Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
As you can see this was an unhinged tin. The next tin is the hinged model. So far I have not found one of these with a paper label but I feel there would have been kits made this way.

Next I believe is the evolution in both bulb and tins. These were in 2 sizes.

........Dave

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The next photo shows another tin by GE on the right that was included in some Harley Davidson tool kits. There are a lot of these available on the market place so I believe these were available widespread.

The interiors of the tins are shown next. The cardboard insert is all I have at this point for the tin on the right.

All of the GE tins shown previously are somewhat easy to attain. These will generally range depending on condition from a a couple dollars to $25 without interiors. Complete/correct interiors will range $10-$30 with the first tin shown being in a $20-$40 range.

Last edited by lordparaffin; Mon Feb 04 2013 12:12 PM.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You are doing a great job, Dave!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
OK everyone, I've finally got some time to move forward so we'll move on to GE Edison tins. Unlike the regular GE tins, the Edison tins are limited to just a couple designs. Both are unhinged models and of the more common small size variety. The first tin is the more graphic of the two.

The second tin is probably the more common variety and is rather a plain wrapper style. This tin was styled with the paper labels in mind and you will find these quite regularly with some part of the label remaining however putting together a complete set with good labels is still a respectable challenge. Both styles of tin would have had the paper/cardboard insert and the proper interior is shown. On the bulb sleeve, you will notice artwork from artist Maxfield Parrish who GE commissioned to do art for advertising pieces such as calanders and ads as well as the packaging. Expected prices for good examples are generally in the $5-$25 range depending on condition and completeness.

Next up is Westinghouse. Westinghouse may not have been the originators of the Mazda bulb but they were definately a major force in the market. They had a number of tins with different designs and challenges can be found here as well. Paper labels seem to be a little more challenging to find in this group examples have been found on several of the varieties. It's worth being patient for good examples as the orange and black paint designs are eye catching. You may have noticed by now that collecting paper labels by the numbers is tough enough and putting together great examples is even tougher yet. The blacker version of this design is hinged while the all orange version is unhinged. Once again, prices will range roughly in the $5-$30 bracket.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
There are variations which are tougher to aquire especially in nice shape. The tin to the right is the easier to find variation but it is not limited to the lid. Lids and boxes are not interchangeable between the two as can be seen in the photos.

The last variation of this tin style is next. Of all Westinghouse tins, this one is hands down the hardest to come by including all brands of tin. These aren't easy to come by in any condition so mine is a little rough. This version also has a different paint treatment. It's more of a opaque metallic look and is not interchangeable in any way with the other sister tins.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Comparison photos should show the diffences in paint. This variation will see prices in the $20-$40 range and the more common variation will generally realize $10-$30.

Similarly painted is the little square tin which is the only one of it's size and shape that I am aware of. The challange with this tin is getting it with it's interior. This tin on it's own, $5-$10 and with interior $10-$20.

Lastly we have this hinged model. Not hard to find and I'm certain this was a very late design. Nice condition examples are normally in the $5-$15 range. Although I don't have an example, the interior of this tin is very similar to the blue and white GE tin that was part of some Harley kits except it's Westinghouse of course and is red rather than blue.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Tung Sol is up next with just 3 tins. Oddly enough, these can be fairly common but finding them in sweet condition is tough. I don't know for certain, but I believe the lettering differneces in these first 2 tins was evolutionary rather than to specific bulb combinations and the lids are the only difference. This is one tin that paper labels are not something I've come across. Expect prices anywhere from $5-$25 depending on shape and completeness.

One hinged model is the final tin. $5-$20 is an expected range.

Next we'll visit with National. Tins with lables can be collected on the regular tins with prices in area of $10-$25.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The one tin National has that is unique to them is the little "half" tin as I refer to it. I cannot determine if these were meant as pre-packaged tins or given along with the purchase of bulbs bought out of boxed case bulbs. I have one rarity with a label on the bottom that has made me raise this question. There are 3 versions of these tins which in the beginning I never caught onto the differences of but they are all individual.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This is the little rare jewel I mentioned earlier and the lable on the bottom is what makes it unique. I draw the conclusion this particular tin never had bulbs in it from the manufacturer.

Any of the above tins will usually range in the $3-$10 area.

Dura bulbs is our next example and one of my favorites. These are tougher to aquire than the bigger name brands and tend to run around $20-$40. Still doing my homework on what the interior should look like.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
American bulbs is our next featured tin. This one always felt very patriotic to me. $15-$35.

An interior shot but no bulb sleeves. Notice the places for fuses in the middle section which is something that isn't the usual but not unique to this particular brand. It's seems like more of an option offered by some companies.

Last edited by lordparaffin; Thu Feb 14 2013 12:09 PM. Reason: Add information

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Pacesetter lamp tins are next and tend to be harder to come by especially in real nice condition. You can expect $10-$30 prices for this tin.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave, this is Great!!!!

I thought I had a pretty good Collection, until I started reading this thread and seeing your photos..... LOL

Keep it up my friend! You are doing Fantastic!!!!!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi-Lite bulb tins are definately one of the more troublesome tins put in your collection with a great look. A couple years back one of these in very nice condition acheived $70 in auction. Fair expectations can range from $25-$70.

Last but not least for todays entries are two tins that can fall into 2 different catagories. We are all familiar with Atlas in the car parts business and although they didn't actually make bulbs, they did market these GE bulbs with their name attached. I have record of Atlas using this practice under Westinghouse as well but any of these are very tough to come by since the nature of the Atlas's advertising was using a sticker. There doesn't seem to be much of a premium over the regular tin price, but it's is a variation worth trying to add to any collection.

The second tin I've seen 3 examples all of which are in poor condition due to this being another sticker application. Again, no real noticable premium in price but be aware this is the large size tin variety and if one of these were to pop up in nice clean shape, I think there would be a noticeable mark up over the base GE tins value.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Glad you like it Bob. This has become more time consuming than I expected it would so sorry for the long delays between segments. The best tins are yet to come so check in from time to time.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Picking things up again this morning with our next company which is Eveready. Eveready had a different approach to tins choosing their own path and style. They used what I term as the "tube" and the "eye glass" tins. What these tins exceled at was protection of the bulbs themselves without the need for any extra internal packaging such as card board, or the use of sleeves. These tins are some of the most widely available on the market so waiting for top condition specemins is the only way to go here. These can range quite a bit in price but $5-$25 would be a normal exceptable range.

Osram is the next featured tin. Osram is a British bulb manufacturer. To date, I'm aware of 3 British company's with tins from this era but I only have one example to show you. Cossor and Ediswan are the 2 other companies who have tins. If anyone has examples of these and can post up pictures, I'd be most appreciative. The Osram tin is the easiest of the 3 companies to obtain. Price range on the Osram tends to be in the $15-$35 area.

........Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved