Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3780 Sat Oct 21 2006 08:20 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This is my opinion here but I think to help get younger guys in the hobby people 30 and younger should get in the gas shows for free. I read where an Antique market in Nashville is going to try to get the next generation involved.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#3781 Sat Oct 21 2006 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darn - I am just too old at 32! lol

But I will be 52 when I get these 19 unrestored pumps finished! I only get about 3 done a year... but I buy about 6 a year.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#3782 Sat Oct 21 2006 08:47 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Travis, I am 35 and i to am to old also. LOL

I think wives should get in free also... charging them is stupid. promotors are lossing to ebay as it is. I here more collectors saying "i can put this on ebay and sell it for this." I would think a promoter would want to get the most people he can to a show. I know it's differant when your on this side of the fence but i am looking at this from a public's side not as a promotor.

#3783 Sat Oct 21 2006 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yea, the wife charging stuff is BAD - that is why I never get to go - heck she does not even what to go to the home shows anymore becuase they charge her & she does not really want to be there in the first place if you know what I mean? So I never go to the home shows anymore either. So they loose... I just do not go alone...

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#3784 Sat Oct 21 2006 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think the Promoters will go for that or this:
Maybe sellers over 70 should get FREE selling spaces ! Incentive for more of them to get rid of stuff. LOL
BUT, I think buyers wives should be admitted FREE. They CONTROL the MONEY in most households !
db

MOST shows out here charge for PARKING & an ENTRANCE FEE PER HEAD.

That explaines why some of us have BIG HEADS, it's CHEAPER than 2 HEADS ! LOL

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 10-21-2006).]

#3785 Sat Oct 21 2006 09:03 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
JJ...I agree the spouse/a child for free...but I don't think that waiving the admission for the under 30 set would instantly create interest in that age bracket. If you have even a TINY interest in oil 'n gas memorabilia, admission to a show isn't going to keep you away IMO. If you don't have an interest, you won't go even if it's free. I mean, if there were an action figure show in my town and I read the admission was waived because I'm 28, I still wouldn't go.

#3786 Sat Oct 21 2006 10:37 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Years ago when I was just into old cars, I always said you don't go to a auto parts swap meet looking to pick up women, because everyone of them there was dragged there by their husband or boyfriend. So, yes I agree, wives and girlfriends should be admitted free.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#3787 Sun Oct 22 2006 05:59 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Two words...IOWA GAS!

#3788 Sun Oct 22 2006 11:38 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
How bout the promoters get a little more realisitic and start the shows on Saturday am and not allow any sale transactions prior. Starting a show on Thursday or Friday eliminates guys like me that have to work. Makes no sense to me to waste time & fuel when all the good deals are gone before I even arrive. This crowd is getting younger and the promoters need to change their ways.....
It's not about $$ or I woulndn't be a collector, meaning we all have disposable income anyway but spouses and children should be free.

[This message has been edited by Blastmaster (edited 10-22-2006).]

Rick H, Sacramento Ca.
#3789 Sun Oct 22 2006 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Chris (Rarin to Go) IOWA GAS no admission!

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#3790 Sun Oct 22 2006 12:48 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nothing against any show or promoter, you do what you want...I'll decide to go or not if I feel its worth going to. What the heck is an extra 20-50 bucks one way or the other if I'm already committed to much more in expenses.

When I bring my wife I'm much happier, she's the one who tells me to spend the extra, extra on a nice piece when it means sacrificing the budget or something else for awhile. I may be the exception, not the rule in this comment. Maybe she just wants to go home and that's the fasted way to get it accomplished, or truely knows she can sell a 9 item at a profit easier than a 5? LOL

Where do all the comments come from with this next generation of collectors, especially under 30. If they exist in any numbers I have not seen them bidding against me at any auctions or selling or buying at shows...that includes car shows. I know they are out there but not in the numbers we would like to see. I can only think of two "younger" collectors that I sometimes see with 2k to blow...At most shows I have attended, I'm one of the "younger" looking guys there. I'm 38. The next generation of collectors that I can see will be my kids, inheriting if I don't have to sell off for college or such. If they continue they will just be joining the existing young crowd not going to shows, but doing it over internet in some fashion.

When is the last time any "younger" Oldgas member took off from work on a thursday or a friday to attend a petro auction or show more than 150 miles from home? I'd like to know, go ahead and post it.

my 2c,
Kim

(Oldgas has been dead lately, maybe a good blowout will get some action.)

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
#3791 Sun Oct 22 2006 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PRIORITIES...
Do you take time off to go
to GRADUATIONS,
to WEDDINGS,
to FUNERALS [other than FAMILY MEMBERS]
FISHING,
GOLF, etc.
On a weekday ?
PRIORITIES ! For ME, it's a VACATION.
db

EDIT to include...[other than FAMILY MEMBERS]

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 10-22-2006).]

#3792 Sun Oct 22 2006 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The cost of admission to a show is the least expensive part of going to a show. I don't see admission cost as being a big deal unless you're talking about early buyers fees.
Most show promoters will let wives and kids in free if you ask them about it before hand.
As for the under 30 crowd. I don't see it either. I can only think of a few people that young in the hobby.....and they are in it because their dad's are in the hobby.
There are a lot of 30 something guys in the hobby. Most 30 and 40 something year olds still have to work. It can be tough to get off work for a weekday show. Its even worse to have to take off Wednesday and Thursday for a Friday/Saturday show, but thats what you have to do because most dealers are long gone by mid morning on Friday of a Fri/Sat show. The shows and big auctions are geared towards the older crowd. They are the ones that have more disposable income so they are the ones that most show promoters cater to.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#3793 Sun Oct 22 2006 03:47 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Kim, I am 35 and go to about 4 or 5 shows a year and travel 150 to some each way. It is very hard for me to take off work during the middle of the week. I will never go to IOWA gas because i will not waste a full week of vacation. I don't bring my wife because i think it's stupid to pay money for her to come in for someone that hates this stuff. It's not that i don't have the money to spend.

When i posted under 30 get in free... if you guys only see 4 or 5 people or less that are 30 than why not make it free. Some guy walks up to the door and finds out it cost $20 to get in he might not come in. I made this topic to try and help younger guys get interested.

I will tell you what got me started... besides being around old cars all my life, talking with some really nice collectors here in town and seeing there displays and how it looked is what got me hooked. You never know when some guy comes to your house he could be a future collector!

#3794 Sun Oct 22 2006 04:11 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Well, I'm 27 and my husband 28. We frequently take off from work to go to shows and easily "blow" 2k if it's something we want. As a matter of fact we are leaving Thur. nite for Peotone. I think the point here is that in order to keep this hobby going, there has to be an inlet for younger people in order to afford things. I am fortunate that my husband and I make very good money and are able to invest in this stuff. Not to many people our age can go out and buy up a bunch of pumps at an auction, or pay cash for a Harley. It's all about the fun of it. Do I agree about wives getting in for free? Not really because in my case I am more of the collector than my husband. Do I think it's fair or right to have shows on Thursday's or Fridays...I wouldn't do it if I was a promoter. Most people..."your everyday collector" are not going to take time off from work for a show because they need to save time for family vacations or whatever. So SuperAmerica...here I am. A "younger" collector...with money...and I do take off work to go to shows. As a matter of fact I've probably out bid you a time or two at auctions...

#3795 Sun Oct 22 2006 04:27 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
look at some of the posts in the past of the "gas shows"... over rated... gagged on the prices... too far to travel for nothing... got there and everybody was packing up... couldn't find a pump ... didn't fall into my time frame and on and on ...not good press if you ask me. you can't make EVERYBODY HAPPY.... we of ourselves will destroy a good part of this hobby. for me... right now.... i'll stick to ebay.

#3796 Sun Oct 22 2006 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If some of you guys are in your twentys or thirtys. This hobby is alive and well.

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#3797 Sun Oct 22 2006 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"look at some of the posts in the past of the "gas shows"... over rated... gagged on the prices... too far to travel for nothing... got there and everybody was packing up... couldn't find a pump ... didn't fall into my time frame and on and on ...not good press if you ask me. you can't make EVERYBODY HAPPY.... we of ourselves will destroy a good part of this hobby. for me... right now.... i'll stick to ebay. "

You can never make "everybody" happy but some promoters do a better job than others of trying to please their customers.
The Chicagoland's show at Peotone is a good example. Dealer set up and early buyers on Saturday afternoon. The show is Sunday for the general public. Indoor vendoors cannot leave early.
Dealers get to trade "early" between themselves on Saturday. Serious buyers can get in then too if they want to pay the early buyers fee. The general public is assured the sellers will still be there for the advertised show hours. The promoters draw an average of 1100 buyers. Eveybody wins.

Some promoters aren't as far sighted. Some shows are over before the advertised start time. Can you imagine a retail store advertising being open from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm but actually open at midnight and close at 6:00 am? Its not going to happen. The people running those stores realize that wouldn't be good for the health of their business. So why do show promoters allow it to happen?

Ebay? There's no substitute for being able to inspect something in person before you buy. Can't do that on ebay.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#3798 Sun Oct 22 2006 07:24 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have thought for a long time that admission should be free to all shows. The vendors should pick up these costs as they are there selling. Buyers should get in free always!

p.s. I am a vendor as well as a spectator at some shows.

Rich

clockface pumps, Harleys, the Beach
#3799 Mon Oct 23 2006 06:12 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I just turned 27 about one month ago, and I have been in this hobby with my father for about 17 years. I would have to beleive that myself and Aaron Hopp are the only two that have 15+ years of experience and still are under the age of thirty. I personally do not know Aaron, know who he is but never met him. I would be willing to bet that out of all the regular show attendees, that they could pick the two of us out of a crowd. (Aaron and his dad have all the good globes and my father and I are usually in the corner with 300+ cans for sale.) I try to attend as many shows, auctions, ect. that I can, without missing to much work. I very rarley spend 1K let alone 2K, but theres always that certain auction or show were stuff is just to good to pass up. I don't expect to get in free, but it would be nice, I'm not going to lie. I do suggest that spouses and childeren get in free, I have neither.

I go to shows to sell, and there are some people that just go to shows to do just that, SHOW. Do you pay to get into a museum? If you are running a booth with nothing for sale under $500, your not hurtin'. I would pay to go buy, but I wouldn't pay to go look. I can do that on the internet, check out Mr. Bettin's web site. I generally sell beteween 1,000 and 3,000 dollars worth of stuff at every show, with nothing over $500.00. I will not set up at Peotone anymore due to the fact that certain auction companies have ruined most of my fun by holding auctions one or two days before the show. I live 5 hours from this particular show and no closer than 2 hours from any show that I attend each year. I personally know atleast 4 vendors that are not setting up this fall because of this reason. Not that we don't have money to spend, but if I can't make money at a show I sure ain't going to be spending any money.

I'm going to travel the 5 hours this weekend to deliver stuff that I have bought for people that have contacted me through this site, auctions and what not. I go to see people and have a good time. If the two auctions that are going to be held this weekend would happen to be one month apart from each other later on down the road, I would personally spend more money and get to see gas friends and have a good time, AGIAN and AGAIN.

To me, taking off for a weekend with my dad is a vacation, even through I see him everyday of the week. We do not spend the $20 dollar early bird fee, for the simple fact that the stuff we buy will probably be there the next day(cans). If it is not, we were not meant to have it anyways.

If some of you know who I am please say hi, as I love to meet new people that I can talk to about gas n oil. I will be sporting a VON DUTCH hat and coat, name is Chad Thompson.

#3800 Mon Oct 23 2006 06:26 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Myself (28) and John O'Hern are two more young guys that I can think of off the top of my head that attend shows and auctions. I shouldn't count towards the hobbyist total though, since, this is my occupation moreso than my hobby.

As to the shows & the schedules that they keep, there are ALWAYS going to be guys that come to town 2-3 days before the show, regardless of when that show starts. They will have an impromptu swap in the Wal-Mart parking lot if they have to. I don't begrudge them though, because they are either A)putting food on the table by buying & selling or B)wealthy enough to be there hanging out.

#3801 Mon Oct 23 2006 07:32 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
This topic gets brought up again and again,the funny thing is that it always seems to change as many of the new collectors no matter what age give their opinions of the shows and how they are run and the prices of the items offered there.I went to the last Peotone show and had a great time.Whether I buy or not,I just like to see old friends and different pieces for sale.Im 33,been collecting for about 10yrs,have had many old cars and old Harleys and thats what got me started and the people like Kim,John,and Seth keep me and my money here in this hobby.Remember,we are not owners but just holders of this stuff for a while,it will pass on,hopefully to someone that will enjoy it as much as we do.
P.S. Hey Ihavegas if you have so much money extra to spend let me know,I have 2 old Harleys and plenty of pumps to sell,help me out,trying to get off welfare,LOL!

------------------

#3802 Tue Oct 24 2006 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chad,
How has the auction ruined the show for you?
I've set up at every spring Peotone show and attendance (and sales) really jumped when Aumanns started holding auctions in conjunction with the show.
An auction was part of the very first Peotone show. That auctioneer was one of the original promoters.
It can be argued that the auction (that is not officially part of the show) siphons money that could be spent at the show. BUT it can also be argued that the auction brings in more buyers and more money to the show.

Either way I can't blame the auction company. Their job is to get the best price for their sellers. A sure way to do that is to hold the auction in conjunction with a show.

Most of us go to shows to buy. Having an auction (or in this case 2 auctions) makes it better.
I plan on buying at both auctions and the show, but even if I can't find something to buy I'll still have fun hanging out with friends.

#3803 Tue Oct 24 2006 06:54 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I feel, as a 27 year old collecter, who has been active since 15 that if you want to attract the younger crowd (which will be the life blood of this hobby) you sellers should adjust the prices accordingly. No college grad fresh out on his own will have hundreds or thousands of dollars for a sign and dont even get me started on globes. I realize the economics of pricing but where will it stop. I have seen prices climb exponentially since I first started. what youn collector will be able to eventually pat 1500 for an unrestored visible, which will just sit in his living room. Just something to consider.

#3804 Tue Oct 24 2006 07:37 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
If you are into collector cars at all, and follow the trend on muscle cars, and bother to read what is going on in THIS hobby, you will know that 'these are the good old days' as Carly Simon once sang----

It is a known fact that within ten years the muscle car cow will be dried up. Those million dollar Hemi Cudas will be long gone because this market is poised to collapse, reason being THERE ARE VERY FEW YOUNG PEOPLE AT THE SWAP MEETS AND AUCTIONS they, as a group, could care less about old cars. The only guys active in this are the Vietnam era vets, and they are getting older too.

The same will happen with the petroliana hobby.

What I'm saying is, if you like an item buy it, but don't buy it simply because you think years from now you will quadruple your money. The "investors" at Barrett-Jackson have already destroyed the old car hobby, making it a game for the wealthy only...............

#3805 Tue Oct 24 2006 07:48 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
We all understand your frustration Ryan, but remember, unless it's coming out of a long-time collection, sellers are paying big bucks for the piece to begin with, so how can they resell it cheap?

Take an urestored gas pump for example. The other day, I bought a M&S 70 from a picker for $450. It was missing faces & a piece of stainless. Because I make parts, let's say I was able to make it complete for $50 add'l dollars, so now we are at $500. Now, let's say I take it to a show 500 miles away (1K mile round trip @ $2/gallon = $200 fuel), that requires I spend 2 nights in hotels (at least $150). I gotta eat 6 meals on those 2 days ($50/minimum). When I get there, my 10 x 10 booth is $75. So I've $475 in the trip before I've ever had the chance to sell the M&S 70.

Now hopefully, I've got other items to sell to amortize the expense of the trip over, but you get what I'm saying. 5-8 years ago, that same picker would've sold me that same pump for $150 instead of $450. Most of the guys that I know that are selling the $10k & $20K items aren't marking them up that much. They are laying huge amounts of cash to get the items in the first place.

Like I said, I know it's frustrating, we all want the best deal we can get.

#3806 Tue Oct 24 2006 10:35 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Seth, I do understand your point. I also realize that as America becomes one soul less "cookie cutter" city and town after the other the desire for a glimpse of the old days becomes quite appealing. I have done business with you and your company before and always felt as if I was treated fairly. My problem is with the select dealers who jack prices up so high. I have always found my items out in the wild then purchased replacement parts from dealers, this has been the easiest way for a college student to collect petro. Im worried that years from now only a handful of collectors will controll 90% of the items in this hobby then what?

#3807 Tue Oct 24 2006 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've watched this string for a bit, and thought that I might add something... As each and everyone of us got into this hobby for our own reasons, I ask you.... Did ANYBODY think to themselves about the cost? Nobody gets into a hobby to SAVE money.... Think about what attracted you to this, or any other hobbies. WOW factor, Right? You probably saw someting petro related, and said to yourself "Thats Cool"... Maybe somebody thought" Hey my Dad, Grandfather, Uncle, whatever, had one of those, and I always liked it" Or maybe you saw a can collection, sign collection, went to a restaurant that had some petro decor..... I think that its about the PASSION of the hobby, not the cost. I agree that some costs are high, I also know what it takes to produce some of this stuff. Plain aluminum faceplates probably cost a few bucks, Right. But thats AFTER the cost of the pattern, dies, press, silkscreens, ect.... Thats where the $$$ come in. I'm good with that. But back to the passion. How many of your friends, saw someting in your collection, and said "WOW"...? Now, to me, thats where its at. Unless there is an attraction, to what we do, and what we have, cost wont matter.... I will give ANYBODY here a free POG to start their pog collection..... I doubt that anybody will take me up on that. Who remembers pogs anyways? Look at todays youth. If I'm stereotyping anybody here please dont be offended. Most High school kids are into their cell phones, computer and/or video games, IPODS, downloading music... Techno stuff right? How many, young adults, get exited about something like and old sawmill, a mining museum, or a railroad museum? What about street rods? You would be hard pressed to find a 20 something, driving a 39 Buick, or a 68 Chevelle..... How many of them could drive a manual transmission, let alone know what "Ram Air" or "Cowl Induction" is.... And what does "Boss" mean, on a "Boss 351"? And whats a "Cleaveland" anyways? We are a select few, that choose to preserve history and collect works of art. Afterall, it is art, isn't it? Without some sort of inspiration, or a burning passion, why would anybody go to a "Petro Swap Meet" at any cost? Stores are free, but how many of you guys, go to a train store, for example? I think that the age issue, is only because some of us older guys, have a want to remember the "Good old days" and this brings some of it back for us. Then it goes on from there. Like the guy who has an old car, and wants "A" pump, for his shop, because the look kinda cool.... Something needs to fire up a passion, for the passion to grow. I dont feel that cost is a major issue. If a person wants something bad enough, they'll find the money..... JMO.

Here... Lets see if I can inspire any body. Here is a FREE gas pump, for each and everyone of you guys.....
http://www.schaalbouw.nl/bpomp18.pdf
http://www.schaalbouw.nl/bpomp43.pdf

Have fun guys.....

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 10-24-2006).]

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#3808 Tue Oct 24 2006 01:54 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Lastgas 15

I have set up at the last 6 consecutive Peotone shows and a vey nice spot in the front room, and have had all the traffic that I could ask for in one day. Attendence is great at this show, but the sales have not proven to be great for me at this particular show. Does the economy play factor in this, maybe so, maybe people are not willing to spend as much money as they use to. BUT, since the start of the pre-show auction, I have continuously made less money at each show. I do not know the actual numbers, but the last time I went to this show and set up, it cost me more to go there(gas, hotel, food, space) than what I made. This doesn't even account for the money invested in the product that I sold. It was the least amount of money that I have made at a show in at least 10 years.

I'm obviously still going, but for the only reason being that people are and have been paying me some very good wages to go to auctions for them and bid on stuff they can not. I do not ask for any money to do this, but you know as well as I do that if you want something at an auction that you can not attend, it is a luxery to have friends that knows what they are looking at bid on something for you.

It is not economically unfeasable for me to go and set up at this show at the current rate of sales that I have had in the past. Like I have said, I'm not the only one from my area that feels this way, and or the state. It has showed at the last three shows as I sure it will show at this one as well, the inside vendors are not as abundent as they use to be.

As I did state though, this is a vacation for me, and if I didn't enjoy going on vacation I wouldn't go. I guess that I will enjoy the fact that I can walk around and talk without worrying about my booth. At the next "non pre-show auction" event in Peotone, I will set up.

#3809 Tue Oct 24 2006 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chad,
I've had good shows as a seller and bad shows as a seller. When a show draws 1100 people in one day and I look around and see people carrying things out to their cars I know that if my sales are low that day that I either don't have the right merchandise or what I have is priced too high.

Are you and your Dad collectors as well as dealers?
I consider myself a collector and not a dealer. I'd rather go to a show to buy than to set up and sell. Thats why I don't usually set up at the fall show.

Jeff,
Its passion that motivates the collector.
Its potential profit that motivates the dealer.

#3810 Tue Oct 24 2006 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think that the issue here might be getting a little bit sidetracked.... JJ's post was

"This is my opinion here but I think to help get younger guys in the hobby people 30 and younger should get in the gas shows for free. I read where an Antique market in Nashville is going to try to get the next generation involved."

So, I think that Its the "next generation" thats the issue here, not auctions and entry fees....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#3811 Tue Oct 24 2006 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I've always been into Muscle cars first,and just recently I've flourished over into Gas & Oil collecting.
10 years ago,my 8 year old nephew saw my restored Chevelle,and didn't really appreciate it.He is now 18 and is attending antique carshows much more frequently w/me looking to buy one possibly.
I opened the Garage the other day and he saw my Sunoco Wayne 511 blender again and asked what it was.I told him and said "Don't you remember this when I showed it to you years ago?"...he said,"Not at all,..Did they used to pump gas from this?..tell me more about it."
Being new to this hobby,I basically told him what lil I have learned so far,as well as let him look at Jacks Gas pump book,and others.
He was astonished.He couldn't believe there was an age when there wasn't computer LED readout gas pumps.not to mention air was FREE and someone cleaned your windshield for you in a uniform while smiling.
I told him it is evolution at it's finest and that he should go further back in the books to see the clock face plate pumps & gravity pumps before that.
He has since taken all my books Home with him to read,and calls me weekly to ask questions that I don't have the answers to.
He is really interested and I told him to come along with me to Peotone to see some of these in person.
I hope he follows me this weekend.

------------------
"It's A Gas!"

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
#3812 Tue Oct 24 2006 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
coldpizza,
Get your son signed on. MOST of the information on here needs to be passed on to the YOUNGER GENERATION, BEFORE it gets forgotten by US OLDGEEZERS !
db

#3813 Tue Oct 24 2006 06:11 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I agree with Ihavegas because I'm 16 and this stuff is expensive. You all go out and buy a $375 pump like I just bought and think its nothing when I'm thinking that aint cheap at all. Only if that Bennett 766 for $375 was a Wayne 60. But most kids at school when I'm checking my ebay in class think its stupid so It's something you have to be raised into in my opionion. But then they dont have good taste. Make sure to bid on my ebay auctions I have listed to help a 16 year old out.Item numbers 300041504179 and 300041804386. And I dont kno if it counts or not Kim but I go 200 miles for Hershey every year and miss school 3 days. Which I am also a buyer so looks like you know a young buyer/seller now.
Robert

[This message has been edited by MrMoneyClips (edited 10-24-2006).]

#3814 Tue Oct 24 2006 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Robert,

Keep looking - go out for a drive this summer down every dusty gravel country roads and look up by the farm homes "over by the big round drum gas tanks" for old pumps. If you see a pump - or something that looks like a pump stop in and talk to them. You WILL find those wayne 60's for 150.00 bucks! It is REAL EASY and you will be supprised what you will find.

You might go 400 miles before you find a pump - but once you find one pump you will find about 60 around that spot. I usually go 2 days with NO finds, and then find 20-30 on the 3rd day.

Being a young guy like you the farmers will jump at the thought that you want an old pump. DO NOT CALL IT AN ANTIQUE - do not talk about ebay, do not talk about lots of money, do not talk about the internet, do not talk about seeing them restored, do not talk about antique stores, and do not talk about how much it is worth. Let them decide how much it is worth, most of the time they will ask you how much it is worth - tell them "I have no clue, I am not rich and I do not have that much money, I just want an old gas pump to put in my bedroom. I supose I could give you a hundered bucks? Would that work for you? If they laugh and say no, then say "well tell me what you want for it?" Just call it an "old gas pump". "Hi, my name is SOANDSO - and I am woundering if you guys would be interested in selling your old gas pump?" Just tell them you are looking for an old pump to restore and you do not know if there are any parts out there for it, but you will do the best you can.

FORGET ebay and find them on your own. That is where the guys on ebay are getting them. Do not mess with auctions or shows either, they want to much $$$ for the pumps they are getting with the method I talk about above.

Only look on the gravel roads, drive for 10 miles on way, then turn right, go 1 mile over to the next road, and turn back for 10 miles, and then turn left, and go 1 mile, and then turn back and go 10 miles the other way, "maping the route" up and down the gravel roads. If you have no luck on that side of the country town, go to the other side of the town you live in and do it again.

You will find those pumps for 100 bucks I promise!

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

[This message has been edited by travis_towle (edited 10-24-2006).]

#3815 Tue Oct 24 2006 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Robert,

ONE MORE thing, do not drive your car up there looking like a gang banger... you know with the droopy pants, ball hats, and "thugware". DO NOT drive a car with tented "gangsta" windows, or pull in there driveway with "boom boom boom mother fer mother fer" ratteling their home. Go alone - not with anyone else - people get nervous with lots of people snooping around there home/farm.

Just ware some blue jeans, and a plain short sleeve shirt with NO writing on it. Something like a black NIKE shirt is best. No ball caps, no cell phone, clean shaven, and clean looking, just look like an every day nice city boy. You do not need to have CASH on you as long as you know how to get back to them. Pull in the driveway, and HONK - do not wait, just slowly shut your door, slowly walk up to there door and knock on it - do not try to "hide" you want people to know you WANT them to know you are there... and you are not trying to sneek around and steal something...

Take your gas pump ID book with you, and keep it under your car seat. Maybe have 15 business cards with your name & nubmer on them saying "looking for old gas pumps" under your name and number. Have your mailing address on the card too. If they are not home or no one answers the door, then leave the card on there door with hand writeing on the back saying "please call me about your gas pump"... If they do not call you then go back next week or on the weekend. It seems once you find a pump 10 others find it that same week. I only get 1 phone call back for every 40 cards I leave. But when I do the returns I usually come home with 30 of those 40 pumps I found. And the best part is the guys I buy the pumps from usually know where there are more pumps in the area...

If you get pulled over by the sherif show tell them what you are doing, and show them your book and cards. This will help you explain to the sherif if you happen to get pulled over for spooking the neighborhood. I have never had the sherif called on me, but I always wounder?

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

[This message has been edited by travis_towle (edited 10-24-2006).]

#3816 Wed Oct 25 2006 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF, they say it ain't for sale, DON'T OFFER THEM $125,000.00 ! LOL
db

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 10-25-2006).]

#3817 Wed Oct 25 2006 04:54 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
DB if i had that much money I'd be rollin in the gas pumps. lol to bad i dont have that much and the username MrMoneyClips is a money clip holding less then $40 in my bank account right now till i sell my signs on ebay. lol But thanks Travis that's by far the best advice I've gotten so far about getting gas pumps at good deals.

[This message has been edited by MrMoneyClips (edited 10-25-2006).]

#3818 Wed Oct 25 2006 05:14 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
read travis's post.... just be fair... don't take advantage of the farmer that perhaps can lead you to better finds... YOU know what this crapola is worth. why beat him up. how would YOU feel. oh... you say.. thats business... hope you sleep good.

#3819 Thu Oct 26 2006 08:55 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I am reading this and some of the stuff amazes me.Off the original question,EVERYTHING in our future depends on the younger people,heres your sign! I go to alot of car shows and most of the people there are younger guys,my first car was a 68 big block camaro,not vietnam vets or the older aged people.Barret Jackson is real,if you had a nice car to sell there you wouldnt complain,they bring the absolute top dollar there for sure.The gasoline hobby will never die and the prices will never drop,maybe on certain pieces when they keep reproing them but prices will generally increase every year with the demand being there.Im not rich but work my can off to get what I want.I guess what is to be said here is no matter what age you are,if you cant run with the big dogs,stay on the porch and watch.I dont like high prices either but I dont give any of my stuff away!

------------------

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved