Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Scott V Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I finally picked up a 1960’s muscle car era gas pump on eBay. It meant a road trip from Chitown to Green Bay but it was worth the 6.5 hour trip. I picked up this 1967 Gulf single serve Erie pump. It has an older restoration but it is in great shape. There is a worn service tag on the side from Green Bay Petroleum with a phone number so I have a feeling this pump spent its entire life in Green Bay, WI. The owner wasn’t sure of the exact year, but I found the date; “12-1966” on the mint ID tag, which is prefect for me since my hot rod is a 1967 Camaro RS. This is the exact kind of pump and gas that someone would have used to fuel my car when it was new.

It turns out that I got more than I bargained for. Closer inspection of the back panel shows the old decals under the paint. There are two small horse shoes at the top and two large hors shoes at the bottom. The paint is checked so it took me a while to figure what the lettering was. The wording at the top is; “Fuel Horsepower” next to the horse shoes. The wording at the bottom above the large horse shoes is; “EXTRA KICK”. The fonts used for both of these wordings is kind of funky and 60’s “mod” looking. It turns out this pump was a high-octane pump. Sweet! There are two small holes in the center of the back and front panels on each side where a name plate was attached. The incorrect Gulf sticker on the front is covering the holes. Looking up inside the stainless steel cap from the number plate reveals a rusty center bracket with a clean center hole where something was previously mounted. Could it be a mount for a globe? Did someone restore this pump with a different cap?

Next I did some searching on the web and found that British American Fuel was behind the “Extra Kick 98” horse shoe promotion for Gulf. It was a 98 octane leaded fuel they were selling. To my surprise I found this B/A Gas promotional piece on a web page with some other information. This promotion was plastic horse shoes that you could stick to your bumper. It shows the design of the B/A logo on this promotion piece. Unfortunately I could not find any further information regarding the Gulf promotion or pump/fuel. Here is the link below:
http://www.britishamericanoil.ca/featurefeb03.html

I realize that these muscle car era pumps aren’t the Holy Grail of gas pump collectors but I think they are becoming more desirable. I would like to find out as much about this pump as I can, along with a source for the original stickers and name plates. The porcelain number plate had “Gulf” baked onto it so I know it was a Gulf pump. Perhaps B/A and Gulf had separate identities from America to Canada? Anybody know anything about these?

Thanks,
Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott V (edited 03-15-2004).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott, I honestly don't know much about Gulf, but I have seen some of the "Horse shoes" on ebay from time to time. I'm not sure if someone is remaking them, or if they were originals, but the do show up.
As far as the pump? I've never seen an original with a globe.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I think a guy in Maryland bought a bunch of pumps a few months ago and he has some of these NOS horshoes. I lost his name before I could send him the money for a set. I think it was Severn Pump???

Scott

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
S
Scott V Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I appreciate the help. More updates:

As I searched this website (oldgas.com) I found photos of a gas station that has these Gulf-Erie pumps. I'm now pretty sure my pump didn't have a globe. Judging by the left photo- It looks like Gulf had a couple of names for their gas in these pumps then- "No-Nox" was one. "Extra Kick 98" was another. I can't make out the other names on the pumps in the photo.

I also found some cool promotional stuff on Google relating to this advertising campaign. Apparently a Swedish band called "The Shanes" did the theme song. Here are some picture of an album they had with the Gulf song on it. They titled the album in tune with the promo. Those wild 60's man! So far this pump has been fun to research. :-p

I have a couple of Hot Rod magazines from the 60's so I'm going to start digging through those for more possible ads.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Scott V, you have a GOC (Gulf Oil Corp.) pump. Southwest Pump Co. made the majority of them, but if you have an Erie, I'm sure Bennett made them too. All these pumps were alike and made to Gulf's specifications. There were three grades of gas in 1967. Good Gulf (regular) Gulftane (subregular) and what you would use in your muscle car, Gulf No Nox. The horseshoe emblems were a promotional gimmick advertising the gasoline. The porcelain trapazoid pump plates were used. None of these 60's GOC pumps had a globe.

S
Scott V Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Wow thanks Gary-

But as I have been searching around for Gulf pumps and info on the web, I found these same pumps with globes: (???) Maybe they were early 60's? The one has the Gulf round sign. (incorrect restoration?)

This one the guy had listed as "Southwest Gulf"-

In addition to the fuel grades you have listed, I also found a trapezoid sign for "Super No-Nox";

[This message has been edited by Scott V (edited 03-15-2004).]

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I don't believe your pump was made in 1965. It appears to be a Erie Model 158 but without a sight glass on the side. The 158 was introduced in 1956 by Erie for Gulf. In 1958 Erie became part of the A.O. Smith Pump Company and their pumps were marketed under the name of SMITH-Erie. It again is doubtful your pump was made in 1965 as Smith discontinued making pumps in 1963. I can find no record of SMITH-Erie ever making any pump for Gulf.
In the late 1950 most pump companies were doing away with the sight glass. From having one on or above the face they went to putting one on the nozzle side of the pump, a short time after this they were dropped completely. It was no longer necessary to show the public the gasoline as it flowed into the tank.
It is very possible that Gulf began ordering the pump without the sight glass as a cost cutting measure. I would say your pump was made around 1957.
Incidentally the pump is shown along with the twin version on page 168 of my Gas Pump Identification book.
I sell copies of the book and I also have the original parts manual (it was in the box with the pump when it was delivered) for the 158. You can get more information on my website: www.crspub.com and you can email me at: jhsim@swbell.net
Jack Sim

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 03-15-2004).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
S
Scott V Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hmm very interesting Jack. So you're thinking perhaps someone replaced the skins of the pump frame with something else? The ID tag on the side of the pump with the date and model number is mint and riveted to it. It hasn't been altered. I'll have to get a close-up shot when I get home. I haven't pulled the covers off of it yet though.

And yes I would be interested in your book. I'll check out your site. So far I have found a couple of Gulf focused web sites that are fery interesting.

I'm new to pump collecting. I've been looking for a pump since last year and done a little research but aren't familiar with that many manufacturers. So far just the past couple of days have been fun researching this thing.

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Nice pump Scott V !

Seems like I remember Mark Sconyers(memories restored)having some of those horseshoes a while back....

Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott,
Gulf quit using globes in the early 1950's. I've seen a bunch of those GOC pumps and none that I have seen originally had a globe hole.
Many collectors add globe mounts when they restore pumps.
There's no way your pump originally had a globe if it was made after 1952.
They ID tag with the 12-66 date may be when the pump was rebuilt.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott,
It perfectly alright to put a globe on that pump. It just won't be historically correct. Restore it however you want. There is no right or wrong.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Now I am just a beginner collector, but I have seen 2 of those and they were both made by Bennett. Is it possible that Gulf told pump companies what they wanted and to build them to their specs?
-Mike

G
G
Scott
Most of the responses have been correct. Your pump did not have a globe however some Gulf collectors, such as myself, have restored such a pump and added a globe simply because we like the way it looks. It is not period correct, but I like it that way and I`m not worried about decreasing the value.
As for the plastic horseshoes, I have several sets in their original plastic wrapper and would be glad to sell you one or two for your pump. They are only a few dollars each. I have been a Gulf collector for about 18 years and have worked for Gulf, and still do, for almost 40 years. Please feel free to email me at gulfstuff@rcn.com

------------------

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Mike..

I still have the Horseshoes and i will bring some to Dixie Gas if anyone is looking for some..i will also have some unrestored pumps as well as restored pumps and restoration parts

Mark....Memories Restored

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Mike618B and others: Here is a article I wrote a few years ago about Gulf Oil Pumps. I wrote the article for the "Check the Oil!" magazine. http://www.crspub.com/gaspumps/POM_April97.htm

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved