Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#384443 Tue Jan 08 2013 02:11 PM
Z
zane-z Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I suppose I should first introduce myself. I'm new to the Vintage Gas Pump world but ready to dive into the fun. I recently was given a Erie Model 843 pump w/ serial number T D55453 from my father as a gift for my 40th birthday. I know nothing about it other than I have had little luck finding any detailed information about it in my first week of "Google" research.

I plan to restore it to its old glory, but would like to learn more about it before digging in. The pump is in fairly good shape and looks to be mostly in tact with the exception of main glass, ad glass and the hose that attaches to the pump handle. All the guts are still in the shell, but considering removing all of that during the restoration.

Any guidance on how to open the thing up would be helpful. I don't want to start pushing and pulling on the thing when there might be some secrete way to open them up. I have seen places that say they sell Ad Glass for them, but i'm assuming I will need to have them cut to fit the rounded corners of my unit. Anyone know if the main glass is available or should I just make a good template and have them cut as well?

I'm basically looking for any direction to point me in or personal experience/knowledge on the Erie 843 you guys are willing to pass on to a new guy getting into this hobby.

Best,

Zane

Erie 843.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
zane-z #384445 Tue Jan 08 2013 02:15 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome to old gas

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If your pump is like my erie 743 I think I have the doors should just lift up and come off. There are points on the base of the pump the door slips onto. try giving it an upward wack with the palms of your hands in the ad glass window..

Here is a pic of mine so they are similar:

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those are cool pumps, I like the look of both of them!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
zane-z, once you get the doors off, TAKE LOTS of pictures & Burn to a CD. What might seem simple to remember might not if you get distracted by another project. Put ALL parts in baggies/boxes & Label what they are for. I suggest you trial fit all panels Before Finial Paint.
GOOD LUCK & ASK Questions when you get Stumped.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm sure you already figured the doors out. I took a couple pics of how my doors go on. Doors lift straight up off.

pump 002.JPG
pins on base

pump 004.JPG
holes for pins bottom of doors

pump 005.JPG
reciever on door top

pump 006.JPG
door reciever top of pump

Got Socony???

Tom
Z
zane-z Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your quick replies! I was able to simply lift one of the front doors off the pump with ease, thank you!!

I have already started taking tons of pictures but always good advice to have more than you need. I think my first plan of attack is going to be documenting everything as it is now as recommended and then start getting all the panels ready to strip.

Do most of you guys Soda Blast your metal work or do you sand down? I'm not a fan of sanding down with the prospect of lead paint and having 3 little kids around the house.

Zane

Last edited by zane-z; Tue Jan 08 2013 06:51 PM.
zane-z #384516 Tue Jan 08 2013 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Soda Blasting will NOT Remove RUST & if too much Pressure is used w/ Sand Blasting you CAN warp the panels. I never use more than 120# & 30 grit Silica or play sand.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Your pump is shown on page 146 of my Gas Pump Identification book, it was introduced in 1957.

I believe I have sales literature and a parts manual for this pump.

www.petrocollect.com

Jack Sim
jhsim@petrocollect.com

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Jan 08 2013 10:09 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved