Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are many variables that effect sales. Quality of product has to match the needs of the buyers as well as price point. Has to be a good mix of novice and advanced collectors in attendance. Rarity and condition of items attracts advanced collectors; price point not as important. Novice collectors will buy common items and price point matters.

Generally speaking, difficult to gauge the enthusiasm and demand of collector attendance in determining what to bring to maximize sales.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sat Dec 01 2012 12:20 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm ROTF,LMAO
Originally Posted By: 56chiefstar
Well DB, if all buyers don't show up like you there would be no buyers,just saying

I Don't BUY & SELL Petroliana for a living.

EXCEPT for 1 sign I BOUGHT FROM YOU, 20+ YEARS AGO, YOU haven't had anything I was interested in, @ ANY PRICE.

Get over it, you'll be a Happier Seller.
I'm STILL ROTF,LMAO!

Last edited by Oldgas; Sat Dec 01 2012 07:16 PM.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
What in the world is ROTF LMAO?

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ROTF = rolling on the floor.
LMAO = laughing my a** off.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Craig .. Thanks for asking I did not know what it meant either .. Tom

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
56chiefstar, have you got a picture of your setup at the show?

As a picker and not a collector I go to many many varieties of shows and bring cheap stuff and some good stuff. The cheap stuff pays for the event cost.

I bring out signs, pedal cars, toys, some cans. And will have items within those categories at all price-point levels (beginner/advanced collector).

I just got back Monday night from my 3rd show in 3 weeks. The first show was OK, but not great, but I bought and sold enough to make it worth the effort. The second show, I had a great setup Thursday, a sucky Friday, and a good Saturday. The third show I setup Tuesday, bought, sold/traded what I bought, Wed bought, sold dbl what I did Tues, Thurs tripled Wed, Friday 1/2 Thurs, and Saturday about same as Thurs. During that last show I only sold 2 major items >$300, with most items in the 40-70 range.

If you're taking the same stuff you always take to every show you do this might be part of the problem. I see this happen at shows all the time, the same guy brings the same stuff he always brings, with the same prices, and 90% of the attendees have seen it every year and aren't any more interested than the last time they saw it.

There are many selling techniques to try before you give up. Not the least of which is rearranging your "normal" setup if you always display things the same way. It promotes interest! Even at multi-day shows, rearranging from one day to the next may highlight something a buyer didn't see the day before.

Just some food for thought!

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
I'm ROTF,LMAO
Originally Posted By: 56chiefstar
Well DB, if all buyers don't show up like you there would be no buyers,just saying

I Don't BUY & SELL Petroliana for a living.

EXCEPT for 1 sign I BOUGHT FROM YOU, 20+ YEARS AGO, YOU haven't had anything I was interested in, @ ANY PRICE.

Get over it, you'll be a Happier Seller.
I'm STILL ROTF,LMAO!

Didn't we hear all about this last year ? RLMAO

Last edited by Oldgas; Sat Dec 01 2012 07:17 PM.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
MEDS WORE OFF???!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: hawkike
MEDS WORE OFF???!!!

ROTFLSHIPIMP!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

ROTFLSHIPIMP!

I give ?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
laughin so hard I @#$%ed my pants DA

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am ignoring anything more he says and will not comment on them as this has been going on for years on this site with him

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Every show I go to I try to sell out before I leave. I don't care if I sell a $200 item for $150 just as long as I bought it for $149. When I set up I take a loss on some item, guess what I made a bad buy. Its about having fun to me. If I was to try to get every last dollar out of my items I risk loading it all back up. I also make some great friends out there. I think sellers in general need to relax and remember this is a hobby. If its your business then you can't sell if you don't show up.

Scott Wright
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I enjoy the shows and talking and finding the stuff which is what I will be doing from now on, leave the selling to my online sales only, no sense in bringing stuff, taking a chance of it getting broken for nothing.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am lucky I was even able to make the show, had been in a big car wreck the day before. A 90 year old lady hit me what seemed full speed from rear and I could not avoid hitting person in front. Found out lady behind me was hit by someone too, 4 car wreck. Between the drive and that I was pretty tired, too tired to make the next days trip of 2 1/2 hr drive one way.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved