Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#38881 Sat Jun 18 2005 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey--Did Jarvis talk to those guys that bought those globes? Oh Lordy!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#38882 Sun Jun 19 2005 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Let it go!!!! I heard that all day Friday and Saturday... get away from my globes or don't touch that! LOL It's in good fun and i had fun. I will show you my buys of the week tonight... and yes i bought a globe and didn't break it!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#38883 Sun Jun 19 2005 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
YET !!
db

#38884 Sun Jun 19 2005 05:45 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
JJ WAS STANDING IN FRONT OF MY BOOTH; NITA SAID "REX YOU BETTER WATCH THOSE GLOBES" AND POINTED AT JJ.......WE HAD A GOOD LAUGH.
REX LIKES GLOBES

#38885 Sun Jun 19 2005 05:48 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I fully agree with Oldgas...I have dealt with Aumann's over the years and they have always been completely trustworthy!! They definitely attract the pree-mo goodies!!

Don't be disillusioned with the 20,000 dollar plus globes...those are the Auburn's and Duesenbergs of the hobby. For now. There are still lots of neat globes and signs a guy can get into for a lot less money. We'll never see the days of $50 Standard Red Crowns or $60 30" Aromax Skelly porcelain signs again. Those prices were top dollar in the early seventies. We'd all like to buy that cheap but if you want to play, you have to pay as they say.

I do personally think prices will mirror the stock market-collector car-real estate bust that is coming...there are just so many people who can or would pay over 20 grand for a globe, and they aren't very numerous so if you pay that today it is strictly speculation. I'd say the chances of getting your money back in say 3 or 4 years are not very good!!! Hey, I'm just reading what all of the Yale economists are saying is coming at us just around the corner...you can see it for yourself in the Wall Street Journal heck even the USA Today Business section has been warning this is coming at us like a runaway train...

#38886 Sun Jun 19 2005 06:28 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Midway Oil,

Did you just wake up from a long slumber?? All kidding aside, the stock market just had a huge "bear" market in the period 2000 - 2003. I don't think many Wall Street types are forecasting a stock market crash any time soon. However, the housing market is another story. Some parts of the country are in "bubble" territory. Where that story ends is anybody's guess.

As for the oil & gas hobby...I've had some collectors say "don't be a naysayer". But this hobby shows signs of topping out. (Remember baseball cards and beer cans?? Back in the early 1990's the Mickey Mantle rookie card was going for $25K, now it goes for maybe $10K??) So many big collectors are cashing out in the last couple of years. When the current generation of collectors who grew up pumping gas and driving hot rods or muscle cars cashes out, who's coming up to the plate?? The younger people today don't have the same nostalgic interest or the bucks to carry the hobby higher.

Just one guy's opinion. But what do I know??

Paul

#38887 Sun Jun 19 2005 07:59 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Dick, you beat me to that reply!!!!!! Jarvis, have you ever thought of going into the jigsaw puzzle business?????

#38888 Mon Jun 20 2005 12:03 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
John Jarvis, I've figured out a way that you can redeem yourself and put all this "boxes that sound like a baby's rattle when you shake-em" behind you. Here it is;

STAGE A PRODUCTION ON NATIONAL TV

TAKE A BROKEN GLOBE, LAY YOUR HANDS ON IT AND "POOF" IT'S ONE PIECE AGAIN (you may want to warm the crowd up by doing a broken light bulb or soda bottle first)

MAKE ALL OF THE BROKEN GLOBES YOU'VE EVER BROKEN (or been accused of breaking) WHOLE AGAIN

The way I see it John, if you can do the above, the Jarvis Curse will vanish. Otherwise I don't see any other way. These oldgassers are tough ole cats with fantastic memories!!

Neal

#38889 Mon Jun 20 2005 08:17 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Pablo...I agree with most of what you say, but you have to remember what Scarface Al Capone said in an interview done in the late 1920's before the Great Crash...a newspaper reporter asked if he played the Market to which Capone quickly responded quite emphatically 'NO, the thing is rigged. It's for suckers.'

My 401K, which is a heap of ashes, bears testimony to that!! But you are 100% correct on the next generation coming up. They don't have the nostalgia for gas collectables like us guys do, and nostalgia knows no price. I say buy the pieces that you like to enjoy for yourself and if you have the $$ and want to play, go ahead. I guess the thing that is bothersome, and no one can control it, is the speculators and what THEY do to the hobby. They have already destroyed the muscle car market. I mean, two million dollars for a Hemi 'Cuda convertible?? Get real. I remember those cars when they were new. They were absolute junk. If Chrysler built trash like that today I GUARANTEE they would be out of business........

Anyway, enough of this...lets get back to the hobby!! Hope you guys have a good collecting season!!! Take care.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved