Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I'm anxious to start selling at shows where all the vendors are starting to dwindle and have that mindset of giving up. Thats when you can pull in with a trailer full of pumps and clean house, just ask Tom Buckles from Indiana. He showed up at Dayton--sold out. Dixie Gas--sold out. Usually by the time Spring rolls around everyone is ready to climb the walls and hit a show. When I was at Iowa Gas 2 years ago, there were pumps flying out of that place so fast I couldn't even get to the owner quick enough. Columbus is good enough in the summer, I've actually thought about starting up another Ohio show at a different time of the year just because people have to wait an entire year for the shows to come around again. Nothing can stop this hobby, its like a wheat field on fire and no water in sight.Your stuff will sell, just be patient. Good luck,Goober smile

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I haven't sold at a bash in years until I went to Fred's in Sept. I didn't sell everything but sold a bunch of stuff and had a great time. I think you need to price it right though, I did notice that people that still had all their stuff had auction prices on it.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I don't charge a high markup but I think a few signs I bought may have been high but they were so scarce or condition was so nice I paid top dollar which I try not to do but this stuff is getting harder to find.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you did not sell anything then you need to change something. The problem could be that you are at the wrong show. Last year at Iowa Gas I pulled in with a trailer load of pumps and sold out within an hour. And no one tried to low ball my asking prices. Shows are a great place to meet other people that share the same interest and to sell things your ready to pass on. If you want something to sell it needs to be priced at what you would be willing to pay for it if you were on the other side of the table.

Just my one cent worth,
Rob

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
As a buyer and collector I truly love the shows. I have not bought a pump or descent sign without seeing it and putting my hands on it first. At Freds last year I was able to buy a few items although I was only their on Sat. morning. I have attended Bakersfeild in the past and purchased their. If I can only get away from work in time to attend saturday event, I Only have about 3 HOURS to veiw before vendors are packing up and leaving. Dont blame the venders that's the time set up. JMOP (stupid) Lucky i have freind in the area that likes to sell to me and makes it all worth my trip.
P.s. Is there a payment plan
Gene

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Maybe I ought to try Iowa as its the biggest show but it would be a long drive from Calif. Was planning Brimfield Mass in May so can't do both in one year

Originally Posted By: 56chiefstar
Maybe I ought to try Iowa as its the biggest show but it would be a long drive from Calif.

Maybe you could hitch a ride with Dick.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
smirk grin

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Gas Pump Rob
If you did not sell anything then you need to change something. The problem could be that you are at the wrong show. Last year at Iowa Gas I pulled in with a trailer load of pumps and sold out within an hour. And no one tried to low ball my asking prices. Shows are a great place to meet other people that share the same interest and to sell things your ready to pass on. If you want something to sell it needs to be priced at what you would be willing to pay for it if you were on the other side of the table.

This is the rule to follow. Not saying to give stuff away but if you have a Texaco pump plate and hope to get $300 for it at a show because you seen one sell on ebay you might as well forget about getting that for it at a show. Keep in mind most and i mean most guys at the shows are also collectors and have a good idea of what something is worth. Your not going to get something super cheap but it's just another avenue to add items and get to hold them in your hands.
Guys who price stuff reasonable sell items. Guys who you see at the shows with the same stuff for 8 years straight are either setting up for fun or hoping for some millionaire to come threw. LOL

Last thing and the most important thing to add.... shows are about seeing and talking with gas friends as much as finding a item you need. If your only going to buy something so you can sell it for a profit then your going for the wrong reasons and the shows will not be fun for you. The hobby for me is adding something to my collection and talking with guys that i now call friends.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: powerlube
Every show I go to I try to sell out before I leave. I don't care if I sell a $200 item for $150 just as long as I bought it for $149. When I set up I take a loss on some item, guess what I made a bad buy. Its about having fun to me. If I was to try to get every last dollar out of my items I risk loading it all back up. I also make some great friends out there. I think sellers in general need to relax and remember this is a hobby. If its your business then you can't sell if you don't show up.

well said Scott....i try to never load back up what i brought and always have a few losses to the bottom line...BECAUSE..
YOU WILL NOT SELL IF YOU KEEP BRINGING THE SAME JUNK year after year....one thing i have seen year after year at shows...
the fellow with new fresh items to the market/show sells out, and alot with higher than ebay prices....mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Seems like a reply to get me to say something underwood but I am not going for that. I will let you ride,heard you were good friends of his

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry, meant Underthun, got the name wrong

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
You are right Jarvis, Ebay prices are higher then I would get. I have recently bought stuff on ebay and when I try to relist the items do not go near the price I paid no matter how often I relist it or change the wording or pictures, I believe there is a lot of ebayers who have their friends bid up items and have heard of this because some of this stuff on ebay doesnt go for near what I paid. Ebay says they don't allow this but obviously it goes on alot. And when you sell on ebay you have to include the ebay fees, paypal and now they charge fees on shipping which they use to not do. The shows are the best place for finding signs I believe.

Originally Posted By: 56chiefstar
Seems like a reply to get me to say something underwood but I am not going for that. I will let you ride,heard you were good friends of his

I dont know what you are talking about, I was just trying to help out a fellow collector.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
ok

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved