Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Is this really good for our hobby?

before

After

This is the kind of stuff that hurts our hobby. Took a nice sign and restored it then cut it up and put neon on it. This has to be the only hobby where you can take a antique collectible and destroy it and sell it for more money.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is that the same sign? Ray had it listed as a 5 footer, the one on ebay is listed as a 72 inch. I see what you are saying but I think the same thing goes on with old cars. A lot are turned into resto mods and chopped hot rods and stuff also.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
C
C
terrible. That sign is destroyed..Loved the before look of it

Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Not sure if it's the same sign or not...
It's a example of the stuff that goes on in this hobby.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Who is at greater fault?
The one who butchered the sign or the one who buys it for 25k?!
I guess if there were no market for it, it would not be produced.

Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Wes, The guy in the first listing said he would take the sign and put his phone number down... then the ebay ad has the same sign and the same phone number.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Jarvis, I think first you are making a big assumption that this is the same guy based on his one post that he would take the sign.

Second, it's not the same sign. It's obvious if you look at the sign. Take more than 10 seconds, compare the two signs side by side.. notice a major difference? C'mon it's easy.

Now as to whether taking one sign and turning it into something else that it never was, if the seller discloses the change then it's between the buyer and that seller. If on the other hand the seller wants to be dishonest then lets string him up by his thumbs!

You know as well as I that most pump restorers don't always restore a pump to the brand it started out. Plenty of lea way is given in that respect. That's not seen as sacrilegious even though it's similar in kind. I know, a pump is a far cry from a sign, but the idea is the same, making it something that specific pump never was in it's life.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
BTW, There's a great 2005 article & pics on McColl on this site. Check it out. COTM from 2005

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I agree that this is as bad for the hobby as unmarked repros - but with all due respect to Jarvis, the hobby be damned - the HISTORY is what's being destroyed, in the name of the Almighty Dollar...the one who butchered the sign is the one to blame...

...we have to get off of this "it's his, he can do what he wants to" BS...we're all just saving this stuff for posterity - which means we're supposed to be PRESERVING IT...

...the guy that butchers a Red Indian sign like this, so he can cash in selling neon to Dimbulb Deeppockets, is worse the farmer who lets an unused pump rot in a field, only in the respect that his destruction is aggressive and not passive...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It doesn't matter if it's the same sign or different... it's the point behind taking an original sign and destroying it for profit and profit alone.
I am noting that the sign Ray had was a nice sign and was $3,600... same kind of sign wih new paint and new neon is now $25,000?

If your restoring a sign then putting neon on it... why not just take a plain piece of metal, paint it to what ever you want and put neon on it? It's still the exact same thing in the end right!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies

Second, it's not the same sign. It's obvious if you look at the sign. Take more than 10 seconds, compare the two signs side by side.. notice a major difference? C'mon it's easy.

Explain the difference?, owner says sign was restored and neoned, other than that I am seeing the same.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
I saw that on ebay last night. Way too busy with the colors of neon for me, and yes what a way to ruin a sign. This I see is happening to a lot of good signs. More unsuspecting people will be drawn to these manifestations. Sorry just feel that this one is over the top.

Craig
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Boys boys... count to 10 and take a Valium.

The sign sold through OG was 5ft, center was black/red, dbl sided porcelain. On Ebay, it's 6ft, center is ALL BLACK, (not indicated as dbl sided), indicated as restored which may be sign or simply the box/neon/power unit.

If you took more time and Valium and less testosterone and time spent jumping to conclusions you might look at what the guy has offered up, sold, and his overall rating. Jarvis should be ashamed of himself for using this example.

Sure there are some unscrupulous people out there. But you know there are over 9 Billion, that's right Billion with a "B" that if even 1% collected petrol stuff you'd never be able to buy an original item as cheap as you have again. There are many people with beer budgets that buy repop/fantasy and maybe one day they will be able to buy the real stuff. Then there's the snob collector who will spend what is some peoples entire year salary or more on one item. And then there's everyone in between. The market is going to change and expand to attempt to meet the money that's out there, it's a fact.

As I said in an earlier post, if someone has modified a piece it's between them and the buyer as to price and honesty. There are always going to be sheisters who try to pass something off as original when it isn't, but they aren't the norm and no one should be acting like they are on every street corner hawking their stuff.

It is the collectors responsibility to be informed, intelligent, and savvy.

As for selling stuff for profit, I'd rather complain about the gas/oil companies profiting from every American than 1 guy selling an neon sign to someone for $25K. My priorities are my pocketbook rather than the guy who's got that kind of money to burn.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The one on ebay has a black/red porcelain background.
Look closer at it,you can see it with the zoom.

Other then the 5ft. vs. 6ft. description,if I was a betting man,(and I am),my money is on that this is the same sign Ray sold him 3 mos.ago.
..and Rays was a single sided like the one for sale on ebay now,not a double.

Last edited by Cold Pizza; Fri Dec 14 2012 05:18 PM.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Two different signs. You guys need to get over this desire to castigate everyone on eBay.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved