Next Thread
Print Thread
#37501 Tue Nov 16 2004 09:01 AM
S
sam8 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well, I have a couple of more questons.
I have decided to go ahead and replace the skins on my Boyle-Dayton 87b, the originals are just too far gone. ( I posted pics in my other thread.)
Before ordering anything, I am going to request a new catalog from Vics Place, but my old one offers the choice of vinyl or water release decals. The pump will eventually find its way outside, to stand next to my shop door. Is one better than the other for outside use?
What are the pros and cons on the choice of decals?
By the way, I have found a powdercoat color that is very close to the red paint I discovered under the "house" paint on my pump, it is called "Red Baron Red" for any of you guys looking for a match to Texaco red. I am going to have the skins powdercoated, and spray the cylinder base and pump base with matching paint.

thanks, guys..

sam8

sam8
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#37502 Tue Nov 16 2004 09:59 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
In my experience the water release decals look better, but don't last as long outside (depends on the exposure too). You can clear coat over the water release decals and that will help. If you go water release check out Mike Slamas stuff, they look great.

------------------
C Cragg
www.poormansmuseum.com

C Cragg
#37503 Tue Nov 16 2004 01:20 PM
H
H
Sam8, If you are going outside with your pump, I might suggest water transfers. Vinyl will work fine and is a lot easier to work with, but in the area that you live, the sun beating down on it will cause vinyl to fade and peel after a short time. Water transfers will resist fading longer, but if you are appying them to a powder coated surface, you will need to use an adhesion promoter like 'Bull Frog' before applying to you pump. Also, clear coating the decal will be nessasary. I know this is a lot of trouble to go through, but in the end, you will have a very authentic looking pump. In Vic's new catalog, I'd recommend using the Texaco Star decal (WDC-312A) on the front, and the Golden Texaco Motor oil decal (WDC-212C) On the sides. I have several original photos of Texaco visible pumps of the era of your pump done in this way. Good luck, and if you should decide to go with water transfers, you can contact me for detailed advice on application. Mike Slama

------------------
maslama@earthlink.net

#37504 Tue Nov 16 2004 01:44 PM
S
sam8 Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the input, guys. I am a true novice at this gas pump stuff.
Mike, I'd love to see those pictures.

sam8

sam8

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved