Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The second tin from R & S is much harder to find. 2 Examples are known by me at this time. Price histories are limited so $45-$90 are the ranges known for now.

........Dave

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Next up is Lightning. A brilliant looking tin that is semi-hard to find. Interior unknown. Prices are respectable at $15-$50.

Last edited by lordparaffin; Sat Feb 16 2013 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Last of this section for the parts stores is Joe-the motorists' friend. These aren't terribly hard to find and waiting for a nice example is worth it. Prices are relative to availability at around $20-$45. Please note that these are a large size tin. If there is a small size tin that was available, I haven't found it yet.

Last edited by lordparaffin; Sat Feb 16 2013 06:36 PM.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well here we are with the 3rd and final section of tins......Automobile manufacturers. This section overall is probably the most valued of all sections because these are the most cross-collected. I'll refrain from individual price ranges as all of these have proved to have both so-so and extraordinary days. Lower conditions will bring average prices of $25-$50 and better conditions can realize upwards of $150 for the most hard to find models. Back in the first section of bulb manufacturers, I mentioned that Westinghouse was a real powerhouse in the auto bulb market and they really had a corner on the auto manufacturer section. Finding complete interiors is still a major challenge but evidence suggests Westinghouse was involved as a major supplier.

We'll start with Chevrolet....

I do not have an example of a complete interior but I can show you what to expect for the bulb sleeves. As you can see, Tung Sol was listed as the bulb manufacturer so for a complete/correct tin, Tung Sol bulbs would need to be included.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

There is one technical variation of the Chevy tin and it's a physical difference in the lid. Instead of a completelt flat lid, there is a version that has a slightly recessed center starting at the white line border on the lid. At some point the tins evolved to a simple standard GM tin.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Packard follows next with a large size tin. Packard used a cardboard insert with cutouts to hold the individual bulbs.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Ford is our next feature. The light blue paint on these tins is tends wear easily or fade so finding one in prestine condition isn't easy.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Pontiac is one tin you will spend some time trying to find. One of the rarer tins in the whole collection.

Notice the design similarities between the Chevy and Pontiac tins. Since GM bought Pontiac in 1909 and Oakland produced the first model in 1926, the designs re-affirm time periods of these tins to very late 20's early 30's at their earliest.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The Cadillac family of tins is a trio of 2 smaller and 1 larger tin. The larger and most especially the orange tin are the hardest one's to find. Westinghouse appears to be the sole company of choice although I only have one example. When you compare the outside of all Cadillac tins with Westinghouse tins, you see design cues that are definately Westinhouse.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
There are 2 examples from other manufacturers that I am aware of. Unfortunately I have no photos but the first one is by Studebaker. It closely resembles the orange Cadillac tin but with a Studebaker styled lid and the black Westinhouse border. The second tin is Nash. This tin I had a photo of but it was lost by accident. I do know that this was a bulb manufacturers tin with a sticker across the lids face, similar to Atlas, which simply stated Nash.

One last little extra I have is a bulb tester tin. I've seen one other example of the one I have and one example from another manufacturer. These used 4 "D" batteries and could test the larger bulbs and the smaller bulbs with either single or double pole sockets and yes, it does actually work.

And with that, I've reached the end of my guide to bulb tins. It's been a lot of work and I hope I didn't bore anyone too much but mostly I hope you've learned a little something. As I come by new tins, I will continue to update with new photos and as new information surfaces I will update that as well. If you should happen to have a tin that I haven't spotlighted, I'd be delighted to see pictures of it added to this thread. Please remember, it's takes a mountain of patience to piece together a collection such as mine but the challenge and the hunt make it worth the effort. Also, price ranges I've given are mearly a reference point and not an absolute. There are bargains to be found as well as top prices to be paid within all sections and condition/availability will be the best determiner of your spending comfort level. Thanks for taking the time to look through my work and from this point on, I'm asking anyone who wishes to, to add pictures of advertising, displays and anything related to this subject matter that you may own proudly. I know there are some wonderful items that don't get much attention and this would be the perfect forum to show off your wares. Thanks in advance for your additions.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You have done an excellent job on this thread, Dave.... I know you worked long and hard on it.

My little collection of tins and lamps are somewhat pitiful, but they're mine.... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This proves that everything is worth something to someone, and thank God for it. I think of all the stuff I lovingly collect and I appreciate the fact that I never knew these existed until now. Nice, really nice display!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved