Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#390906 Sat Feb 02 2013 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
What a GREAT week for gas pumps, for me!
Sunday I got a Erie 77A Original Chevron Pump that is Very rust free and with only minor dents and scratches but some issues.
It has one original ad glass, all of the original internals except for a largely labeled factory rebuilt computer and I am going to leave it mostly as is except to clean and try to get the paint off the original Chevron Stickers on the doors and a little light work on the dent on the bottom of the one door. The chrome pieces are still intact around the bottom, just painted over and a little dented.
Here is a link to the forum threat that I posted some pics on and I will be taking more soon. http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=389818#Post389818

Friday I got my first visible gas pump!
Problem is that after combing thru hundreds if not thousands of pics of visible pumps on here and on google, I can't identify it!

There is no tag that I have found yet and I have not removed the skins yet but there is no access door.

So I hate to even ask but could someone help me out here with a identity?

The pump was gone thru sometime in the 80s and has a plastic cylinder that is starting to have spider cracks, the paint is oxidized but it is very solid and complete with minimal rust.
It has 2 Richfield globe lenses that look to be repops from the 80s I would guess.

It seems the visible is lighter than the Erie 77A. Both are still freeky heavy!

Thanx in advance to any that share any information about this visible!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Appears to be a reproduction

jrsironworks #390916 Sat Feb 02 2013 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that was my first thought also,i could be wrong?

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
jrsironworks #390923 Sat Feb 02 2013 06:35 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: jrsironworks
Appears to be a reproduction

What I thought as well when first seeing the pictures.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
1937 GMC #390941 Sat Feb 02 2013 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Boyle Dayton 78 or 89, wrong/missing correct bonnet, cast iron access door. Main body appears to have been shortened.

Dick Bennett #390942 Sat Feb 02 2013 08:37 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The middle casting looks like Boyle Dayton, would like to see what the base looks like. The number stick looks like #31 in Tim's post on what visible markers are, don't know what he finally came up with what they were. Don't know about the top. Richard

gatorgaspumps #391104 Sat Feb 02 2013 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Man, you first three responders really know how to get a guys heart to miss a beat or two! I can not, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would've actually reproduced this particular visible so,,,,, anyway
Thanx for everyones responces so far, and in particular the last 2 from DB and Richard!
I really like finding out all of the great info and applying it to figuring out more of the history of this cool pump.
To me it is kinda a marine-ish or nautical look to the pump but maybe it is a semi-fantasy pump from the guy who refreshed/modded it in the 1980s.
Here is the globe lenses that it came with

Here is the very top:

Here is one of the cylnder:

Here is the top and bottom of the base:

I'm guessing that it was re-skinned but all of the internals and cast iron pieces, including the base and top, are all in very complete and decent shape with NO major rot found as of yet.
I have a standing reach of 8'3" (at least I did b4 shrinking some) and I could barely reach the top when it was standing up but most of the base had sunk into the ground a little bit. Needless to say I will not be leaving it on top of ground while I have it! It always will be on wood or blocks or concrete with me. I just don't understand why people don't try to keep away rot better but oh well, it's still in very rot free cond so I'm happy to get it and do my best to preserve it from here.
Thanx again and keep em comming

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
One more reason of a person buying a new car without taking a look at the brochure, or in this case, buying a gas pump without knowing anything about it.

If you don't have a copy of my Gas Pump Identification book, find someone that does, it might save you some money in the long run.

Jack Sim
www.petrocollect.com

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Feb 02 2013 06:03 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #391132 Sat Feb 02 2013 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Post in Want To Buy, you need a Boyle Dayton Bonnet & cast Access door w/ Frame.

Until WE started collecting gas pumps,VERY FEW were ever sold East of the Rockies. IF you've not seen one except in pictures you'd think it was a Fantasy/Repop item.

Jack Sim #391148 Sat Feb 02 2013 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jack,
Yes, your book is one of the must have "tools" that I need to get right away. I don't know why, but I've tried to find it second hand but anyone that has one will not give it up, so, I will break down and get a new one like I did with the gas pump blue book.
I got a copy of the gas pump blue book which can be helpful if you have a tag but this one does not, at least not that I can find.
And yes I'm guilty of buying all my pumps so far with out knowing too much about them first but so far I've done ok I think. I do have a lot of previous knowledge of old iron and antiques but I rely more on my gut feelings if there is no chance research previous to showing up to get a item.
I had a good feeling about this one even before I saw it at all and usually it's a sign of low production if I can't find another like it while doing research after I haul something home.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
thank God I got burned on my very first pump!

bought Jacks book the next day!

best way to learn is get burned...IMO

rogerg #391155 Sat Feb 02 2013 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
@ the time this pump was manufactured it was Not a Low production item. Today it's still a common pump to find on the West Coast [Craig Osbeck has a few that he is selling]. There is one near me that has been For Sale for at least a year, missing the cyl. but they have been watching TOO MUCH TV, asking $$$$!

Dick Bennett #391162 Sat Feb 02 2013 10:49 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Base is Boyle Dayton. The skins should be 62 1/2" long, that way you know if the pump has been cut down. Richard

gatorgaspumps #391168 Sun Feb 03 2013 12:08 AM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
I've got both the Boyle Dayton and Wayne versions of this pump and they both appear to have the same gallon markers as yours does.... although the BD only has 2 sticks and the Wayne has 3.
Both of mine have the tin China-Man hat type of bonnet, but I do have a friend that has a cast iron one that just sits on top.
They are not at all uncommon in your area..... along with the Wayne 515... those are the ones that seem to be the most prevalent.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Boyle Dayton / Wayne transition

nightpump1.JPG 18-BDS.jpg 18-DB-AD.jpg
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved