Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thunder II #382543 Tue Jan 01 2013 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For db and myself to be mentioned as Moderators.... Either the "Sky is falling" or April Fools Day has come early... LOL

I will tell "New" and Experienced Collectors alike... If I can help one, I will help... I know that as "crabby" as db is.. he will do the same... (if bridges haven't already been burned)

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #382555 Tue Jan 01 2013 10:55 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I enjoy Ryans humor, but if Oldgas needs anymore mods, I would also like to Nominate either Bob Richards or Dick Bennet for extra moderator postitions....... Although, I really see no reason for mods at all. Maybe it's my farmer mentallity, if the well goes dry dig another one , if the power goes out start the generator and don't call the police, handle it yourself. If you've been on here for a few months(or years) and you run to the mods like a 5yr old to a teacher it's not the forum's fault, it's YOU. Never talked to any of the mods ,but I'm sure they have better things to do than wait for your complaints to come in. "Man up in 2013" is right ! Man up and stop being babies. If somebody is being "mean to you" well you probably had it coming. Just think of it as Tough Love. Get up dust yourself off and try not to mess up again. I would like to see nothing deleted or locked, because the only policing this site needs are the few members that have the guts to call B.S. when they see it. If this site turns all politically correct then it will be as USELESS as the feedback rating on eBay where I hear you can't even leave -negative feedback, anymore. Is that what you want this site to be just happy fluffy positive comments ,only. Maybe we should have the site biangular and in Spanish or French,also. But, is that what made America great ??? Ask your grandfathers that won WW2 about political correctness and fairness. Or ask the veterans of Nam about the rules of engagement. UTOPIA's don't work.

I probably won't win a congeniality award, tonight and some people probably dislike me , but after over 200 posts and 10 months on Oldgas I have had 0% drama/trouble (but maybe not after this post)..... Although, I'm not trying to be on a soap box, here are 4 little things you can do to stay trouble free on this site.

1. never post a question if you can find it on Google,book,library, or visiting with someone local. (were not your secretary)

2. only ask a simple question and not often, (information isn't free, u won't expect to talk to a lawyer for 20+ minutes for free)

3. don't ask the value of something just to flip it 5min later (were not here to help u make money, u havn't employed us )

4. don't be like Amer. Pickers their NOT cool, their paracites that prey on people

Happy New Years and Man up in 2013

dalin #382590 Wed Jan 02 2013 06:57 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
DITTO--Thank you Roger wink

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Thunder II #382610 Wed Jan 02 2013 08:28 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Thunder II
Originally Posted By: azjockey

JIM if your listening (reading) I would like to nominate 2 nominee's For silent moderators .
Dick Bennett
Bob Richards

I SECOND THAT!!!

I would have to third that!

Jay Leeper
dalin #382628 Wed Jan 02 2013 09:44 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Disclaimer: These are my thoughts, yours may vary by your own experience.

In answer to Dalin's four ways to remain out of trouble.

Man up in your posts...

1. If you can't find it online after searching for hours, don't have access to a library of books that only collectors would have, and don't have a knowledgeable local contact please post your question in a thoughtful manner. No member has been tasked to take on the responsibility to answer your questions so be patient.

2. If you have multiple questions on multiple items, use discretion, cultivate a relationship with members who may be willing to mentor you and help you understand the amazing variety of petrol and advertising related items that can be collected and what their values may be. Again, no member has been tasked to answer your questions or buy an item you are selling so be patient.

3. If you plan to sell the item your asking about, be upfront about it in your post. If you plan to flip the item quickly remember the people you are asking are potential buyers, give them a reasonable opportunity to buy the item because they are helping you. Remember, no member has been tasked to answer your questions or buy an item you are selling so be patient.

4. If you are a TV celebrity, offer autographs. If on the other hand you make your living buying and selling hard to find, scarce, and otherwise difficult items that don't turn up at the local Walmart, remember this site is not eBay. Respect the collectors and build a relationship where both you and they can benefit from this site and your ability to procure items they may be interested in purchasing. Remember, no member has been tasked to answer your questions or buy what you are selling so be patient.

Finally, I'd like to say, No Member has been tasked to answer this post. Just like any other post that someone puts up on the forum, it doesn't have to be responded to and if a person wishes to "Man Up" sometimes it's better not to respond if that response's intention is to be critical or harsh or otherwise unhelpful. On the other hand, if a person has constructive observations, that is also a way to "Man Up" and be willing to pitch in when help is requested.

Again, these are my thoughts your mileage may vary.

Originally Posted By: dalin

1. never post a question if you can find it on Google,book,library, or visiting with someone local. (were not your secretary)

2. only ask a simple question and not often, (information isn't free, u won't expect to talk to a lawyer for 20+ minutes for free)

3. don't ask the value of something just to flip it 5min later (were not here to help u make money, u havn't employed us )

4. don't be like Amer. Pickers their NOT cool, their paracites that prey on people

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
carolinaskies #382654 Wed Jan 02 2013 11:12 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Didn't want to add to this, but I am.

Jim: Thank you for a great website. If you ever find a way to keep people from disagreeing, arguing or giving an opinion that some may disagree with, stop wasting your time on a hobby website. You need to go straight to the UN or some higher source and spread your wisdom.

Mods: You're doing a fine job. I feel that by suggesting NEW mods means that you are not doing a good job. I've had some of my comments removed, I thought you should have removed other's comments, but again, we can't all have the same opinions.

Thin skinned people: ANY website is not for you. There is always going to be "keyboard courage", (people saying [writing] things that they probably wouldn't have the guts to say to your face). I will admit sometimes they go over the line with personal insults and are sometimes relentless and unable to drop an issue or resolving it privately, but it is what it is and I think the mods squash it without pushing around their authority. I've met a few of the crass individuals on this site who's remarks even tick me off, but ya know what, I know most of them have no problem saying the same face to face. For that I give them props.

OP: Thanks for the post, but lots of personalities, lots of agendas, lots of bad blood, lots of keyboard courage and lots of opinions make it difficult impossible to hug and sing Kumbaya. I will agree that some posts should be looked at and reconsidered prior to posting. I think that's what you might be saying.

Me: I like the personalities, I don't necessarily like everybody on here (although they would never know it), I like the train wrecks, I like the opinions of pickers, collectors, manufacturers, newbies and old timers and I'll admit I sometimes get a kick out of the pot stirrers and the mayhem that follows.

Happy New Years everyone.

Last edited by bppierce; Wed Jan 02 2013 02:29 PM.
bppierce #382664 Wed Jan 02 2013 11:54 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Carolinaskies
Thank you for SUGAR coating my words, I'm not being snide, sometimes my words are a bit Salty, but hopefully digestible.

dalin #382678 Wed Jan 02 2013 01:00 PM
Roger, Paul and Mark,
Thanks for your recent posts. I enjoy thoughtful, constructive comments no matter whether I agree with all of it or not. Good points made. Whenever I get around to redoing the Membership Agreement, I'd like to include some of those down to earth guidelines.

Man Up in 2013!

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #382698 Wed Jan 02 2013 02:05 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Jim, you're more than welcome to use any of my suggestions.

I enjoy Oldgas as the variety of information available if one takes the time to look through and search the forums is a treasure trove. Perhaps not complete, but definitely worth diving into as time and interest permits.

I look forward to a great 2013... and maybe getting permission back on the Value Forum.. hint hint.. smile

PT

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
carolinaskies #382755 Wed Jan 02 2013 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry, not planning to man up. I like being who I am... grin

I could blame some of the fighting on that ol' testostorone, but I think it's several very small issues that need to be recognized to "Grow up in 2013" and those are:

1. Most newbies make mistakes (I had someone grump at me in the beginning, I just took a deep breath and realized, this is their playground, and I just gotta learn the rules) but the ones who enjoy this website or realize what an asset it is to their collecting/selling/whatever, learn quick and fit in. So lighten up on both sides of newbie/veteran issue. We all step in poo once in a while.

2. Don't be a 'right' fighter. You can make a passionate point, but if someone disagrees, don't take it personally and beat the subject to the ground. A well thought out post does not need to be defended. An error in a post should be recognized and stated in just a few words. Going on and on will just rub potential buyers, fellow collectors etc. the wrong way. So recognize that someone on the list disagrees and agree to disagree.

3. Don't feed the troll. Whether it's an individual or a discussion that has headed south, the best way to stop it is don't feed it.

IMHO

Last edited by Nicole; Wed Jan 02 2013 04:24 PM.
Nicole #382763 Wed Jan 02 2013 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Nicole
Sorry, not planning to man up. I like being who I am... grin

I could blame some of the fighting on that ol' testostorone, but I think it's several very small issues that need to be recognized to "Grow up in 2013" and those are:

1. Most newbies make mistakes (I had someone grump at me in the beginning, I just took a deep breath and realized, this is their playground, and I just gotta learn the rules) but the ones who enjoy this website or realize what an asset it is to their collecting/selling/whatever, learn quick and fit in. So lighten up on both sides of newbie/veteran issue. We all step in poo once in a while.

2. Don't be a 'right' fighter. You can make a passionate point, but if someone disagrees, don't take it personally and beat the subject to the ground. A well thought out post does not need to be defended. An error in a post should be recognized and stated in just a few words. Going on and on will just rub potential buyers, fellow collectors etc. the wrong way. So recognize that someone on the list disagrees and agree to disagree.

3. Don't feed the troll. Whether it's an individual or a discussion that has headed south, the best way to stop it is don't feed it.

IMHO

cool

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #382922 Thu Jan 03 2013 07:43 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Iv'e been practicing self moderation lately. This hobby is evolving fast. hang on it's gonna be a bumpy ride. there's room for all of us. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;Ron Lease - Collector.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved