to say others aren't right or wrong. But these guys have helped me and others out PLENTY. And I've never been mislead.

Otherwise everyone is gonna throw their 2 cents in and keep turning this into day time courtroom drama.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Here's Your Sign; Thu Nov 15 2012 11:08 AM.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved