Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#388727 Fri Jan 25 2013 07:12 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
I recently got to spend time in almost every state across the middle of the country within a matter of two months. From The Jersey shore to California I traveled in my truck and got to enjoy seeing all the Sinclair, Gulf, Texaco and other gas stations. I stopped in many of them and looked at the new advertising items they use and wondered if anyone collects new gas.

Share your thoughts??

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
DaveWilliams #388745 Fri Jan 25 2013 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't collect new gas stuff. You won't see a plastic oil bottle on my shelf.
Leave that for my kids to do one day.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
mcguffeyd1 #388816 Fri Jan 25 2013 01:06 PM
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Makes you wonder what people thought about the stuff 50 or 60 years ago when all the stuff we collect today was "new stuff" to them.....?

I don't collect anything "new" as it plastic stuff without any quality to it.

Mac

Mac #388878 Fri Jan 25 2013 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
To me,collecting a brand and seeing how it's evolved over the years is part of it's heritage & allure.
I don't really draw a line of what material it's made of,be it metal or plastic.
But if I had to,I'd actually respect a clean mint piece of plastic advertising more then the metal,as the plastic was easily cracked,faded & then discarded.
You can go to the bottom of the ocean today and pee in a porcelain toilet on the titanic...It's almost bullet proof.

Cold Pizza #388882 Fri Jan 25 2013 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Happens in every hobby. As collectors grow older sometimes the new collectors would rather collect what they remember from their childhood.

Gas and Oil does span across the generations so it won't feel the sting some other collecting areas have felt. Look at Hop A Long Cassidy. Not alot of kids today even know who he was, and the people that collected it are leaving us. That stuff brings a fraction of what it used to. Not saying gas and oil stuff will experience that drastic of a drop off, but it's just an example.

Also happening in the toy hobby. New collectors sometimes can't afford the older maybe higher end pieces so they collect the somewhat newer stuff.

I am seeing more and more composite/cardboard oil cans being collected. Just my two sense.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

59fairlane #388889 Fri Jan 25 2013 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As a fleet owner, I buy cases of whatever, Motoroil, Hydraulic oil, grease, ect. If for some silly reason one gets shoved off to the side, in a short amount of time, you will find a difference in the lable.

Keystone Beer had a little comment, on their cans for a while. they too, changed every so often.

It makes a person wonder if they should date something when they buy it.

Yes, the things that we throw away today as useless, may someday be equivalent to a $1500.00 Powerlube or Frontier oil can...

It certainly makes one think...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Thunder II #388893 Fri Jan 25 2013 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FINDING a FULL CAN of BEER at Thunder's is RARE!

Dick Bennett #388902 Fri Jan 25 2013 08:38 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Still chunking two cases of harley oil a year. been doing it for 40 years. Yes I wish I had the funds that the metal cans would bring today. O-well.

The plastic quarts gets me about as excited as the good ones did back then,so they hit the trash.

Gas stations -nothing left here but BP,SHELL is staging a come back, and some pure stations in small towns,and Exxon .

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #388919 Fri Jan 25 2013 09:40 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
One thing you find out traveling the country is that none of the larger old gas station names really ever went entirely out of business (with a few obvious exceptions) like most large companies they've just localized and re-organized.

i'll admit that I thought Sinclair was entirely defunct before this trip.. never had a clue

DaveWilliams #388929 Fri Jan 25 2013 11:52 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Dave,

Or anyone who can do what he did, drive from Jersey around the country. In this case, from Columbis, MO, east to the coast, down to the south and around the country back to Columbia.

This was done in the late 70s by Least Heat-Moon and he wrote one of the greatest books I have ever read, titled "Blue Highways." Notice, "Blue," no Interstate Highways.

Not about gas pumps, not about petroliana, but about a term that is being beaten to death on TV "back in the day."

This book will take you back and make you wish you either were there, or are still there.

Mark my word, well worth the money, read the reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Highways-Journey-into-America/dp/0316353299

Jack Sim
jhsim@petrocollect.com

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Jan 26 2013 12:26 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #388936 Sat Jan 26 2013 05:50 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
I read that book back in the day when it was new. Great literature, and part of what draws all of us to the nostalgic feeling we can get from collecting big parts of America's "good ole days" history.

My trip wasn't (and couldn't be) anything like that, but I had a good time.

DaveWilliams #389229 Sun Jan 27 2013 06:36 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I save the newer things to some degree.

Marahon/Ashland stuff has little resale value. It is too common and too new, but in time I think it begin to go up in value. Maybe not in my lifetime.

Historically, Oil Compnay items with multiple branding were short lived and those items fetch a higher value.
So I put that stuff away for my grandchildren.

Keep thinking I wish My Grandather had saved that old oil stuff he tossed 75 year ago.

Cuck

59fairlane #389309 Sun Jan 27 2013 10:37 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: 59fairlane
Happens in every hobby. As collectors grow older sometimes the new collectors would rather collect what they remember from their childhood.

Gas and Oil does span across the generations so it won't feel the sting some other collecting areas have felt. Look at Hop A Long Cassidy. Not alot of kids today even know who he was, and the people that collected it are leaving us. That stuff brings a fraction of what it used to. Not saying gas and oil stuff will experience that drastic of a drop off, but it's just an example.

Also happening in the toy hobby. New collectors sometimes can't afford the older maybe higher end pieces so they collect the somewhat newer stuff.

I am seeing more and more composite/cardboard oil cans being collected. Just my two sense.

OLDER Gas stuff will take a drastic drop off. "There is nothing anyone can do about it either. The reason being is in your first paragraph...Happens in every hobby. As collectors grow older sometimes the new collectors would rather collect what they remember from their childhood."

It is as simple as that! No one will collect items/products in which they have no connection with.

Last edited by strnge; Sun Jan 27 2013 10:38 AM.

Mike
Jack Sim #389318 Sun Jan 27 2013 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I concur with Jack on the Book, Blue Hyways . I have had it since Larry King interviewed Bill Least Heatmoon on the radio back I guess in 1982.

As for collecting the New stuff, I guess it depends upon what it is . If it's something that's not designed as a "throw a way, sometimes . Heck, in this hobby, stuff ya never would have thought turns up as a "Collectable" twelve years later ........Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #389401 Sun Jan 27 2013 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One never knows when a plastic item will be collectible.

This NOS plastic bottle is between 47 and 57 years old. When new they were emptied and thrown away... Now they are a "semi-hard" item to find in good condition...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved