Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
In the time that this thread has gone on, Many signs, pumps, houses,cars,human bodies ect. have been altered. Some people like, some don't like modifications. Don't like don't look. Don't like don't buy. Just My cent and a half.
TONY

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
Benjamin Franklin
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Originally Posted By: Woodys Rod Shop
In the time that this thread has gone on, Many signs, pumps, houses,cars,human bodies ect. have been altered. Some people like, some don't like modifications. Don't like don't look. Don't like don't buy. Just My cent and a half.
TONY

That is not a bad way of looking at it!

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The only thing i like that is fake or repop and that is breast implants. LOL I know some guys don't... but as SI from Duck Dynasty would say "hey... i like them and that's a fact Jack"

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just got confirmation it's the exact same sign Ray sold to him 3 mos. ago.
And agree,the real principal here isn't what he's asking for it,but what he did to it.
10 years from now,new comers to this hobby are going to think every porcelain sign originally came w/neon and the ones without it are knockoffs..

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Well that really is to bad! It was a rare sign in great shape. In my world its worth half of what Ray sold it for. Now if its worth the asking price then maybe I'm in the wrong hobbie.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion so here is mine. I have to admit that I 100% agree with the people who implied that a great sign has been destroyed. The sign is not original anymore. What we have now is a "fantasy" Red Indian neon sign on eBay with a $25,000 Buy It Now. ROTFLMAO

The buyer/seller is Steve Gutmans from Massachusetts and oldsignsnstuff is his eBay user ID. I have been contacted by him in the past regarding a couple of signs (thank God that sale didn't happen) so I know what I'm talking about. From what I have heard he knows the deep pocket players and is looking to cash in.

He was Last Online: Thu Dec 13 2012 03:28 AM. Therefore I suspect it will only be a matter of time before the opportunity presents itself to be read.

This is one makeover that has failed... plain & simple !!

JARVIS... the "Subject" title is spot on. Kudos to you smile

Last edited by Chevrolet SS; Fri Dec 14 2012 03:40 PM.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not something that I would ever consider doing to any sign unless it was originally a neon sign! It really makes me wince because I dig these signs and appreciate them in any ORIGINAL condition.
I did not want to do the repair work that I did to the US Royal sign that I have but I did because what I did took away a lot of the damage that someone had done to it by using it as a backdrop for painting projects for ?something?
I did it to repair and preserve it, not for profit.
I did not alter the wording or cut holes or patch up or paint that sign at all except to coat it with a heavy clear coat after trying to take as much of the damage off as possible without further damaging it. I think what I did brought back out some of the wording and sealed it so that it would be preserved for awhile to come and now anyone who drives by on hwy 904 can see it and anyone that walks up the path to the shoppe can see it well compared to it bieng shoved away in some stack of signs in a garage.
I have not done that to any of the other signs that I have and would never even consider it unless it was in similar shape as this one when I got it but I did do similar things to the hanger that sign is hanging on now and that was probably a mistake on my part because I should've just coated it to preserve the patina where it was instead of painting it and then sealing it.

I have that Wayne 70 that is a original Flying A Pump and I still have 2 sides of the original ad glass but no original Flying A pump signs, so what I'm gonna do is try to find a original pump door sign and then buy reproduction Flying A ad glasses for the missing ones and a reproduction door sign and do half the pump in original and half in reproduction. If I can find the stuff. ,,,but the other side of that is that I am going to be doing many unoriginal things to that pump but in original Flying A colors and so forth along the whole FLYING A ASSOCIATED theme.
I am one of those types that likes to see pumps put back to their original company if someone is going to take the time to restore one, but I understand when others take them to what they like because it's all about what spins their windmill, that just dosen't spin mine for pumps, signs or any of these original pieces of Americana.
Once it is out of my hands tho I would not and could not say a thing to them for what they do to it, but I would never sell another thing to them again because that is the only thing that I would have control over while that piece is with me.

It kinda stings to know that the Rainbow pump that I had is bieng turned into something else but a Wayne 100B is a lot more common than this sign was.
UGH

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well he apparently found a buyer and has sold the sign off eBay.

I wrote him for more pictures and this was his response..

"Hi, It is a single-sided with a full-size can on the back for the transformers & wiring. Unfortunately, it was just sold. Please contact me if you are looking for these types of signs. We specialize in large porcelain & neons. Thank-you for the interest. - Steve"

I'm not particularly concerned about it being restored. And I hope he got his $25K. I'm tired of whiners. If you've got deep pockets just buy all these signs and put them in a museum for people to see rather than sitting in your private collection/hoard.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Paul you .... ... ... .... LOL

Last edited by blacktee; Fri Dec 14 2012 05:13 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
The only thing i like that is fake or repop and that is breast implants. LOL I know some guys don't... but as SI from Duck Dynasty would say "hey... i like them and that's a fact Jack"

SELF FASCINATION, John? Double HH?
You'd be a Pin Head AFTERWARDS! smile

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Dec 14 2012 05:45 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Isn't this a discussion OLDGAS just had a week or two ago. Exact same subject???

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
LOL, the same discussions get rehashed at least a couple times a month.

The whiners whine about the sad state of affairs, about eBay driving prices up, about pieces being changed, about giving out valuations, about pictures not being included with posts, and in general the increased cost of their hobby and anything else they just are totally dissatisfied with related to the hobby.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YEP;
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=373507&page=1
BUT it's Winter, too Cold [MOST Places] to Play in Garage or outside! & on TV w/ recent Tragedy, each reporter telling the same story, stuffing cameras in the face of Victims.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Yep... everyone complains but i see from the replies most everyone agrees with most of the "whiners". Always just a few that thinks people are complaining.

This was a legitimate post... title said all for greed and it was showing how someone ruined a good original sign. Call it whining all you want. Just pointing out what our hobby has come to.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved