Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The last of bulb manufacturers (that I know of) is the Royal bulb company. For the longest time, I had know idea who marketed these next tins since there are no external maker names but some time ago I was able to put a name to the tin. These came in 2 color combinations that I am aware of. I don't have any information that tells me if this is evolutionary or colors representing particular bulb packaging combinations. I personally lean toward the latter as this is common practice even today. These generally fall between $15-$45.

........Dave

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
GROUPING #2

This group is my personnal favorite and all tins within this group are auto parts dealers. These tins usually have a lot to offer as far as graphics on many or all sides. We'll begin with Penn-Jersey a smaller company on the east coast. There are 2 tins available. A small size and a large size.

[IMG]

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

This last picture is of a correct bulb sleeve that would be part of a correct/complete interior. These 2 tins should range about $15-$50 depending on condition. I'd expect more for one that was correct/complete and in great condition.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hollanders is our next spot light. Notice the use of faces. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Pep Boys tins which is something they are known for even today. Who was first? I couldn't tell you but it seems to be a market strategy used by several companies. Once again these are in a large and small size. The large size tin is a tougher tin to come by. You can expect to see prices in the area of $15-$60. I have no idea as of yet what the proper interior should look like but I'm hoping.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

That's all I have time for today everyone. I'll be back to adding more within the week. Keep checking back and I hope you're learning something and that I haven't made this too boring!

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am getting some great responses in reguards to pictures of displays and other advertising. I'm excited about the potential of a nice follow-up section at the end of the tins presentation and I'm asking eveyone to hold on to your photos. If you have anything that you can add at the end, get some photos taken now and show us what's out there after I finish up with my stuff. I personally have nothing to add to this section so I'm depending on everyone else to make it successful. There will be no pricing in that section unless the owners volunteer what they spent for their aquisitions. Thanks again for the positive responses via PM's.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Gofkaufs from the New England states is our next highlighted company. Once again, these came in at least 2 varieties of colors. Some of these tins had the slogan "100% NRA" written on them within a little white banner on the lid. NRA for those of you unfamiliar, is the National Recovery Act which took place during the depression years where large government projects were put in place to help create jobs. So each color version can be found either with or without the slogan on the lid giving a total of 4 possibilities to aquire. Tins from this company are easily attainable for the most part but finding nice examples are much harder. Prices can range $15-$55. Of the four possibilities, so far there doesn't seem to be a standout that is fewer in quantities.

Last edited by lordparaffin; Sat Feb 16 2013 11:30 AM.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Jack and Harry's is another company from the New England area. Recently I've realized that there is also a second color combination to be had. It is unclear if there is any realtionship between Jack and Harry's and Gofkaufs but you'll notice in the next group of pictures the similarities between the 2 companies tins. Jack and Harry's tins are much harder to come by. I myself have only seen several examples. Price expectations should be around $25-$70.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The ever popular Pep Boys tins are up next. Two sizes are available from this company. For as many of these that continue to turn up, people still buy these for decent prices. It is worth holding out for better condition examples as rough one's are abundant. Lower priced one's can be had cheaply $10 but much better one's can realize upwards of $65-$70. Correct/ complete pieces do surface from time to time and a premium should be expected for excellent examples. As I mentioned back at the beginning of this section, the use of faces is a marketing tool closely associated with Pep Boys, but all the previous companies used them as well.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

This last picture is of a correct/complete interior of the large tin however the expectations for the smaller tin should be nearly identical when it comes to the bulb sleeves.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Broadway follows the Pep Boys. This is one of my pride and joys. Information on this company is sparse and whether there are any other variations or sizes I cannot tell you for this is the only example I've come across to this point. Since I have no other sales histories to refer to other than my own purchase, $100 is all I can give for a reference point. Interior is unknown.

The interesting thing to note is the similarities to the Pep boys tins.

.......But, this is it's own tin and NOT interchangeable with the Pep Boys tin.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Western Auto has three tins that I am aware of. The first tin has a variation that is much harder to come by although I don't an example to show you. The difference is simply in the bulb that is pictured on the lid. These are nice looking tins and prices generally are around $20-$55. Interiors are still eluding me so I have no examples to offer.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
The next, and most probably, final evolutionary change is altogether different from the others. These are more common but still tough to find in excellent condition. These tend to be around $15-$35.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Triple X brand is our next feature. These are a little harder to come by but look really cool. The one I have is in awesome condition but I wasn't lucky enough to have the interior with it and to this day I still haven't found an example to be sure of. Prices on these tends to be around $20-$60.

Last edited by lordparaffin; Sat Feb 16 2013 12:25 PM.

........Dave
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R & S auto stores follows up and has 2 nice examples to be collected. These are also different sized tins. The first tin is tough to find but easier than the second. Prices on the first can run anywhere from $25-$80. Once again, interiors are still inknown.

........Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved