Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37563 Wed Aug 24 2005 09:57 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I have an old picture of a gas station my Great Grandfather owned called White Star. I believe it was on Grand River. It was owned back in the 1950 or 1960's. Does anyone know how I go about looking up business records? Or does anyone have any information about this gas station?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
there were (and still is) a TON of gas stations (and car lots) on Grand River

that road goes from downtown Detroit all the way out to Lansing, ~ 90 mile length

hard to say, I was a wee one in the 50's

an old phone book may be helpful

------------------
Jim Rohn
Scottsdale, AZ

[This message has been edited by al8apex (edited 08-24-2005).]

Jim Rohn
Scottsdale, AZ
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
White Star was bought out by Mobil in 1933, so my guess is that your picture is much older. I don't know how much longer after that the name White Star Divison of Mobil survived.

Online Cool
Visit the historical society or public library in the area where you think the station was located. Often, old annual city directories listed the business, location and officers of the company. By looking in various years, you can get a range of when a place was in business and who ran it.

If you visit in person, you can usually get some help in looking for what you need. If you call or write them and want them to do all the research, expect to pay a donation or fee to cover the time of the archivist.

We'd like to see the photo. If you could scan it or take a digital photo of it, send it to me via email attachment. Click the tiny "Postcard" icon in my message to get my email address.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you all for your comments, you've been very helpful. The picture is at my Dad's cabin up north but I will make sure I get a copy of it to post so you guys can take a look at it. Thanks again.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved