Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37647 Wed Jan 30 2002 12:35 PM
K
kworley Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have some green glassware from my grandmother. The dishes were give-aways at gas stations with a fill-up. It had to be in the 40's - couldn't have been during the war because gas was not available. They are assorted sizes, look like glasses/sherbert dishes. Clear green glass on top with clear glass stem and base. The bases have bumps/balls on them. They have no markings whatsoever.

Does anyone have additional info on this glassware. Any idea of the value?

Thank you.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#37648 Wed Jan 30 2002 08:16 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
As far back as the 1920's, glassware companies offered glasses, dishes, tableware, and just about everything they could think of, to service station operators to give away with the purchase of gasoline. These were all independent offers, and in one town a Shell station might be giving away the same thing a Sinclair station in the next town was. This was the same thing movie houses gave away on dish Tuesdays. These were generally generic items and did not have a oil company logo. What you describe sounds like one of these and was probably given away during the 1950s. Companies such as Anchor or Corning regulary advertise in National Petroleum News, offering their latest promotional items.
Incidentally gas was available during the war, you just needed ration stamps to get it.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved