Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
I looked for this answer but didn't find anything. Can anyone please help with identifying an authentic vintage Standard White or Red Crown porcelain sign? The markings are so inconsistent. What are they supposed have? A few examples from Ebay. Which are real and which are fakes? Thank you

Left: AD3-904, Right: I.R.-6-51 (Periods after I and R)

Left: AD-1954, Right IR-1-4? (No periods behind the IR)

Left: AD–1954, Right I.R-1-48 (Period only after the I)

Left: AD4653, Right I.R.-7-5?

321031098946 – Pair
Left: AD5871, Right: Blank

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Unfortunately this is a sign that the repros have killed the market on Loryn. Every time I look at these signs I see repros selling for twice the price of an original, which is sad. I will go down your list and give my thoughts on each one. Repro, repro, real, real, and as far as I can tell the pair look real to me as well, but the pics in that listing are pretty poor.
I will share with you the two hints I read on here years ago, and that I go by to tell a real sign from a repro as it has not failed me. The first sign of a reproduction is the sign has grommets. I have yet to see an original with them. The second thing to look at is the corners of the sign. The reproductions have sharper, pointed corners. On an original sign the corners will follow the countour of a half dollar coin perfectly. I know this doesn't help with a sign on Ebay, but will when you find one in person. It's pretty easy to see the pointy corners on repros in photos though.
These two hints will help you find an original sign. When this topic has been discussed before, there was some back and forth on the "grommet rule" but I'm just sharing what works for me, and what I look for to make a comfortable purchase, so take it how one wants to. smile
Good luck, hope you find one you're comfortable purchasing.
Darin
Here is a photo of the half dollar in the corner....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I agree with Darin. The first two are fake, and the last three are real. I have also used the "half dollar for real, and dime for fake", for the contour of the corners. There has been a couple of threads on Oldgas, pertaining to this subject.

Always looking for Standard Oil of Indiana, or any globes!
Buddy Koehrn
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
That's great information Darin and I really appreciate it thank you very much. I was thinking the date stamping on the corners had more to do with it. Turns out it's the actual corners themselves.

A lot of great info on this form on fakes and it's really great having awesome resources like you to reach out to. I've been reading through all the ones on here that have been identified and have learned a lot. It's amazing how people will drop a couple hundred bucks on a sign on Ebay without even knowing what they're buying. I'd like to think they were just too trusting but would have to believe they're just naive. but also pretty sad how many are trying to pass something off as something it's not.

Thanks again and take care.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved