Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
SoCo66 Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings:

Can any of you Conoco collectors out there specifically identify the date of use for the depicted Travel Club decal/sticker?

I recently picked this up, but it did not come with any other associated items that would aid in dating it,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

TC decal 02.jpg

Patrick S.
Looking for Conoco (1929-'69) - Touraide, Travel Club, Colorado-related
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
possibly mid 30's, ebay # 160977391650.. cool

RANDY
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Patrick
My guess is 1932, I think that is the earliest I have seen it in the old Conoco magazines.
Ric

Wanted: Conoco, Marland, Eason, Cliff Brice, Speedway and Oval E stuff!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Conoco "Touraide" & "Travel Club" was there a difference?.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: DuceCpe
Patrick
My guess is 1932, I think that is the earliest I have seen it in the old Conoco magazines.
Ric

...I'm going to go a little bit later than that, judging by the attire of the lady riding the passport...1937...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
Originally Posted By: DuceCpe
Patrick
Ric

...I'm going to go a little bit later than that, judging by the attire of the lady riding the passport...1937...

I'd have to agree! def around mid-late 30's attire.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
SoCo66 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: advertologist
Conoco "Touraide" & "Travel Club" was there a difference?.. cool

Randy:

Conoco's Travel Club was the company's customer registry which afforded VIP status at Conoco service stations to its members whom were issued a 'Passport' which also included a windshield sticker for identification of the member's vehicle by service station attendants. Passport holders could obtain custom (individual) route maps, camp/hotel directories, state/area specific travel brochures, etc. All of this literature was provided by the Concoco Travel Bureau (CTB) which was based in Denver, CO and offered from the early- to mid-1930s.

By the mid-30s (ca. 1936) the CTB began offering free custom trip planning services which provided a 'Touraide' package which contained much of the same previously mentioned literature, all together in a single spiral-bound booklet that was customized for the specific trip. COC continued offering this custom trip planning service into the late-50s (ca. 1958) when it was cancelled (due to cost), however the non-customized road atlases continued to be branded with the Touraide name into the mid-to late-1960s. The high expense of this service is noted with the price of $0.25 printed on the cover of the 1960-'65 editions!

While similar products/services (both provided by the CTB), in general the Travel Club and its associated literature pre-dated the Touraide service.

Best regards,

Patrick S.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Pat, that kinda dates these decals:.. cool

IMG_0593[2].JPG

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Notice both Travel Club & Touraide decals were used before & after 1948 as both are with & without the green on the outer triangle of the Conoco logo.. cool

IMG_0594[1].JPG IMG_0595[1].JPG

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Those travel club stickers are just amazing!

SoCo66 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Pat, that kinda dates these decals:.. cool

Randy:

Wouldn't it be nice if all this could be so easily categorized into nice, neat little boxes. Your comment that "both Travel Club & Touraide decals were used before & after 1948 as both are with & without the green on the outer triangle of the Conoco logo" sort of shoots this theory down.

These 'states' stickers differ somewhat from the Travel Club membership decals in that the former were not issued from the Conoco Travel Bureau (CTB), but rather available for purchase as souvenirs from the individual service stations along ones' travel route. The existence of the post-'48, green-bordered logo 'Travel Club' variety is a bit perplexing as this was well outside the (ca. 1930-'36) range of most all other 'Travel Club' related ephemera.

One more mystery to be solved... That's what makes this fun, for me anyway, as I enjoy the challenge of research even more than the acquisition of the physical "stuff".

smile

Patrick S.
SoCo66 Offline OP
OP Offline
Notice both Travel Club & Touraide decals were used before & after 1948 as both are with & without the green on the outer triangle of the Conoco logo.. cool

Hadn't given this much thought as I've not really gotten into this genre, but am now wondering if the same (multiple logo variations) also applies to the states' souvenir tumblers which were also available for purchase at local service stations. A quick search of eBay shows five different; all displaying the "Travel Club" logo without the green border.

IA_tumbler.jpg

Patrick S.
SoCo66 Offline OP
OP Offline
But we digress... So back to the topic of the original post.

Here are two variations of the Travel Club membership decals which I feel (relatively) confident in dating based upon dated material which accompanied them...

TC1.jpg

Patrick S.
SoCo66 Offline OP
OP Offline
...and here are two more, which I've yet been unable to date with any confidence... Anyone else have any info on these?

My suspicion regarding the one (on left) is that this may have been the first variation used ca. 1930-32. The second one (at right), incorporates an image of the ca. 1933 Passport, so I am guessing that this sticker would correspond with that passport, but again this is only speculation on my part.

Any additional confirmed information would be greatly appreciated.

TC2.jpg
Last edited by SoCo66; Sat Feb 23 2013 09:24 AM. Reason: added additional info

Patrick S.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: SoCo66
Hadn't given this much thought as I've not really gotten into this genre, but am now wondering if the same (multiple logo variations) also applies to the states' souvenir tumblers which were also available for purchase at local service stations. A quick search of eBay shows five different; all displaying the "Travel Club" logo without the green border.

...I saw those - to me they just look like juice glasses to which someone has affixed a decal...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved