Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#373923 Sat Dec 01 2012 06:47 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
While gas bashes are great for finding stuff I have bought my last table at any as there is no use when for the last two years everyone just looks and I just lug this stuff in and back out nobody buys anymore so I give up on selling, I guess they are just a social gathering anymore.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I believe you are right, people are just pricing themselves out of sales. When I can buy something on the 'bay for half or less than it is priced at a show, that's where I am going to shop.

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I bought quite a few signs there, did not get bargains but they were great signs but when I sell one $20 item and I don't even make up the table then its time to quit. I try to diversify with Gas oil, beer cans, toys etc, all vintage but nothing sells anymore.I hate this economy, I use to do real good at these shows and ebay paypal fees are taking all my profit on internet sales
and the sales there are very bad lately. Ready to just give it up.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
That is to bad there is not a venue that works out... I believe there is enough petro people to support a annual event...Tom

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Buying and selling is always going to be a variable at any show, swapmeet, auction, event or website. You have to have the right item for the right buyer at the right price on the right day. People have a lot more opportunity to purchase items while sitting at home on the computer, so selling at shows IS going to be a little tougher, because people can shop around more while looking for things that interest them. I was selling two spots down from you at the same show yesterday. Although I did not sell everything I brought, I did better than I expected for a small show. Last year was a bigger turn out, but I sold far less. You just never know. I wouldn't give up selling at shows. I have learned I have to be more flexible with pricing because buyers have many more options as far as online buying. I still think shows are GREAT and really enjoy them. I would much rather buy at a show where I can see items in person and have it in my hands. Don't give up yet. Next show you just might sell out. If everyone quits selling at shows, there will be NO shows soon. Thanks for buying one of my signs yesterday and thanks for selling me the can. Hope to see you selling at the next show.

Last edited by pumpingethyl; Sat Dec 01 2012 08:21 AM.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
S
S
I feel for sellers, things are harder and harder to find. You do notice at any of the advetising shows no matter gas, coke general advertising the prices are getting really high for items not in very good shape. I'm a collector and I'm one who looks in booths and walks away but if you can't find anyhting that catches your eye and that the price is fair for item, then you have to move on. It is a tough racket for both sellers and buyers. Really the day of the big bargin is over, look at how many people no matter where you live are out hunting. So knowing this, as a collector you have to be more selective in what you buy compared to years ago. Hang in there, sooner or later items sell.

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
wink "Todays' high prices are tomorrows' bargains."

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well this is 2 years in a row with no sales (but $20 can) at any of the shows. I guess some of it is that I am holding on to most of my signs, they are just getting too hard to find but I do bring out alot of oil cans and non petro(had one real cool oil sign very old with lion and red white blue with stars and stripes porcelain, no interest. Variety of other stuff but nothing ever goes anymore for last two years. I will just be a buyer, there are great things to be found at these.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe it was just the area, as both IG and Peotone were both very active selling shows. I absolutely loaded my truck to the point that I couldn't buy anything else if I wanted to, and prices were reasonable or negotiable! Good thing I was alone because there was absolutely no room for a passenger!
I'd much rather buy at a show than off the internet!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 56chiefstar
While gas bashes are great for finding stuff I have bought my last table at any as there is no use when for the last two years everyone just looks and I just lug this stuff in and back out nobody buys anymore so I give up on selling, I guess they are just a social gathering anymore.

With one exception here , I'll buy in person WELL before I'll buy On- Line . Probably 80 % of my collection is from personal exchanges too! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If all sellers feel the same way, there will be nothing to buy when you get there.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've never been to a bash;just too far from NM for me.With that in mind,my comment may be completely off base with respect to how things work at bashes,

However,since like Ed in that way over 80% of my collection came from personal exchanges,I'll point out an advantage to "face-to face"dealings with a collector/seller.You can discuss things and find out what else he has rhat might be for sale and more importantly for possible trade.

I mention it because I'm doing that right now with a local collector,talking possible trade of some of my good stuff for some of his good stuff when money alone won't get it done.

I don't know if that sort of thing goes on at the bashes,but I can personally assure you it does and it works at the local level.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well DB, if all buyers don't show up like you there would be no buyers,just saying

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
If all sellers feel the same way, there will be nothing to buy when you get there.

Now why do ya say that Mizza Dick ? Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Kevin that Iowa Gas was VERY active last year. I heard that some vendors at IG left last year after the first day as they were sold out or nearly sold out. I went to Columbia for the first time last year and that appeared very good also.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved