Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If the concrete doesnt out weigh the pole then youve already lost. Just the sign and ring are nearly 200 pounds you take 200 pounds and give it 18 feet of leverage a butterfly could push it down. Not to mention the pole is 6-800 pounds. I paint it the green for sure. On a side note when im concreting 14' 8x8 poles for large iron gates we hammer in what we call roots. With a bobcat i push 8ft angle iron in all directions and leave a foot or two in the hole then we poor the concrete in the hole. Just a thought.

Last edited by Rust and Dust; Tue Feb 12 2013 05:15 PM.

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B

Sorry to say this but I worked parking lot lighting for 25 years. I don't think 6" anchors is good enough. 18"-24" J bolts like Dick mentioned. Are you bringing power up the middle ?

C
OP Offline
C
It has conduit on it so I will pull new wires just in case. I don't have power where it's gonna go.
3 foot square hole 6 feet deep is two yards of concrete. About 7000 pounds. Digging that will be a major chore here. This is a reclaimed coal mine It's very very rocky. That will require a backhoe here.
I might try to dig one 3x3x3. That's one yard. 3500 pounds. Or 150 bucks worth of concrete. Surely that would be enough. Most pole barns around here are 80x80 with 36 poles. Most have a 80 pound sack of quickcrete per pole. That's less than 3000 pounds holding down 6400 square foot of roof

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: C.F.
That's less than 3000 pounds holding down 6400 square foot of roof

BUT it's spread around an 80' x 80' perimeter & cross braced w/ siding! Plus the depth of each pole into ground.

Cheaper to do it correctly the 1st time than to re-dig & Probably Re-place the Damaged Sign.

Strap it to a tree & save the digging!

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Feb 12 2013 06:35 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Originally Posted By: C.F.
That's less than 3000 pounds holding down 6400 square foot of roof

BUT it's spread around an 80' x 80' perimeter & cross braced w/ siding! Plus the depth of each pole into ground.

Yeah what db said.

Jonathan lowry.
C
OP Offline
C
Most pole barns are just post and roof. No siding or cross bracing. That being said, I have seen many barns destroyed. Dozens of them (mine included) April 27 2011. Saw roofs pulled off and poles snapped off at the ground and poles pulled out of the ground. Enough wind will destroy anything

Next time I have a concrete truck here. I will pour a bigger pad. But I am interested to see what it takes to destroy the current pad

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Save your $$$ & leave it laying on the ground. At least it won't be damaged from falling over.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
We are only trying to help i dont care what happens to your sign or pole. But i know that you do and was trying to help. Enjoy the sign and pole.

Jonathan lowry.
R
reb Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
The Texaco plans for a banjo pole foundation was 3 foot by 3 foot concrete with a minimum depth of 4 foot 6 inches with four 1 inch diameter J shaped anchor bolts inbedded to a depth of 2 feet 6 inches.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I mounted my 72" Texaco Banjo Pole and Sign , I went 4 feet square x 4 Feet deep with 3000 Lb concrete , used rebar and I feel safe, 2 other guys I know have done the same way.

its just 1.3 Yards
Cheap insurance for what could happend if you do it the cheap way !

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
C
OP Offline
C
Calm down guys. I appreciate everyones input. I said I was not gonna use the current pad and was gonna destroy it. I said my wife would kill me if I spent a bunch of money and time putting this sign up. Surely some of you can relate. I said it was gonna be a job to dig a hole over three feet deep.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dont want to "pile on" but just to help-I've been a commercial concrete man for over thirty five years -If you want my opinion on what would be the way to go-Pm me. As far as digging, all you need to do is rent a 2 foot bit and an extension for your rig. Also depends on your soil.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
6pk of good beer, 12" dia. hole 3' deep, light 1/4 stick Dynamite, QUICKLY Back Fill hole, RUN LIKE HELL! No digging required.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
6pk of good beer, 12" dia. hole 3' deep, light 1/4 stick Dynamite, QUICKLY Back Fill hole, RUN LIKE HELL! No digging required.

Good One !!!!

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved