Next Thread
Print Thread
#38517 Thu Jan 25 2001 11:16 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I believe this is the right forum for this question given what I've read so far. I restored a Mae West but remain vexed buy what appears to be vacant sign attachement holes... four each side of the body at the waist line, one at 12 o'clock, 3, 6, and nine o'clock, in a 7-7/8" diameter. They were threaded, #6-32 ish holes, and the rust texture was mostly absent in a circular pattern indicating the attachment of a round sign. I've been told these pumps didnt have signs, at least other than distinctly shaped Fry Gaurantee signs, so I just filled them with brass screws. Did some fuel dealer just defame this pump in the name of commerce, or were round (8" ish) signs commonplace? What would you guys do... fill the holes, leave the brass screws, juryrig a sign, or just leave it to personal taste? Thanks in advance for any and all replies. BH

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#38518 Thu Jan 25 2001 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a Texaco 8in por. sign with a slight curve. The Mae West is the only pump that I have that this sign fits [about 8 1/2 in below the long door].

#38519 Fri Jan 26 2001 09:10 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
I bought a Mae West years ago and it had curved Texaco signs mounted in this location. Only Mae West I ever found with any signage.

#38520 Tue Jan 30 2001 12:39 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Thanks for the reply you guys... I've refurb'd the pump in Sinclair colors, so maybe I'll just keep the brass screws. I'll also keep my eye open for a bent/curved sinclair sign, though maybe Texaco was the only brand to "authorize" the non-standard mounting of signs. Bending a porcelain sign to the degree necessary to meet the waistline contour would likely flake the porcelain, so the Texaco signs you mention must have been pre-formed? Any other input is welcomed, and thanks.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved