Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
It's cumming to be more and more of a topic about when I die and my wife is stuck with this mess I have created. Does any one have any experiance with haven some one take in air the last time and leave a gas station or 2 at thier house? Would the stations usualy get sold and a slab of cement is the only thing left OR is there people that would walk into an existing set up like this? My plan is to have them pull some boards up on the floor and bury me under the wood and concrete in the office but if they bulldoze over the station it may get a little chilly down there. I am not on an expedited trip the the hole in the floor at this point but is could happen at any time I guess. i was thinken after causing her all this misery all these years it would be good to give her a little break after I am gone. Has anyone seen this happen? I mean a house with one or 2 gas stations be left for the wife and family to deal with? Thanks
rick

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would suggest that you make sure your wife/ family has a clue as to how much your collection is worth. Maybe make an inventory sheet listing items and estimated values so when you go they don't have a garage sale with give away prices. Or if you think you have more than they should have to deal with, give her a paper with a couple reputable auction companies names and numbers on it. A friend of mine didnt want to have his wife have to deal with big stuff so he sold off his collection when he started getting older. He got to sell it off, see where it went and made sure he got a fair price for it. He has a lot of small stuff left but his wife is up on prices or can sell it on ebay. As far as a gas station in the back yard, it would be a turn off to some buyers and others would see it as extra storage space.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Dont worry about it Rick. Her new husband will appreciate all your hard work and cool collection.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am only concerned with the buildings. Thats the stumper in my plan. Tools and collectable gas and restroom equipment will hopefully be gone by then.
Thanks for the reply Wes
Rick

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We have a plan in place at our house. My son is a bigger collector (read that "hoarder") than his old man so, when I'm gone, his wife will inherit the problem. People are always asking what I plan to do with all that stuff......I just say that it's my grandsons problem cause my boy will never sell any of it! The only thing is, we don't have that grandson yet so they better get busy or the collection may be in jeopardy sooner than we think......Gary

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a reciprocal deal with another collector and our wives know to contact that person if anything should happen to either of us. He and I have talked over the details, so the problem of the items is solved!
NOW--"BUILDINGS"--that could be a problem. If the wife enjoys the buildings, she can keep on enjoying them for the rest of her time. They may even give her some comfort in daily life and ease the burden of you being gone!
OTHERWISE--she'll have to look for a buyer that will enjoy what you did, and looking at the station you've constructed, it should be an easy task. That building could easily be repurposed if necessary!
Its good to be prepared Rick, but don't rush things, we need you around here! Where else would the humor come from! LOL
Good health to you my friend!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You might want to contact Alyssa 2322 (she is a member here) Her dad was a member here and recently passed away and she and her mom are liquidiating items through ebay. She puts a list of items in the ebay section here each Sunday and has asked folks here for some input.

You might PM her and ask her a few questions (respectfully of course, LOL) as to how it was for her and her mom and maybe what her dad could have done to maybe better help them. Just a thought.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The government takes it...

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The Local Vultures will be Roosting @ your place, before your Worm Food.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
You have that right Dick

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Has anyone ever seen a house sell with the shell of an old station or two on it?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
No I have not seen a house like that sell but I took pictures of all my collection inside and out and wrote beside each piece what I thought the high and low would be. Of course that still may not help If she finds out what I paid for some of it I had better be gone.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
This happenened to a friend of mine about 10 years ago. He had a nice collection, abruptly killed in a car wreck. Out of respect for the family, I never asked about it at all for about a year. By then, sold it for pennies on the dollar to a junk dealer about an hour away, just have a plan.

Thanks, Phil
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: hillsideshortleg
Has anyone ever seen a house sell with the shell of an old station or two on it?

I wouldn't worry about the stations, if kept clean and attended, I don't see a problem. Seller might have to throw a little money at the buyer at closing ? If they didn't want them ?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think and hope my son Chadrock will take care of his momma.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
When i die there im gonna get imbalmed with gasoline. And the as a casket there gonna put me inside a rush dc-3 display pump its gonna be themed out in early black dino sinclair. Im gonna be wearing a cities service attendents uniform. The rush is for the viewing. And the grave sidethere gonna pack me into a nice original paint wayne 70. Thats right im takeing some of it with me.

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: hillsideshortleg

I've seen many places around here sell with "out buildings" scattered round the property. When the house is being sold that is all they are going to be, "Out buildings" to the realtor and the buyers. Yours do not have gas tanks buried so no need to worry about it.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I am up for adoption if anyone needs an heir that will appreciate their stuff.

In response to the actual question: I think unless the buildings can easily be repurposed, to most buyers it would be more of a detriment than an asset. I had a real estate broker tell me that in parts of the country a pool or hot tub will kill more sales than it will help. IMO the stations could be the same.

I really like KW's idea of having someone knowledgable lined up to assist with unexpected liquidation.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
They bury you. And life goes on.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Rick they will just turn them into more chicken coups. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
They bury you. And life goes on.

Jack Sim

Yup. That about sums it up.

Have fun while you're here. Before your health or your wife's starts to go, if you have control over it, have a big auction, sell everything including the buildings, and travel and enjoy yourself if you can. We are only caretakers of this stuff. At some point you have to let it go. We can't dwell on what this sold for or what that should sell for.

Life's too short.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Just DON'T die, Rick!!
In all seriousness, your family is so fortunate that you take this into consideration!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have told our daughter if anything happens to my wife and I, Get a local reputable auctioneer and sell it all. I explained to her our real estate sells absolute auction (high bidder the buyer" as well as all of our personal property. I know if I go before the wife she will do the same thing.
I have a 30 x 38 Pure Ice Box station in our back yard. It is on a separate parcel and can sell by itself or with the house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved