Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
The reason Diesel went sky high is the new ultralow Sulphur regulations the UE rammed down everyones throats. Some of the older refineries could not be upgraded, and the other refineries spent Billions (With a B) to upgrade.

Before you put all the blame for the high prices on the oil companies remember that the goverment and the enviromentalists have blocked the building of any new refineries for years. Today for a small start up oil company to build a new refinery the cost would be a Billion (with the B again) before putting a shovel in the ground.

My rant for the week

Looking for Canadian Imperial and Canadian North Star.
John Neilsen
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is another reason. IN 1973 I went from a $3.00 a hour machinest job at a small shop to the refinery's machine shop at $5.83 a hour. I was in hog heaven and getting rich. When I retired in 2003 I was making $21.00 a hour with all of the overtime I wanted. Still getting rich. Now I understand the operators are making $25.00 a hour plus. In 1973 crude was $5.00 a barrel now about $90 to $100 a barrel. Does that help figure out some of the cost. Mitch P.S. I also have oil company stock it pays well.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Price went up here .21 cent . Can't figure that one out, its not even a HOLIDAY WEEKEND. Does that only happen here just before every holiday.
Wonder what the major oil quarterly profit margin looks like?
Im glad I have stock !

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Loyd Pierce
None of this is making me feel better.

If they can explain why in 2000 diesiel was 1.35 and gas was 2.50
And today its 3.94 and gas is 3.29 I will listen. Cheepest grade of fuel there is to produce.

My thoughts exactly . There has to be answer , but it won't satisfy me.
I heat with oil , basicly the same , plus I pay sales tax on top of it.
It's usually priced the same as the diesel at the stations , which has the
tax included. I understand they need to make a profit and they deliver it ,
but it looks like $.45 a gallon. Why is gas so much less , when it takes more to
refine it?
Also , I started driving when gas was $.33 a gallon. I understand the inflation
part , but it just seems to take a bigger part of my limited income than it did
back than .

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This place was out of business, I guess they could not keep up with the price changes.

010.JPG
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Originally Posted By: Johnnyleduc
The reason Diesel went sky high is the new ultralow Sulphur regulations the UE rammed down everyones throats. Some of the older refineries could not be upgraded, and the other refineries spent Billions (With a B) to upgrade.

Before you put all the blame for the high prices on the oil companies remember that the goverment and the enviromentalists have blocked the building of any new refineries for years. Today for a small start up oil company to build a new refinery the cost would be a Billion (with the B again) before putting a shovel in the ground.

My rant for the week

Considering the fact that Exxon Mobil posted profits of 45 Billion last year, I hardly think shelling out for a refinery is an issue. They like the market just as it is.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The reason Exxon/Mobil can achieve these profits is they have control or own the processing/refining process from start to finish. They take it out of the ground, they ship the crude, they refine it, and they sell it in their gas stations.

Price will continue to increase as long as the demand is there.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 59fairlane
Price will continue to increase as long as the demand is there.

I don't see the demand going away.. cool

RANDY
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: oldiesbutgoodies
My Father had a Sunoco station back in the 60's and I remember pumping gas at that time and up until the gas rationing in early 70's at .29 to .37 cents a gallon. Also remember my Dad saying on a good day he was making .10 cents a gallon profit. I later took over that gas station and added a couple more up until 2001 when I sold out to a large PA oil company. In all those years I only avg. 8-10 cents a gallon profit. It goes to show you that with all the taxes added on and so forth the only ones really making the bucks is the refiners.

Well you and your father were doing pretty well I'd say. My father owned a Texaco station from 1957 -1976 when he passed away. He never made 10 cents a gallon profit. In the early 70's he would buy gas at 29.0 cents/gallon and sell at 31.9. 3 cents and he took the labor out of that for me to walk out and pump it. I have the receipts from Texaco Co. selling him the gas and oil back in the 70's. My father made his living in the two bays. No where else. Pop was 15 cents, candy 10 cents and cigaretts were 35 cents.

Doug

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved