Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#394045 Thu Feb 14 2013 09:44 AM
R
Repete Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I hear there is a high temp bondo for powder coating. Has anyone used this or other filler?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Its called "Lab Metal"

You can get it at Eastwood.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
There is a product by Evercoat called metal to metal. It can be powder coated. I did a test on a piece of sheet metal. I put three different depths of dents, drilled some 1/8 inch peck marks to simulate rust pits, used a die grinder to simulate heavy deep scratches and put some 36 grit grinder marks. The deep dent that was about 3/8 inch deep was having a issue with conductivity. The drill marks and die grinder marks were a little visible due to shrinking. The product shrinks in the high heat. The smaller dents with smooth edges came out pretty good. Anything with a sharp edge that was filled was noticeable due to shrinking.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ
There is a product by Evercoat called metal to metal. It can be powder coated. I did a test on a piece of sheet metal. I put three different depths of dents, drilled some 1/8 inch peck marks to simulate rust pits, used a die grinder to simulate heavy deep scratches and put some 36 grit grinder marks. The deep dent that was about 3/8 inch deep was having a issue with conductivity. The drill marks and die grinder marks were a little visible due to shrinking. The product shrinks in the high heat. The smaller dents with smooth edges came out pretty good. Anything with a sharp edge that was filled was noticeable due to shrinking.

I wonder if you applied, sanded, heated, then re-sand if the shrinkage would go away.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I thought about that. Also did some reserch on the lab metal. It has to be heat cured before finish sanding before powder coating, so unless you have an oven or make trips back and forth to your powder coater it may not be good.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
JB weld for smoothing out cast iron, sand refill, sand and then a couple of coats of powder prime. Sanding between each coat. Strong, chip resistant, and clears nicely with liquid.

Craig
Originally Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ
I thought about that. Also did some reserch on the lab metal. It has to be heat cured before finish sanding before powder coating, so unless you have an oven or make trips back and forth to your powder coater it may not be good.

You can buy small infrared heaters to cure. They are not expensive.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As with a lot of primers and fillers at my body shop using the infrared lamps is a normal thing. I have used them with the Lab Metal and not had a problem when powder coating. And as Ryan says the small ones are cheap and you find lots of ways to use them drying paints and stuff.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
There a powder coat shop next door to mine. They use JB weld also. They swear by it and have never had issues.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved