Next Thread
Print Thread
#38776 Tue Aug 24 2004 04:29 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Jim, I got your spears today and they look great. What is the best way you recomend to attach them to the pump. I thought the rest of the guys would want to know what you think too. Thanks Craig

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#38777 Tue Aug 24 2004 05:54 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I got mine today also, I'm going to do mine like the original ones. three flat head machine screws on each one, about 1" long 8/32, a flat washer and nut. from the top down about 1 1/2 " in the middle and about 1 3/4" from the bottom on the highest rib. with silicone at those spots a big dot, push the flat head screw down into it and let it cure , do the same on the other, once they are good and solid, center on the door, and about a 1/2" from the bottom mark the end of the screw on the door, drill about a 1/4" hole at all three locations with news paper under the area so not to get metal shavings all over. then put into place, add the flat washer ,the nut and tighten but not to tight. just me. Helping the Hobby,

or you can use double tape, or gum, ha ha .

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.

www.vintage-logos.com

#38778 Tue Aug 24 2004 06:39 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Hey Dwaine, if you use gum, do you go with Bazooka or Double Bubble???? See you at Fred's!!! (Only 58 days!!!)

#38779 Tue Aug 24 2004 06:54 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hey Tom, I like Bazooka Joe, ha ha. Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bed post over night.

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.

www.vintage-logos.com

#38780 Tue Aug 24 2004 08:47 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Naw, I throw it over the fence into the dirt in the neighbor's yard. That way their dog gets to enjoy it too!!!

#38781 Wed Aug 25 2004 04:22 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Hey Dwaine; That was done by "Lonnie Donnigan" I Think............

------------------
Regards ....
Jerry J .....

Regards ....
Jerry J .....
#38782 Wed Aug 25 2004 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Craig:

Thanks for the compliment and the question.

Dwaine is going for a more authentic method of attachment. You can follow his lead and silicone some flat-head machine screws in place or you can use a two-part epoxy on the screws/bolts (which might be a little bit stronger).

The Spears themselves were specifically designed without the original studs so anyone could add them to an A-38 (or any other pump for that matter). That way, if you had a pump that did not come with the Spears - or you had filled the holes when you re-did your pump - you could still add them.

Personally, I would use a strip of double-stick FOAM tape. The kind you would use to attach body-side molding to a car. Not the kind you would use to attach a photo to a piece of paper.

Cut a piece of tape from the roll about 3" longer than the Spear is tall. Carefully cut the foam portion (not the backing strip) about 3.5" from one edge and remove this portion of the foam. Attach the foam tape firmly down the center (on the back) of the Spear(s) and set them aside.

Moving to the pump doors, use a Stabilo to mark the centerline of the door and draw a line up from the bottom a bit taller than the Spear. Position the Spear centered left-to-right on the centerline and almost flush with the bottom of the door. Make sure to have the 'extra' backing tape folded over at a 90-degree angle (so it points to the left or the right - folded 'away' from you).

While holding the Spear fairly firmly so it does not change position, slowly pull the backing tape off the remainder of the foam. As you remove the backing tape, press on the center of the Spear to set the adhesive. When the backing tape is fully released, go back over the Spear and firmly press the center to fully adhere the foam's adhesive.

That's it.

If, for whatever reason, you need to remove the Spear(s) at a later date. Simply pull a thin piece of 'mechanics' wire through the foam and the Spear will release. Then all you have to do is 'roll' the remaining foam off of the door and clean up any residual adhesive with a little 'Prep-Sol'.

This is the method that I use for any type of trim that attaches with the foam tape. It works, and it's not tricky to do.

Hope this helps.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
http://www.vintage-logos.com

#38783 Wed Aug 25 2004 11:08 AM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks guys for the input. I think I will go with the adhesive tape and not drill the door. If the pump wasn't already restored, I would go with Dwaine idea and predrill the holes before paint.

Craig

Craig

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved