Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#39475 Sat Jul 31 2004 09:12 PM
For newer collectors who aren't starting out with 10 years experience, guide books are a good resource. Learning what makes certain items more valuable than others, what the differences are and how to date items can take pretty long without some help.

It is true that value guides don't change with fluctuating markets after they are printed. But a guy has to start somewhere.

I have to admit that the sale of guide books helps fund the operation of this Web site. Browse the following book links.
http://www.oldgas.com/pp_books.htm http://www.gaspumps.info/oilcans.shtml

My name is Jim Potts, and I approved this message. HTN

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#39476 Sat Jul 31 2004 09:15 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Most books that I have seen other then Jacks pump book are valued by the collector or writer who is putting the book together and not by a group of guys who are actually looking at street value of an item. Also condition is key! From watching items sell is that past few years you can really see the higher quality items going for big bucks and the same items appreciating faster. To make a long story short the best books for globes are the globe books by benjamin, pump book by Jack and oil cans has to be the American Oil cans.

------------------
Scott
www.frontrangegas.com

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
#39477 Sat Jul 31 2004 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've got a whole shelf full of price guides and books about stations. I don't use them for pricing. I use them to date items and to see the difference between original and repro items, etc.
Everyone has an opinion of what (if any) books are worth the money they cost. Here's mine:

If you are only going to buy two books, buy the globe books by Benjamin and Henderson....even if you collect signs! The globe books are a 2 volume set. There is more useful information on oil companies in those two books than any other two books combined. You'll find company history, dates that logos were used, affiliated companies. I've used my globe books to accurately date signs.
There are a few errors and pricing is outdated but the other info contained in the 2 books makes them well worth the cost.

If you're a pump guy you need Jack's pump book. The pricing on the late model "T" pumps is way high compared to what I see them sell for. Pump collectors have told me the high end pump values are low in the book. Still, where else are you going to find that much info on pumps for the money?

When I first got the Oil Can book by Miller and Sonewald I didn't think it was very good(I'm a globe guy). I've since changed my opinion of that book. I still don't like the pricing in it, but there's a wealth of information on dates that cans were used. I decided I liked it enough that I bought the second book on cans by the same authors.

I've got the sign book by Henderson and Benjamin. It was a fair book in its day, but its not very complete by today's standards.

I've got a couple of sign books by Bruner. Pretty pictures but not much info.

The Drop Of Oil books on handy oilers are pretty good.

I've got several general petro books. They range from worthless to decent. Mostly they show you what's out there but they don't have much info. Gasoline Treasures is decent and so is Value Guide To Gas Station Memorabilia by Summers and Priddy.

There are several books that cover a single brand. The best by far is the ESSO book by Sam McItyre.

Remember all these books are just tools. They show you what's available, they help you date items, they give you company history, they tell you what companies were affiliated. What they don't do is give you an accurate price. Keep in mind that there are mistakes in the books too. Overall you'll be ahead of the game if you have some good books on the hobby.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 08-01-2004).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#39478 Sat Jul 31 2004 10:04 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
get out to the shows... keep up on current auction prices and you will be far ahead of the price guides...

#39479 Sat Jul 31 2004 10:23 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
The books are great to show you young starters whats out there and the common cans. and you should buy them from this site. But a lot of the rare hard to find cans are not in the books. if you went into a shop and seen this can for 200.00 would you buy it.

------------------
Dwaine. PCA member.

www.vintage-logos.com

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 08-01-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 08-01-2004).]

#39480 Sat Jul 31 2004 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes, going to the shows and auctions is the best way to keep current on prices. Most guys starting out in the hobby have full time jobs and can only make one or two shows a year. Price guides give those guys a base to start from. Checking completed auctions on ebay is a good way to learn about prices to....just don't depend on one auction.

Good guides will tell you how to determine what items will likely increase in value faster than others. Good guides will help you learn how to grade items and how to adjust pricing to match the condition.

If you buy the books just for pricing info you're wasting your money. Good guides take you far beyond values. For about $150 a guy can get several good books that will teach them alot. Thats cheaper than getting burned by a bad deal!

By the way the can Dwaine pictured is on page 228 of the Encyclopedia Of Petroliana by Anderton. "Book" value is $500-$800.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#39481 Sun Aug 01 2004 05:15 AM
Bob mentioned being careful about basing your value of an item by the results of one auction. First and foremost, the item has to be the same and the condition has to be same.

Collectors need to stay aware that some sellers attempt to manipulate perceived values by setting artificially high "Buy it Now" or reserve prices and by running a phony auction to inflate the winning bid. A seller can work with phony shill bidders to run up an auction to an unrealistic price. The actual sale never really takes place at that price, since the winning bidder was actually the seller under a different name or his buddy. But you may come away thinking that that item really may be worth that money. Then the seller has people set up to pay too much when he actually sells the item.

Getting information from more than one source is always the safest thing. Hands-on experience, trusted friends and book knowledge is a powerful combination in any endevor.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#39482 Sun Aug 01 2004 06:45 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
The only thing you will regret is that you didn't buy the item you wanted, if you really want the item, buy it. The pumps and the cans are disapearing daily, there used to be 7 or 8 pumps on farms on my way to work, and in the past three yrs they have all been purchased or thrown away, as ebay brings in more collectors daily, I have found the prices going up and up.

#39483 Sun Aug 01 2004 07:28 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
One book that has not been mentioned is Guide to "Gasoline Logos" by Scott Benjamin and Wayne Henderson. It is one I can't do without. It pictures most of the oil company logos with dates as theu evolved over the years. No pricing, just a wealth of historical info.

#39484 Mon Aug 02 2004 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Wow, I leave town for a few days and my little question turns into a big deal. Thanks to those of you who reccommended your favorite books. That was very helpful. I do realize that prices in books are outdated, but they do help you determine rarity and how to date cans and signs. That is all I am looking for in a book. It's nice to know the difference between a $25 can and a $800 can when you go to a show or auction so you don't get burned. Thanks again for all the info. ~Jason

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

#39485 Mon Aug 02 2004 10:11 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Great thread! Besides carrying a couple of the books with you, keep a disposable camera in the console or glove box. Those little guys come in handy!! When you have the film developed, put dates, prices, where you took the picture, etc. on the back of the photos. Then you'll have your own reference book.

#39486 Tue Aug 03 2004 04:04 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
delete

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved