Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3810 Tue Oct 24 2006 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think that the issue here might be getting a little bit sidetracked.... JJ's post was

"This is my opinion here but I think to help get younger guys in the hobby people 30 and younger should get in the gas shows for free. I read where an Antique market in Nashville is going to try to get the next generation involved."

So, I think that Its the "next generation" thats the issue here, not auctions and entry fees....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#3811 Tue Oct 24 2006 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I've always been into Muscle cars first,and just recently I've flourished over into Gas & Oil collecting.
10 years ago,my 8 year old nephew saw my restored Chevelle,and didn't really appreciate it.He is now 18 and is attending antique carshows much more frequently w/me looking to buy one possibly.
I opened the Garage the other day and he saw my Sunoco Wayne 511 blender again and asked what it was.I told him and said "Don't you remember this when I showed it to you years ago?"...he said,"Not at all,..Did they used to pump gas from this?..tell me more about it."
Being new to this hobby,I basically told him what lil I have learned so far,as well as let him look at Jacks Gas pump book,and others.
He was astonished.He couldn't believe there was an age when there wasn't computer LED readout gas pumps.not to mention air was FREE and someone cleaned your windshield for you in a uniform while smiling.
I told him it is evolution at it's finest and that he should go further back in the books to see the clock face plate pumps & gravity pumps before that.
He has since taken all my books Home with him to read,and calls me weekly to ask questions that I don't have the answers to.
He is really interested and I told him to come along with me to Peotone to see some of these in person.
I hope he follows me this weekend.

------------------
"It's A Gas!"

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
#3812 Tue Oct 24 2006 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
coldpizza,
Get your son signed on. MOST of the information on here needs to be passed on to the YOUNGER GENERATION, BEFORE it gets forgotten by US OLDGEEZERS !
db

#3813 Tue Oct 24 2006 06:11 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I agree with Ihavegas because I'm 16 and this stuff is expensive. You all go out and buy a $375 pump like I just bought and think its nothing when I'm thinking that aint cheap at all. Only if that Bennett 766 for $375 was a Wayne 60. But most kids at school when I'm checking my ebay in class think its stupid so It's something you have to be raised into in my opionion. But then they dont have good taste. Make sure to bid on my ebay auctions I have listed to help a 16 year old out.Item numbers 300041504179 and 300041804386. And I dont kno if it counts or not Kim but I go 200 miles for Hershey every year and miss school 3 days. Which I am also a buyer so looks like you know a young buyer/seller now.
Robert

[This message has been edited by MrMoneyClips (edited 10-24-2006).]

#3814 Tue Oct 24 2006 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Robert,

Keep looking - go out for a drive this summer down every dusty gravel country roads and look up by the farm homes "over by the big round drum gas tanks" for old pumps. If you see a pump - or something that looks like a pump stop in and talk to them. You WILL find those wayne 60's for 150.00 bucks! It is REAL EASY and you will be supprised what you will find.

You might go 400 miles before you find a pump - but once you find one pump you will find about 60 around that spot. I usually go 2 days with NO finds, and then find 20-30 on the 3rd day.

Being a young guy like you the farmers will jump at the thought that you want an old pump. DO NOT CALL IT AN ANTIQUE - do not talk about ebay, do not talk about lots of money, do not talk about the internet, do not talk about seeing them restored, do not talk about antique stores, and do not talk about how much it is worth. Let them decide how much it is worth, most of the time they will ask you how much it is worth - tell them "I have no clue, I am not rich and I do not have that much money, I just want an old gas pump to put in my bedroom. I supose I could give you a hundered bucks? Would that work for you? If they laugh and say no, then say "well tell me what you want for it?" Just call it an "old gas pump". "Hi, my name is SOANDSO - and I am woundering if you guys would be interested in selling your old gas pump?" Just tell them you are looking for an old pump to restore and you do not know if there are any parts out there for it, but you will do the best you can.

FORGET ebay and find them on your own. That is where the guys on ebay are getting them. Do not mess with auctions or shows either, they want to much $$$ for the pumps they are getting with the method I talk about above.

Only look on the gravel roads, drive for 10 miles on way, then turn right, go 1 mile over to the next road, and turn back for 10 miles, and then turn left, and go 1 mile, and then turn back and go 10 miles the other way, "maping the route" up and down the gravel roads. If you have no luck on that side of the country town, go to the other side of the town you live in and do it again.

You will find those pumps for 100 bucks I promise!

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

[This message has been edited by travis_towle (edited 10-24-2006).]

#3815 Tue Oct 24 2006 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Robert,

ONE MORE thing, do not drive your car up there looking like a gang banger... you know with the droopy pants, ball hats, and "thugware". DO NOT drive a car with tented "gangsta" windows, or pull in there driveway with "boom boom boom mother fer mother fer" ratteling their home. Go alone - not with anyone else - people get nervous with lots of people snooping around there home/farm.

Just ware some blue jeans, and a plain short sleeve shirt with NO writing on it. Something like a black NIKE shirt is best. No ball caps, no cell phone, clean shaven, and clean looking, just look like an every day nice city boy. You do not need to have CASH on you as long as you know how to get back to them. Pull in the driveway, and HONK - do not wait, just slowly shut your door, slowly walk up to there door and knock on it - do not try to "hide" you want people to know you WANT them to know you are there... and you are not trying to sneek around and steal something...

Take your gas pump ID book with you, and keep it under your car seat. Maybe have 15 business cards with your name & nubmer on them saying "looking for old gas pumps" under your name and number. Have your mailing address on the card too. If they are not home or no one answers the door, then leave the card on there door with hand writeing on the back saying "please call me about your gas pump"... If they do not call you then go back next week or on the weekend. It seems once you find a pump 10 others find it that same week. I only get 1 phone call back for every 40 cards I leave. But when I do the returns I usually come home with 30 of those 40 pumps I found. And the best part is the guys I buy the pumps from usually know where there are more pumps in the area...

If you get pulled over by the sherif show tell them what you are doing, and show them your book and cards. This will help you explain to the sherif if you happen to get pulled over for spooking the neighborhood. I have never had the sherif called on me, but I always wounder?

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

[This message has been edited by travis_towle (edited 10-24-2006).]

#3816 Wed Oct 25 2006 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF, they say it ain't for sale, DON'T OFFER THEM $125,000.00 ! LOL
db

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 10-25-2006).]

#3817 Wed Oct 25 2006 04:54 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
DB if i had that much money I'd be rollin in the gas pumps. lol to bad i dont have that much and the username MrMoneyClips is a money clip holding less then $40 in my bank account right now till i sell my signs on ebay. lol But thanks Travis that's by far the best advice I've gotten so far about getting gas pumps at good deals.

[This message has been edited by MrMoneyClips (edited 10-25-2006).]

#3818 Wed Oct 25 2006 05:14 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
read travis's post.... just be fair... don't take advantage of the farmer that perhaps can lead you to better finds... YOU know what this crapola is worth. why beat him up. how would YOU feel. oh... you say.. thats business... hope you sleep good.

#3819 Thu Oct 26 2006 08:55 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I am reading this and some of the stuff amazes me.Off the original question,EVERYTHING in our future depends on the younger people,heres your sign! I go to alot of car shows and most of the people there are younger guys,my first car was a 68 big block camaro,not vietnam vets or the older aged people.Barret Jackson is real,if you had a nice car to sell there you wouldnt complain,they bring the absolute top dollar there for sure.The gasoline hobby will never die and the prices will never drop,maybe on certain pieces when they keep reproing them but prices will generally increase every year with the demand being there.Im not rich but work my can off to get what I want.I guess what is to be said here is no matter what age you are,if you cant run with the big dogs,stay on the porch and watch.I dont like high prices either but I dont give any of my stuff away!

------------------

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved