Next Thread
Print Thread
#38168 Sun Jan 21 2007 06:47 AM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
I did a search and was surprised I did not find a discussion on this. I am restoring a Tok 300 and recently ordered a 13 1/2" globe for it because a member here mentioned the great prices on Automobilia. I jumped on it, eager to get a good deal and buy my first part for my pump.
Since then I have noticed some sites offer different sized globes so am wondering if there is a "proper" size globe depending on the pump and era. I also discovered that I probably ordered the wrong logo. Im doing the pump in Texaco Fire Chief and ordered the globe with the helmet on it. I just stumbled across an old post that said that globe is a fantasy piece and that the Fire Chief emblem with the helmet on it only goes on the decal and the globe should be the star in red and green.
Based on what Ive learned so far, most will say go with whatever you like, its your pump, but I am curious what everyone thinks.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#38169 Sun Jan 21 2007 07:03 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
First off...13.5" globes are kosher for your Tokheim 300. Now, yes, if you were going to be ultra-correct, you would need a plain Texaco star globe to go on your pump. But, like you discovered, it's really up to the end-user to which globe goes on the pump.

Seth www.vics66.com

#38170 Sun Jan 21 2007 08:14 AM
Hi John,
That helmet Fire Chief globe is a fantasy piece that never existed back in the old days. The globe Seth mentioned would be the correct one, but we see lots of collectors go with the Fire Chief globe because they like the look. If you like it, go with it.

In vintage photos we see many Tokheim 300 gas pumps with no globe at all. But most of us like the look of a globe on top of nearly every pump. Most gas pumps back in the old days were repainted with a brush or a quick spray job. Most of us like glossy clearcoated restorations that rival custom cars.

If it were all about history, it would be different. But we're mostly about enjoyment, so we take some liberties with historic perfection.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#38171 Sun Jan 21 2007 08:39 AM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Thanks guys, just as I thought.
Actually, I think I would like the plain star globe better. Maybe Ill just have to find another pump to go with the Fire Chief globe!
When I first joined I assumed I should restore the pump back to what it looked like originally. I have since learned that the pump could have been any number of brands and colors. So taking the advice of the members here, I showed some pics of restored pumps posted on here and let my wife and kids pick out what they liked. They went with Fire Chief and are now interested in the project! Good advice.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
#38172 Sun Jan 21 2007 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In this months PCM [pg 9], there is a old photo of a TOK. 850 with the 3pcs. glass TEXACO Helmet FIRE-CHIEF globe. Scott Benjamin also states that they are only found in old photos.
db

#38173 Sun Jan 21 2007 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There was actually a Fire Chief globe with the helmet pictured. It is very different than the repro/fantasy globes you see on the market. One turned up a year or two ago and quietly found its way into a private collection. I believe there was another one already known but I haven't seen it. To say they are rare would be an understatement.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#38174 Sun Jan 21 2007 11:49 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Dick beat me to this one.Its in this months mag. about the globe.Few known to exist?

------------------

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved