Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There's the rub, logically speaking if you buy something from Ebay and then try to sell it on Ebay it shouldn't bring the price you paid. You have removed yourself, the high bidder, from the equation. There are exceptions of course, I've made some good money on Ebay doing the same thing but it's usually because the item was in the wrong catagory. If you want to make money you generally need to buy from the source. Ebay has made a lot of people lazy. I found some killer stuff this year by being there early, beating the brush and talking to people. It's work but it's fun too.
Originally Posted By: 56chiefstar
You are right Jarvis, Ebay prices are higher then I would get. I have recently bought stuff on ebay and when I try to relist the items do not go near the price I paid no matter how often I relist it or change the wording or pictures, I believe there is a lot of ebayers who have their friends bid up items and have heard of this because some of this stuff on ebay doesnt go for near what I paid. Ebay says they don't allow this but obviously it goes on alot. And when you sell on ebay you have to include the ebay fees, paypal and now they charge fees on shipping which they use to not do. The shows are the best place for finding signs I believe.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: 56chiefstar
You are right Jarvis, Ebay prices are higher then I would get. I have recently bought stuff on ebay and when I try to relist the items do not go near the price I paid no matter how often I relist it or change the wording or pictures, I believe there is a lot of ebayers who have their friends bid up items and have heard of this because some of this stuff on ebay doesnt go for near what I paid. Ebay says they don't allow this but obviously it goes on alot. And when you sell on ebay you have to include the ebay fees, paypal and now they charge fees on shipping which they use to not do. The shows are the best place for finding signs I believe.

That makes about as much sense as buying a new car and then trying to sell it the next day for a profit. There might be a sleeper ebay deal from time to time,but not enough margin to turn a profit.
There is NO eBay conspiracy, "friends bidding up items"??? that can and does happen at any auction, sometimes I think instead of having a reserve price they may have a friend bid up the price, so regardless it won't sell for the lower price, because if they didn't use the friend route they would probably put a reserve limit on it.
p.s.
what Ryan said about riding with DB,was LOLLLLLL

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
The second show, I had a great setup Thursday, a sucky Friday, and a good Saturday. The third show I setup Tuesday, bought, sold/traded what I bought, Wed bought, sold dbl what I did Tues, Thurs tripled Wed, Friday 1/2 Thurs, and Saturday about same as Thurs.

Absoluely nothing against the person that posted this, but as a buyer this is part of why I don't do shows anymore. For most shows, if you're not there when the vendors set up the deals are usually gone lightening quick. For a lot of us that work during the week we simply cannot get to a show midweek, unless it's an Iowa Gas event and you've planned your vacation around it.

I go to one show a year and that is more to reconnect with friends than anything else. The shows are getting to be a tough venue. As a buyer I shake my head at the absolutely ridiculous prices and I also feel for the buyers when it is obvious the foot traffic is down. Most don't want to admit it, but a lot of the shows are dying.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF it's a Wedding, Funeral, Graduation, Anniversary & YOU Want to go, you make Plans.
IF Iowa Gas WAS a Saturday/Sunday Show, would you be there for Both Days? Or just show for Saturday & drive home on Sunday?
I've said this over a 100 times here.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
No offense taken Ohio Oil.

The thing is that the money guys (aka collectors) tend to show up as early in the event timeframe as they can and other resellers are out looking(as I was) to pick up bargains or reasonably priced pieces. It doesn't mean everything gets sold before Saturday.

Big money spenders usually own their own businesses and have the time to take off Thursday and/or Friday and make a point to be at a big car swap meet like Daytona and Moultrie because they know guys like me are there selling. They buy on those days because they've got weekend plans that don't involve walking among a throng of window shoppers.

As I said though, not every deal is sold early, there are plenty of those left for the Saturday. And this year most of the shows I've gone to have been very good sales wise. Whether the traffic is up or down, the guys who have money to spend have it available and typically are willing to spend it with the guys who are willing to wheel and deal like I do.

Last edited by carolinaskies; Wed Dec 05 2012 03:08 PM.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree, there are buyers and then there are window shoppers.

I always find something at every show...simply because I am always fearful of offending the "show gods" by returning home empty handed and jinking myself for life.

I always plan an extra day to follow up on local leads, or to check out local shops and classifieds.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Yep, I made the most of my Florida time with 2 trips to Rennigers Flea & Antique in Mt. Dora and a Monday morning at Webster FL market. These side trips netted several signs and a few toys.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
That's great Paul.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Yeah, as much as I hate being away from family for Thanksgiving I may have to go back next November.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
That's great Paul.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved