Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Pegasus
Just like everything else in life (from cars to houses to women), the good stuff ain't cheap

& the Women WON'T last as long as a Nice Sign.
LOL

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thats the truth. I just thought my wife was hot and wanted to take her out a couple times. NOw, Here I sit with two kids and a crossover SUV. What the heck happened to my life?? LOL. Do you guys that travel to collect see a regional difference? I am in Colorado.

Anything MICHELIN and early graphic tin signs
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think uou have to take into account DB's comment regarding what grade you are looking for.I'm in New Mexico and will tell you that the 9.5 and better stuff is getting hard to find,particularly when you are after brands that had little if any presence in this area;Dixie and Champlin come to mind.

I will say this.It's a lot easier to network with other collectors who attend the big shows all over the country than it would be to travel a lot.I'm just saying you can't go to all of them,but you can get to know some guys who do go to a lot of them.That's where some of my good stuff came from.Good luck,

D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
I too agree with DB's statement about the longer you collect, the better quality items you seek. When I first started collecting I bought every dirty, rusty, crusty old gas related item I came across in the shops or out of barns. Now I leave a good amount of those like items in the barn and don't bother dragging them home. When you're new to this, you want it all. When you get to know the hobby better, pick a specialty or brand, understand supply and demand, junk price vs. high quality price, you quickly find out the value is in the nice stuff. That is the case now as it will be in the future!

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
It's been a while since I've found some good stuff but I'm always on the hunt LOL. I have found some good stuff cheap but that was in the 1980's. DB's right I still have the signs.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It does seem harder to find good signs now because all my friends look all over for a few months and then show back up at my house trying to buy my stuff

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is drying up quickly...just like Coke, jukeboxes, etc. I have been going to Coin Op shows since 1985 and have seen the stuff disappear. When was the last time you actually saw old signs hanging on a building? If you can see it from the road...it will not last long. There were visibles, Coke "buttons", neon clocks, etc. everywhere 20 years ago in rural Georgia. Try to find them now. Collect long enough and you will see what I am talking about. Dave Jones

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
It's not all gone...It's still out there somewhere. The fun part of collecting for me is spending hours searching & never knowing when or if a killer piece will show up. Great discussion!

Last edited by rustynuts; Wed Dec 05 2012 06:39 PM.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Yes it's all gone. Don't look anymore. smile

.... Really

... quit looking

... OK OK maybe there's still something left out there for you.

Check out my page on Facebook and you'll see it's still out there!

Pauls Picks

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
What Wes just mentioned is true. There are alot of major peices that exchange hands at gas shows that nobody knows about. For instance, a one peice Penn Drake globe sold at Columbus for $16,000 outside in the parking lot. Or the year before that when a wayne double display case pump (unrestored) sold for $30,000. As for the question at hand, my prediction is that in the next 10 years, we will begin to see some of the best petroliana ever made begin to surface because of the generation thats shall we say "cashing out and buying the farm." SAVE YOUR MONEY. Goober smile

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Goober, it's been a while since a post made me wide eyed, but yours did it. You're not kidding about saving the money. The big boy toys cost a lot and you have to be willing to pay for them for sure.

Anything MICHELIN and early graphic tin signs
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved