Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#374500 Mon Dec 03 2012 03:53 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Now that the fakers are making the back of the signs with the thick porcelain and paint spots and splotches like the antique ones how do you really tell sometimes the real from the fake? I use to think the easiest way to tell an old one was from the back but now they are copying this. Most time I can tell a fake right away since I have been doing it a long time but sometimes one comes out that cannot tell.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I think its best to keep this kind of information private. Many people who make these signs use this type of info to make thier signs better then they currently are. Pointing out the difference is just helping the repro people.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Oldgas has million of page views. I am sure all the people making fake signs are reading and we are telling them every thing they are doing wrong. We just have to make people aware and stay on top of this junk!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with Jarvis, these people making these signs are mass producing them in India with poor people who are paid almost nothing and they already know how to do it, they been doing it for quite awhile. It wouldn't be so bad if they put a date on them or something like words reproduction so we know they are fake the way it is now you have no idea if its real or fake.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 56chiefstar
these people making these signs are mass producing them in India

Why do you have a need to distort the facts to serve falsely held misconceptions by yourself? As brought to your attention in the past, majority of the reproduction signs are made in North America. Only a small percentage are made overseas.

Information is useless if it's not accurate. If you are going to make statements, then please attempt to reflect some level of accuracy in what you are relaying to others.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Look Daves garage, just go on ebay and look at all the India signs before you speak

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am not responding to any more negative remarks on this post. I have never been in a site with more complainers and I cannot say anything without someone putting me down. Fed up with it. I have been selling and buying signs for 30 years and I do not appreciate people who think they are know it all and say remarks like I am distorting facts when I clearly see tons of these signs on ebay.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved