Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#38866 Thu Jun 16 2005 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Wow, I have been sitting here wacthing via the net the Burch auction with Aumann Auctions as i am sure alot of you had. Did anyone actually go? Too far for me.

$26000 for one globe!! I do have to say it was an awesome piece, but wow. Is that some kind of record? Does anyone have any idea what the record for a globe is? Just curious. Rare + Condition = Big Bucks!

Some stuff I thought was resonable. I like the way they have it set up. Opens it up for alot more bidders and lets everyone see what is going on up to minute.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has dealt with Aumann. They look very reputable and auction some nice stuff.

Thanks.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#38867 Thu Jun 16 2005 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had my first experience with Aumann when I went to Peotone IL for the moderators conference. I had a blast ..met alot of people I already loved and the auction was super fun. Indeed some things went for way over my meager budget would allow but I was able to score something for my collection that day at a reasonable price IMO. They run a professional, entertaining and fun auction for sure.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#38868 Thu Jun 16 2005 07:23 PM
Online Cool
I was at that same Peotone auction with Hubba. That was the first time got a chance to closely watch Aumann handle live, Internet and telephone bidding. I think they did a fine job with all the complications while being very clear where the bids were coming from and what the bids were in a timely manner. I thought that all the different inputs would slow things down, but I don't think that was the case at all.
My impression as a live and Internet bidder is that Aumann's run a clean auction. I saw no "funny" business that I have seen at times with other auction houses.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#38869 Thu Jun 16 2005 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did anyone get a picture of THE GLOBE for posting ?
db

#38870 Thu Jun 16 2005 07:50 PM
F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
We Wanna See the $26,000 Globe...
Anyone got a picture???
Thanks,

------------------
Frank

Frank
#38871 Thu Jun 16 2005 07:56 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
THE GLOBE was an early Texaco chimney cap, $26,000 plus the 10% penalty amounts to $28,600. I believe the previous record was about $22,000 for a Gilmore globe from the GPM auction.

The Texaco was followed by a Musgo globe which hammered down at $22,000 plus penalty.

Ay Carumba!

#38872 Thu Jun 16 2005 08:00 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
My brain is not working and I thought the auction was tomorrow night. Wow that is incredible the Musgo and chimney cap texaco globes. Some heavy hitters stepped up for those two.

Scott

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
#38873 Fri Jun 17 2005 05:12 AM
Online Cool
The auction results are available at: http://www.proxibid.com/csi/Catalog.asp?aid=2174

Take a little time to browse through the pictures and bid prices. Auctions often see some items go cheap and some bid way high, but you can't deny that these were real purchases by real people. The $26K Texaco globe is on the second page.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 06-17-2005).]

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#38874 Fri Jun 17 2005 09:44 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I'm always amazed at the huge disconnect between live auction prices and real world prices!! Seems like the really deep pockets show up for these events and egos become a big factor in the auction results. Granted, a few of these are one of a kind items but some of the more common signs and globes sold for double or triple my guess of "market" value (whatever than is!!). Can you imagine trying to get these kind of prices on eBay??!!

FYI - I like to print out the auction results for future reference. However, if you intend to print the results keep in mind that in previous Aumann auctions the photos disappeared after a couple of days. Then, you have to click them each individually to view the image.

Anybody tally up the total take for the auction??

Cheers!!

Paul

[This message has been edited by Pablo (edited 06-17-2005).]

#38875 Fri Jun 17 2005 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
here's a $26000 Globe......

and for those of us on a budget a bargain at $22000

Got Socony???

Tom
#38876 Fri Jun 17 2005 10:59 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I'm no globe expert but can anybody explain why that Texaco chimney top globe has a white outlined 'T' rather than a black outlined 'T'. The white 'T' didn't come into use until the early to mid 1940's (depending on marketing region). So, isn't this supposed to be an early globe??

Paul

#38877 Fri Jun 17 2005 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just go back from Columbus and the room was buzzing after those two globes sold back to back. That was fun. I am just glad I wasn't the one paying. Pictures to post later because the 11 hour drive just beat me down today.

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED: Quart Picture Cans
Kansas City, Missouri 64152

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#38878 Fri Jun 17 2005 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
These are just awesome pieces that you never really see. And the condition looks nice.

There are some things that you just don't really see on ebay these days. I have seen some really rare porcelain signs recently on ebay bring big bucks. My personal feeling is that alot of the really good stuff (top of the line) is getting bought up and if something does hit the market like these two globes, then if someone wants them they better step up to the plate, so to speak.

My father in law just bought a awesome Coke Ideal Slider Vending machine from the 50's, completely original with original decals. He had to "step up to the plate" to get that, but you just hardly ever see them anymore in that condition.

If there is one thing I have found, and I know you all know, condition means everything. Add rarity into the mix and look out. Same in whatever you collect.

Just my two cents worth. This website is alot of fun, and very informative.

PS for those of you who may remember a past post I found what I was looking for for my 1959 Fairlane Convertible.

Thansk for all your help.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

#38879 Fri Jun 17 2005 07:29 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I ALSO AGREE ON THE WHITE --T-- SUBJECT.. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?? AND HOLY COW,, WHY WOULD YOU PAY THAT FOR A TEXACO, WHEN GILMORE IS SO MUCH COOLER?? THE MUSGO GLOBE IS WAY NICE.. BUT WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON HERE??

#38880 Sat Jun 18 2005 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jarvis and I had a chance to talk to one the the big collectors Thursday night. He was amazed about where prices are headed. This gentleman thinks we'll see many more globes sell in the $20K-25K range in the very near future. He's also into cars and used what has happened in that hobby as an example of why the great globes will continue escalate in price. I'm inclined to agree. Prices on the entry level to mid range globes seem to be stable, while the better stuff is skyrocketing in value.
Everyone knew the Texaco chimney cap would go high, but there were some very nice Texaco 3 piece globes that sold in the $350 range. The hammer price on the Musgo raised a few eyebrows. Those have been selling at 10K+ for awhile, but nowhere near $22+BP. The one that really shocked me was the Johnson Time Tells. Two single lenses on seperate bodies sold by choice. High bidder took both at 7K each (+BP). That's about double what they've been trading for.

There were some bargains. How about a Gargoyle Mobilioil cabinet for $250? It was in great shape.

The Aumann bunch are a great group of guys. They are to petro collecibles what Barrett-Jackson is to collector cars. Even though they bring in record prices, they're very down to earth people. Kurt Aumann was shocked that a bottle of water cost $3.03 at the hotel. With JJ's prompting I told him the 3 cents was the buyers premium. LOL

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved