Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39521 Sat Feb 25 2006 03:32 PM
keithia Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I bought a Wichita visible pump the other day and have a couple questions. When I bought it the cylinder was badly broken and had to be removed before we could load it or it would have fallen out. This pump had no cylinder rods or gallon markers. To loosen the jar lid there was a threaded cap on the end of the center pipe that tightened up the cylinder. There are holes in the jar lid and cylinder base for rods but this pump appears to never had rods or gallon markers as the holes were plugged shut and painted over. It came off a farm and was used for fueling farm equipment. My question is did they have versions that did not use cylinder rods or gallon markers and could you tighten the cylinder down enough with the cap on the jar lid to keep it from leaking??

Also it has no electrical for the globe or lights. The pump is listed in Jack's book but the version shown there has lights coming from under the bonnett. The top looks more like the Hayes version without lights but the storage door is marked Wichita Visible Gasoline Pump Company. Also the bell shaped bonnett will not take a globe. Any thoughts.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#39522 Sat Feb 25 2006 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have been thinking about that same thing about the rods, I have seen a lot of those like that around here?

Several of the Visi's I have bought apear to have never had lights either.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#39523 Sat Feb 25 2006 03:41 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
There are thousands of Canadian Clervisions that do not use external tie rods. They use a nut and lead washer in the middle.

The glass cylinder does not know if there are 10 external or one central rod holding it.

It works..

#39524 Sat Feb 25 2006 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pump companies made several differant options for each model.

A center pipe or rods are to hold everything together, not to make the seal. For that they used LITHARGE GLYCERIN to seal the glass to metal. The cylinder sits on a cork gasket, then it it sealed with LITHARGE GLYCERIN.
Dick

#39525 Sat Feb 25 2006 04:18 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
This is where the etched cylinder would comeinto place.My hayes I just sold had no rods also.

------------------

#39526 Tue Feb 28 2006 09:58 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Keith, I made rods for my Wichita. Thought it might secure the cylinder better if I ever moved it and I like the looks of it better. I think most had an etched 27" cylinder and no internal markers. I ran an electric wire up the center pipe for a bulb. Looks nicer lit up even though it probably didn't have lights.

Rod
Rod likes globes that light up.

------------------

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved