Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38960 Sun May 09 2004 05:41 PM
41Again Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
need some help here. a buddy of mine just bought a polly gas neon sign on ebay $400. after he bought it, i looked at it and began to wonder.....never saw anything but a round all neon polly at roy's show three years ago. this looks too good to me. did any of you guys see it on ebay the other day and do you have input??want to save my friend some grief if i can. thanks, gary

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#38961 Sun May 09 2004 06:16 PM
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
ebay item #2242999609 and it is definately a repro, he is currently selling a ok used cars sign that looks just like it if you look at his current items.

#38962 Sun May 09 2004 07:17 PM
Online Cool
This item appears to be a common repro Polly round sign on a retro style new sign body that is available in neon with many different logos. Similar to the signs found here only the Polly there is styled a little different.

The National Sign Museum's David Benko has a die-cut Polly bird neon. Those will not be going for $400 on eBay. Benko is a nationally known neon tube bender.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#38963 Mon May 10 2004 06:29 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Guys:

I noticed those ads last week and sent the seller a note letting him know that they were reproductions. He responded with a note telling me his friend (who actually owned them) claimed they were from the '70's so he felt "justified stating that they were 'vintage' since they were produced in the last century". What a dolt.

Even though your buddy got caught buying a repro sign for $400 bucks - it's about what you'd have to pay for one of these anyway. Tell him to ask you to look at anything else he might be tempted to bid on BEFORE bidding next time.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
http://www.vintage-logos.com

[This message has been edited by T-way (edited 05-10-2004).]

#38964 Thu May 20 2004 01:58 PM
V
V
Hey guys - I want to thank you for helping me out also. I put those neon signs up for bid not knowing what my client gave me. I know better now. These are definately repos as I now know. Sorry for any confusion - I am not normally a "dolt". The next time anything goes up for sale on ebay, I will ensure it says reproduction in the description and not vintage. Anyways, thanks again.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved